Samsung not separating OLED business [updated]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2016
Samsung Display, the largest OLED manufacturer in the world and a key display supplier for Apple's entire range of products, was rumored to spin off its OLED business as a separate entity from its money-losing LCD operations. But the company later issued a statement denying the report [updated]

Citing an official familiar with the company's decision, The Korea Times originally reported on Monday that Samsung Display has separated from the OLED business devision, and some employees have shifted to the new OLED-focused outfit. The decision was made to help Samsung restructure some of its unprofitable businesses, as LCD production for phones and tablets has become less sustainable due to cheap Chinese competitors.

The official said the move will give Samsung an "exit strategy" from the LCD business, as the legacy display technology is no longer profitable. Samsung still plans to remain in the LCD business, particularly with its HDTV lineup, but sees OLEDs taking a larger share of the personal computing market for small- and mid-size displays.

Update: Samsung Display contacted AppleInsider to deny the Korea Times report, saying it has not spun off its OLED business and that it plans to continue developing both LCD and OLED products.

Monday's report reiterated earlier claims that Samsung has won the bulk of assembly for an OLED display expected to be found in Apple's 2017 iPhone. Reports have suggested that the 10th-anniversary iPhone will be a radical redesign, featuring an edge-to-edge curved OLED display that will conceal the Touch ID fingerprint sensor, camera and speaker within the screen itself.

Apple currently has one OLED product in its lineup, the Apple Watch. As the largest OLED maker in the world, Samsung is believed to handle a share of the supply chain for the wearable device's display.

Samsung also builds LCD panels for Apple's wide range of products, including the iPhone and iPad. Apple is said to have passed on OLED in the iPhone thus far due to costs and production bottlenecks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    China's strategy of dumping continues to decimate all competitors.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Apple Insider:

"Apple is said to have passed on OLED in the iPhone thus far due to costs and production bottlenecks."

Yeah, those pesky production bottlenecks that only need a few little fab tweaks to solve:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/01/14/samsung-to-invest-up-to-747b-in-developing-flexible-oleds-for-future-iphones-report-claims

In other words, let's not perpetuate the myth that this is a long-overdue switch to OLED finally as slow and plodding Apple fixes a few "bottlenecks" by spending a bit more of its cash.

Your ealier story shows that it could not have happened until the Korean display makers mastered the technology well enough to commit billions to expanding production facilities. 

edited July 2016
  • Reply 3 of 14
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    All we *think* we know about Apple and OLEDs, is that they might be moving to them in 2017. Why people think there will be a wrap around screen, I don't understand. These are just mock-ups from people who know nothing about what Apple is planning.

So, will we see OLEDs in 2017? Possibly. Will we see a wrap around screen, um, well, maybe, but why?
    indyfxpatchythepirate
  • Reply 4 of 14
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    melgross said:
    All we *think* we know about Apple and OLEDs, is that they might be moving to them in 2017. Why people think there will be a wrap around screen, I don't understand. These are just mock-ups from people who know nothing about what Apple is planning.

So, will we see OLEDs in 2017? Possibly. Will we see a wrap around screen, um, well, maybe, but why?
    Exactly, we have heard "The next iPhone will have OLED display" for years on end. It will happen if and when OLED's are actually better than the LCD's (unlike samsung apple has no specific vested interest in OLED's leaving them free to choose the best display for the product at the time) As for the curved screen, a feature (that you can easily bend OLED's) in search of a need. Curving screens make the phone less useful and more prone to damage. Again Samsung is hamstrung by the fact that they are trying to promote their OLED OEM business (where they make considerably more $$) rather than simply making the best phone possible (which is what Apple has the ability to do)
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 14
    indyfx said:
    melgross said:

Exactly, we have heard "The next iPhone will have OLED display" for years on end. It will happen if and when OLED's are actually better than the LCD's (unlike samsung apple has no specific vested interest in OLED's leaving them free to choose the best display for the product at the time) As for the curved screen, a feature (that you can easily bend OLED's) in search of a need. Curving screens make the phone less useful and more prone to damage. Again Samsung is hamstrung by the fact that they are trying to promote their OLED OEM business (where they make considerably more $$) rather than simply making the best phone possible (which is what Apple has the ability to do)
    I guess you haven't been paying attention. The last several Galaxy S models received the highest rated display marks for any phone. Just do a search. Besides that, have you ever seen the blacks on an OLED device, especially in dimly lit rooms, it's awesome. OLED OLED OLED!!!!!! Can't come soon enough.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 6 of 14
    doozydozendoozydozen Posts: 539member
    For the love of humanity, can someone please describe what this rumored "curved" screen is proported to look like? My imagination cannot envision even one curved design that would improve usability...
  • Reply 7 of 14
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Apple do need to pull something out the hat with the iPhone 7.

I hate Android as an operating system and Samsung are scumbags but even so, the Galaxy S7 has a great screen, high DPI and an exceptional battery life despite the terribly inefficient OS that has been defecated into it.

The iPhone still kills the Galaxy phones on many areas like the OS, security, voice control, design, etc but the screen and the battery are the 2 things people notice the most.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Off Course China dumping(raw material to finished crappy products) is pain in neck for most of world but could this mean Apple may not buy future iphone/ipad/Macs OLED from Samsung ?
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 9 of 14
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    wood1208 said:
    Off Course China dumping(raw material to finished crappy products) is pain in neck for most of world but could this mean Apple may not buy future iphone/ipad/Macs OLED from Samsung ?
    Sure, right after the Chinese sink 15 Billion into building their own OLED production plants.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    evilution said:

I hate Android as an operating system and Samsung are scumbags but even so, the Galaxy S7 has a great screen, high DPI and an exceptional battery life despite the terribly inefficient OS that has been defecated into it.

The iPhone still kills the Galaxy phones on many areas like the OS, security, voice control, design, etc but the screen and the battery are the 2 things people notice the most.
    The DPI if you account for pentile is not much higher than the Iphone 6s+. Battery life is generally not considered "great" by any measure and throttling is just terrible. Higher heat will kill the battery much faster too, especially if the phone is intensely used.
    edited July 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 11 of 14
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    poffin77 said:
    evilution said:

Just curious ... how many Samsung Galaxy devices have you actually owned?
    Not even sure what your getting at there?
    Apple also kills it in reliability and actually supporting its device.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    poffin77 said:
    evilution said:

Just curious ... how many Samsung Galaxy devices have you actually owned?

The question was not directed at me, but I can proudly say -  "NONE!!!"
  • Reply 13 of 14
    pdbreskepdbreske Posts: 45member
    This is why sites like AppleInsider shouldn't post these ridiculous rumors, or maybe it's exactly why you post these rumors: First story reports on what we may or may not know while the second story issues a correction or update. Twice as many inches for the same amount of copy. Good job! Now that I think of it, why not just make up wild-ass rumors about everything and then, a day later, post a retraction. Brilliant! I'll take one percent of the click-through as payment for this idea. You're welcome.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    iushntiushnt Posts: 23member
    foggyhill said:
    evilution said:

The DPI if you account for pentile is not much higher than the Iphone 6s+. Battery life is generally not considered "great" by any measure and throttling is just terrible. Higher heat will kill the battery much faster too, especially if the phone is intensely used.
    2 of my friends switched to Galaxy S7  from their iPhone 6. They are really satisfied with their purchase. Specially with the  camera, screen and battery life. Haven't heard heat issue from them yet.