Apple releases first public betas of iOS 10, macOS Sierra [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2016
Fulfilling a promise it made at WWDC in June, Apple has released the first public betas of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra on Thursday, giving an early glimpse at software that won't be finished until sometime this fall. [Updated]

Access to the both downloads is restricted to members of the Apple Beta Software Program. Unlike Apple's developer program, however, the Beta Software Program is free, and should offer more stable code than some developer seeds.

Users should nevertheless be cautious about installing beta code on a primary device, since it can still potentially cause issues like crashes, battery drain, or slow performance.

The public betas are based on the second developer seeds, which were released on Tuesday. The Sierra beta added support for the planned Auto Unlock feature, while the iOS 10 update included numerous cosmetic and feature changes, such as organ donation registration in Health.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Been chomping at the bit for this one
    macxpressmagman1979jbishop1039
  • Reply 2 of 26
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    levi said:
    Been chomping at the bit for this one
    Me too...I'm hoping macOS Sierra will work fine in a Parallels VM. Then I can play and just erase if necessary without harming my actual Mac. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 26
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Do we really need another iOS so soon?
    I only installed iOS9 a few months ago, simply because it was needed for an App I wanted.
    I'm just getting used to iOS9, which includes Apple's latest under handed games to get me on iCloud which I don't need.

iOS9 took half of my notes to iCloud, without my permission. Took some time to extract myself from that privacy attack.
    Perhaps lack of support for my 1 year old 5c will save me !   B)
  • Reply 4 of 26
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    josha said:
    I only installed iOS9 a few months ago, simply because it was needed for an App I wanted.
    I'm just getting used to iOS9, which includes Apple's latest under handed games to get me on iCloud which I don't need.

iOS9 took half of my notes to iCloud, without my permission. Took some time to extract myself from that privacy attack.
    Perhaps lack of support for my 1 year old 5c will save me !   B
    Once a year, my friend. Just because you decided to upgrade just a few months ago doesn't mean that everyone feels as you do.

You must have signed on to iCloud, or it doesn't do anything. You can choose what you want saved there.
    edited July 2016 lollivermike1spheric
  • Reply 5 of 26
    josha said:

Nobody makes you upgrade right away. Some purposely don't upgrade until a few after a few maintenance releases. For those like me who upgraded to iOS 9 as soon as it came out its been quite a while since I've upgraded. Not everyone is in your shoes. Apple can't cater to your and only your needs. It has to keep pushing forward. 
    magman1979nolamacguylollivermike1
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Not available yet, it seems. Hopefully soon.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 7 of 26
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    josha said:

Are you still using Windows XP too?
    magman1979mwhitefastasleeptdknoxlollivermike1jackeebleu
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    josha said:

It didn't do anything without your permission. You just  didn't bother to read the screen before hitting the OK Button. 
    mwhitenolamacguytdknoxlollivermike1
  • Reply 9 of 26
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    josha said:

Under handed games? Privacy attack? I suppose you wear a tin foil hat when you walk outside your faraday cage at home?

Of all the iPhone's I've upgraded, or helped upgraded, it's never automatically moved anything to iCloud without first prompting the user, and getting consent, including Notes contents. I call user error / ignorance on this for not reading what's presented on screen during the update process.

BTW, I'd be dumping the 5C ASAP, as it doesn't have the Secure Enclave, which is what keeps you safe. It seems privacy and safety are prime concerns for you...
    mwhitenolamacguytdknoxlolliver
  • Reply 10 of 26
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Excited to get cracking with this Beta Test. iOS 10 makes a lot of changes I really like, particularly with regards to Notifications, Search & Lookup. It reminds me of the kind of clever, systemwide changes brought in with iOS 5 (That was the version that introduced Banner Notifications, Notification Centre and deep Twitter (later leading to the same status for Facebook in iOS 6) integration. In other words, an update focused on letting you do more without leaving an App or other screen.
    lolliver
  • Reply 11 of 26
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Got it! (macOS Sierra, location Netherlands)
    And now iOS 10 also, nice!
    edited July 2016 lollivermagman1979
  • Reply 12 of 26
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    josha said:

Damn you innovation! But on the bright side, with iOS 10 you'll at least have the option to delete/hide some stock apps.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Waiting for the white line to finish growing.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Just finished updating.  Make sure to check your Quick Dock after install.  It turned on my Bluetooth without asking.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    So far, pretty much so good. I don't know if it's due to the update to the app, but Apple's News app, which I use constantly, seems to have a problem. The top stories are repeating themselves one on top of the other as you scroll up, and nothing newer is appearing. I'm going to comment about that in the beta program now.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member

I could have sworn Mac Mini (Late 2009) was supported. Thought I saw a slide that said so, at the presentation.

When I click download, from my purchased tab in the App Store,
    I get "This version of OS X 10.12 cannot be installed not his computer"
    Bummer !!

Installed on my iMac 27" (Late 2012) ….but I want this on my Mini too !!

• Reply 17 of 26

I could have sworn Mac Mini (Late 2009) was supported. Thought I saw a slide that said so, at the presentation.

When I click download, from my purchased tab in the App Store,
    I get "This version of OS X 10.12 cannot be installed not his computer"
    Bummer !!

Installed on my iMac 27" (Late 2012) ….but I want this on my Mini too !!

Compatible Macs:

2009 and later
    • MacBook
    • iMac
    2010 and later
    • MacBook Air 
    • MacBook Pro
    • Mac mini 
    • Mac Pro
  • Reply 18 of 26
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    macxpress said:
    2010 and later
    • Mac Pro
    And I call so much bullshit on that that I'm going to try to get it running on my Gainestown.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    IMHO Macs are such a huge investment--not just monetarily, but administratively, too--Apple should support them longer than 6-7 years. Going back to the fully 64-bit era of 2008 still seems quite reasonable for Sierra.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    BuffyzDeadBuffyzDead Posts: 356member
    macxpress said:
    Compatible Macs:

2009 and later
    • MacBook
    • iMac
    2010 and later
    • MacBook Air 
    • MacBook Pro
    • Mac mini 
    • Mac Pro
    Well that Sucks !!!
    I hope someone gets to work on making this run on a Mac Mini Late 2009.
    I won't care if it's a hack / workaround.

If it can run on a Macbook and an iMac of the same year, then it should run on the Mac mini just fine.

I have been running every OS on my Mac Mini, right through the most current El Capitan 10.11.6 Beta, without skipping a beat, much less breaking a sweat !!

NOW I am ticked Off !!
    tallest skil