Browser-based Apple Pay predicted to chip away at PayPal's dominance with both consumers & merchant

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    palegolas said:
    Exciting, however it has to be available worldwide. I understand that the Apple Pay hardware has to be launched county by country.. But the web Apple Pay should be easier to implement, since it's software only.

Actually, no, the delay in rolling out Apple Pay worldwide isn't the hardware, the phones all have the needed hardware, and most places have compatible readers by now. It's getting the banks, credit unions, and finance companies to sign on (and in some instances, the retailers). The card issuer has to allow you to connect Apple Pay to your account, and in some countries, the banks are resisting that because they think Apple's fees are too high.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    anome said:
    palegolas said:
    Exciting, however it has to be available worldwide. I understand that the Apple Pay hardware has to be launched county by country.. But the web Apple Pay should be easier to implement, since it's software only.

Actually, no, the delay in rolling out Apple Pay worldwide isn't the hardware, the phones all have the needed hardware, and most places have compatible readers by now. It's getting the banks, credit unions, and finance companies to sign on (and in some instances, the retailers). The card issuer has to allow you to connect Apple Pay to your account, and in some countries, the banks are resisting that because they think Apple's fees are too high.
    This topic is about Apple Pay on the Web. AFAICT, the way the web site is implemented determines what currency, what country's CC Processors handle  the request, and which CCs are accepted.  The only hardware required is an Apple Pay-compatible iDevice (and, for now, a Mac running Safari).
  • Reply 43 of 49
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I dislike Paypal's pretty exorbitant fee structure, particularly if you are accepting payments and a transaction involves currency conversions, however, on the whole, Paypal just works.  It has one single feature that Apple Pay won't and which a lot of sensible people will not switch because of, and that is it's anti-fraud  buyer protection, particularly when using eBay.  This feature of Paypal has done wonders to clean up fraud on eBay and is why i would never consider switching to an alternative payment mechanism that didn't have an equivalent feature.  On multiple occasions I have had a problem with sellers on eBay and have used Paypal's dispute resolution mechanism to get my money back in every single instance.  I can't imagine why anyone would want to use Apple Pay on eBay and with many other classes of sellers on the internet in preference to Paypal, just because of this aspect alone.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    cnocbui said:
    I dislike Paypal's pretty exorbitant fee structure, particularly if you are accepting payments and a transaction involves currency conversions, however, on the whole, Paypal just works.  It has one single feature that Apple Pay won't and which a lot of sensible people will not switch because of, and that is it's anti-fraud  buyer protection, particularly when using eBay.  This feature of Paypal has done wonders to clean up fraud on eBay and is why i would never consider switching to an alternative payment mechanism that didn't have an equivalent feature.  On multiple occasions I have had a problem with sellers on eBay and have used Paypal's dispute resolution mechanism to get my money back in every single instance.  I can't imagine why anyone would want to use Apple Pay on eBay and with many other classes of sellers on the internet in preference to Paypal, just because of this aspect alone.

One of the advantages of paying with a credit card is that you have recourse if a vendor fails to fulfill his side of the purchase to your satisfaction.

I've only had to use this a few times for many online purchases.  

I see no reason that the fact that you payed with Apple Pay, * instead of exposing your CC and personal info, would affect your recourse with the CC company.

* approved, encrypted, secure, private, one-time token

edited June 2016
  • Reply 45 of 49
    zab the fabzab the fab Posts: 303member
    I have been wondering, ever since the rumors arrived, that  Pay on the web could be used as the ultimate spam killer. Instead of using all these "are you human" tests, could ask people to "verify their credit card", except now the user would of course not be handing over private information anymore due to the privacy of  Pay.

The user is verified as human, without revealing private information to the website.

Is  Pay really the spam killer 2000 ??? it might create an entirely new internet?
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 46 of 49
    I assume online shops will still need those "payment gateways" or will Apple Pay on the web change that?
  • Reply 47 of 49
    No one knows, or no one cares, or no one sees?
  • Reply 48 of 49
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 49 of 49
    ireland said:
    PayPal works, but in the past when I've had issues their support was so bad it's not funny. I literally got locked out of my account for 3 months through no fault of my own because that was their policy.
    Everything about PayPal's user experience is terrible, from their relentless attempts to use your checking account instead of your credit card to their obnoxious interstitial ads when you're trying to quickly access your account information.
    You know, I called Paypal tech support to set my priority method of payment back to my credit card and not my checking account. It didn't work when I tried it myself. They said no problem, but they had no success. As said above, every payment defaults to linked checking rather than credit card automatically. I can't wait to ditch Paypal.