Apple rival Samsung posts high Q2 profits on rebounding phone division

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Tuubor said:

Jeknetwork. Dude. You really need to chillax with your novel writing. These are only mobilephones and tech companies.
    i appreciated jeknetwork's comments.  i don't think you understand Tuubor that we are fighting religous wars here.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    igorsky said:
    k2kw said:
    Their component division is down because the make some of the A series chips for Apple. 

The S7 is a beautiful design.  The iPhone 6/6s is Meh.  The iPhone six sold big numbers because of the screen size increase despite a lame design.

Thats why Samsung is up and apple is struggling.

Opinions can't be used as evidence, fyi.
    That's just, like, your opinion man.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    anheloanhelo Posts: 7member
    macxpress said:
    igorsky said:
    All your reply did was make it painfully obvious that you didn't understand @stantheman 's point all.  Apple doesn't buy discounted components from itself...get it?
    Its hard to see someone's point when Android fanboy'ism overshadows you....They signed up just to say that so its obvious what side they're on. 
    Android fanboy / Apple fanboy.  Is that still a thing?  Give it a rest already.  
    dasanman69singularity
  • Reply 24 of 28
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member

Although the company won't post in-depth results until later this month, Samsung said that its Q2 profits are estimated to have grown 17.4 percent year-over-year to 8.1 trillion won ($7 billion), according to Reuters. The company's mobile division is thought to have been the top profit driver.
    Ok... so their profits grew year-over-year... but they still aren't as big as they were two years ago.

Samsung made 8.49 trillion won in profit in early 2014... compared to a projected 8.1 trillion this quarter.

I wonder if that's Samsung's ceiling?

It will happen to every company eventually… some say we’re reaching peak-smartphone.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 25 of 28
    axcoatlaxcoatl Posts: 21member
    What I would like to know is: when did we miss the 'Peak Samsung Galaxy' and why didn't we read some devastating news about this Samsung-specific 'peak'?

We had a lot of disastrous news about some 'Peak iPhone' mysteria in the beginning of this year, even though everybody knew that the reason for the decreasing iPhone sales figures was due to extremely good sales of the iPhone 6/6 Plus end of  2014/ beginning of 2015.

Now, as far as I understand Samsung had its 'Peak Galaxy' with the S4 - and nobody seemed to be interested to even write down a single bad news about Samsung 'disaster'. All I read was some 'it's due to xyz' news, but no panic news about burning bushes or burning factory plants because S5/S6 sales figures were worse than S4 sales figures.

They only reported that Samsung is in trouble due to missing estimates - kind of 'normal' news about a 'normal' company and 'normal' trouble.

Absolutely no 'Samsung is doomed' news out there. 

Now, remember what kind of news we had to read about Apple and when they had worse y2y sales iPhone figures for the first time?

I still wonder why Apple is not yet doomed, as should I had believed these news, Apple should already be history now - thanks to 'Peak iPhone' and the disastrous stories some news guys startet to push into our heads.

We soon will get the Q3/2016 results from Apple and I expect that they will be slightly better than expected (due to iPhone SE), and similar to the strong Q3/2015 results, but even if they should be much better than expected the same guys will start to write destructive stories and bad news and fall into the panic mode again.

Thus, right now Samsung posted (it is only estimates) that their Q2/2016 results will be better than expected, but they will not break down their results to S7 sales figures anyway, and we will have to wait until end of July to receive the final results.

We should keep in mind: the news above just includes the analysts expectations - they 'think' that better sales figures might be out there and they 'think' this might be due to better S7 sales figures.

But: analysts might indeed be wrong (not for the first time) and these stories about better S7 sales figures might also be just a news (and marketing) fata morgana.  

As long as Samsung does not post real S7 sales figures, we will never be to 'know' what really is going on.

Thus, at the end of the day it will be a question of believe. 

Well, I do not prefer to believe what Samsung and analysts try to make me believe. And without reale Samsung S7 sales figures I am not willing to believe that it is a winner story.

Both, Samsung and analysts, are sources I would never trust.

edited July 2016
  • Reply 26 of 28
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Samsung is a hugely diversified company.  Peak Galaxy just doesn't matter in the scheme of things.  Apple makes 75% or so of it's profit from just one product, the iPhone, so it's a bigger issue, particularly when there are a lot of signs pointing to Smartphone saturation.

OnePlus 3 beats iPhone 6S, LG G5 and Xperia Z5 in best phone ranking

A brand new, unlocked, iPhone 6S starts at $649, and a Samsung Galaxy S7 starts at $700. They’re both great phones, but other than brand names, it’s not entirely clear what you’re getting for your money, at least when compared to what else is on the market. Much like the new Sprint commercials that question why it’s not better to pay considerably less for about the same level of service, it’s worth questioning if you need to shell out so much for a new smartphone.

The latest smartphone from upstart Chinese manufacturer OnePlus seems to be an answer to that question: The OnePlus 3 is pretty much on par with every other manufacturers’ top-of-the-line devices, but at a little more than half the cost.
    In terms of quality relative to cost, the OnePlus 3 and iPhone 6s Plus are about as different as two flagship smartphones can be. One crams a surprisingly high-end spec sheet into an aggressively low price tag; the other relies on worldwide brand trust and recognition to build sky-high profit margins into its (usually excellent) phones' prices. Read on, as we compare their features and specs
    Not exactly stuff to inspire loading more AAPL into your portfolio.

• Reply 27 of 28
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    maestro64 said:
    Samsung 'buys' conpinents from one of its own divisions to manufacture phones. That means if it gets a great 'bargain' on components, the phone division will be more profitable and the components division will be less profitable. Now, I'm sure that Samsung execs are too ethical to manipulate its earnings report, but this week's news has reported that profits from Samsung's components division are weaker than expected, while earnings from phones have been stronger than expected.

Yes it is all a shell game, increase profits could have come from any number of their business units, keep in mind the statement is based on a Reuters report not an actually statement from Samsung. They only said they dropped products and streamline costs. This does not increase profits by 17%. We also know that Samsung as heavily engaged on BOGO activities this last quarter they were trying to move phones anyway they could. I am not sure how you grow profits when you are giving stuff away.
    Samsung doesn't do the BOGOs, the carrier's do. Also there are plenty of BOGOs for iPhones as well. I see BOGOs for iPhones everyday. 

Partly true, however in the case of Samsung, and even Apple, many time the Manufacturer is involved in the BOGO the carrier is not covering 100% of the cost. Apple does not allow anyone to discount their product without their permission. This is why they price is pretty much the exact same price no matter where you buy it. Apple follow Marketing 101 which said the price is always the price, never lower or discount it otherwise you devalue the product. Also Samsung said they were pushing incentives like TV's, Watches and such. as part of the BOGO activities. Some caries where offering a free Samsung TV if you signed up a new plan along with a Samsung phone. Carriers do not sell TV so Samsung was giving them the TV. 
  • Reply 28 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hooray for Samsung! The future looks so much better with them still in the picture!  :s