Apple CEO Tim Cook calls for racial equality in light of US shooting deaths

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2016
In light of two fatal police shootings of black men in as many days, Apple chief executive Tim Cook voiced a call for justice on Thursday, calling the recent events "senseless killings."

Civil rights leader Rep. John Lewis (left) meets with Tim Cook at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif.

In his tweet, Cook alluded to two police shootings that left two black men dead this week.

On Tuesday, Alton Sterling, 37, was killed buy Baton Rouge. La., police responding to a 911 call, and yesterday Philando Castile died from wounds sustained during a routine traffic stop in Falcon Heights, Minn. Cellphone video footage from both encounters surfaced on social media and the web, sparking outrage nationwide.

"Senseless killings this week remind us that justice is still out of reach for many," Cook said. "We can and must do better."

The message was in part a response to a tweet from civil rights leader and Georgia congressman John Lewis, who earlier on Thursday reminded followers that he was jailed for using a "white" restroom in Mississippi. Lewis attached his mugshot as a memento to the racial inequity he and many others believe still pervades America. He was released 55 years ago to the day.

During a book tour last year, Lewis visited Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., where he talked one-on-one with Cook in a closed door meeting

Cook has long been an outspoken supporter of the civil rights movement, using his status in the technology community as a platform to speak plainly about gender and race inequality. His philanthropic work earned him an award from the Robert F. Kennedy Human Rights organization, where he now serves as a member of the board.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 121
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    Great timing on this article, AI. Great timing. /s
    joseph_went_southalexmacmike1tallest skilSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 121
    andrewj5790andrewj5790 Posts: 296member
    Let the investigations play out. If the police were guilty of murder, throw them under the jail, then, capital punishment is a good method of stopping murderers. 

Also, 4 police officers are dead tonight, anyone think we'll hear from Tim Cook on that? 
    monstrosityredraider11mike1spacekidTurboPGTtallest skil
  • Reply 3 of 121
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Real smart Tim Cook! And real smart Obama! 

Thanks to Obama and the entire liberal media, many police officers have been shot dead tonight, and many more wounded! The liberal media and the left has been on a Jihad against the police for a long time now. This is the result of their lies, their instigation and their rhetoric.

I wonder if Obama will invite the shooters to the Whitehouse and give them a medal? The Whitehouse has hosted BLM before and Obama loves BLM.

Once again, Apple is on the wrong side of history, taking sides with the bad guys.

joseph_went_southmonstrosityredraider11alexmacmike1cyberzombietrollkillerthebuddagatorguytallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 121
    Yep, this is Obama's making. Even the good sheriff David Clark agrees with me.

And I've said it before, but I sure wish that Apple would STFU about politics!

joseph_went_southpotatoleeksoupmonstrosityredraider11TurboPGTtrollkillerthebuddabdkennedy1002tallest skilSpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 121
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    oh boy here goes
    londorbaconstangcnocbuilatifbpiosenthusiastdementuschikan
  • Reply 6 of 121
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    This is why many people respect and buy apple products all over the world. They take the right side of history, not just the path of least resistance. The fact that 4+ officers were gunned down tonight does not diminish the significance of this issue.
    Rayz2016londorbaconstangAnicnocbuilatifbpradarthekatsphericiosenthusiastmobius
  • Reply 7 of 121
    I also have some common sense advice to anybody of any color or race, if they wish to avoid getting shot by the police.

Don't be a moron. Don't resist arrest. Be respectful, don't be a douchebag and I probably shouldn't even have to write this last one, but don't go for their gun or attempt to get violent with the police.

Most of the people who have gotten shot deserved what they got, due to their incredible stupidity. I don't care what color you are, don't resist arrest. If you do, then whatever happens to you will be your own making, and I couldn't care less what happens to you in that case.
    joseph_went_southmonstrosityredraider11mike1LoneStar88ladunn428TurboPGTtrollkillerjony0
  • Reply 8 of 121
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    schlack said:
    This is why many people respect and buy apple products all over the world. They take the right side of history, not just the path of least resistance. The fact that 4+ officers were gunned down tonight does not diminish the significance of this issue.
    I find that people who talk about sides of history are usually not worth listening to. 

apple ][ said:
    I also have some common sense advice to anybody of any color or race, if they wish to avoid getting shot by the police.

Don't be a moron. Don't resist arrest. Be respectful, don't be a douchebag and I probably shouldn't even have to write this last one, but don't go for their gun or attempt to get violent with the police.

Most of the people who have gotten shot deserved what they got, due to their incredible stupidity. I don't care what color you are, don't resist arrest. If you do, then whatever happens to you will be your own making, and I couldn't care less what happens to you in that case.
    Even though you've changed your profile pic, I still can't help but read all your posts in Trump's voice. 
    joseph_went_southsphericmobiusrob53iqatedoMacProdementuschikanmuppetry
  • Reply 9 of 121

Even though you've changed your profile pic, I still can't help but read all your posts in Trump's voice. 
    I think that I'll probably be changing it back again soon! We're all going to be hearing a lot more of his voice soon, perhaps for 8 more years!
    joseph_went_southredraider11trollkiller
  • Reply 10 of 121
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    apple ][ said:

is it the law in America that the sentence for resisting arrest is death? because that's kind of messed up
    canukstormlondorpropodSolibaconstanglatifbpsphericiosenthusiastanantksundarammobius
  • Reply 11 of 121
    why- said:
    apple ][ said:

is it the law in America that the sentence for resisting arrest is death? because that's kind of messed up
    No, but a police officer is a human and is going to react. When you threaten someone with a gun, or try to grab theirs, naturally a human being fears for his safety. Especially when he knows you've got a violent rap sheet three city blocks long. 

It's like crossing the street on foot. You might have the right of way but if you step in front of a moving car you're going to get hurt. People who didn't get into altercations with the police didn't get shot by police. 
    redraider11mike1thewhitefalconTurboPGTgatorguy
  • Reply 12 of 121
    why- said:
    You can't fix stupid.

Me? I'm smart enough to not engage in a physical struggle with police officers who have guns, and who are known to use them too, if needed. 

If somebody chooses to do so, then there are sometimes consequences. This is darwinism 101.
    edited July 2016 monstrosityredraider11mike1joseph_went_southgatorguynikon133
  • Reply 13 of 121
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,693member
    apple ][ said:
    Yep, this is Obama's making. Even the good sheriff David Clark agrees with me.

And I've said it before, but I sure wish that Apple would STFU about politics!

It isn't Apple, it's Tim Cook.I don't see any other major Apple exec getting as involved politically.
  • Reply 14 of 121
    It isn't Apple, it's Tim Cook.I don't see any other major Apple exec getting as involved politically.
    True, but Tim Cook is the CEO, he is the lead man, the numero uno guy at Apple.
    redraider11
  • Reply 15 of 121
    Cook, like the other honorees, accepted his award (a bust of RFK) from Ethel Kennedy, Robert F. Kennedy’s widow, and his daughter Kerry Kennedy. He sat near celebrities who participated in the night’s program, including actors Sam Waterston, Catherine Keener, Louis Gossett Jr. and Dennis Haysbert. The program highlighted the Robert F. Kennedy Center’s work in the Dominican Republic, Haiti and Nigeria, as well as its support of the Black Lives Matter movement and farm worker justice in New York. - See more at: http://alabamanewscenter.com/2015/12/09/apple-ceo-tim-cook-says-the-world-needs-robert-f-kennedy-style-optimism/#sthash.R8fkABQY.dpuf

Interesting. 

Should Tim Cook return his award from that foundation that may have supported the cop killers?
    TurboPGT
  • Reply 16 of 121
    phone-ui-guyphone-ui-guy Posts: 1,019member
    apple ][ said:

Did you actually look into what happened to Philando Castile? Sounds like he was doing all of those things and still got killed. He was reportedly reaching for his wallet after he had declared he had a concealed firearm and a permit for it. Yet the cop thought he was reaching for his gun and shot him. If we trust someone to be licensed to carry the gun, the police should have some trust that the person is not going to pull the weapon after they declare they have it as they are legally required to do. It is sad that his parents had told him to comply, comply, comply and he did and is still dead for what looks like being black.
    edited July 2016 londorwhy-baconstangAnilatifbpsphericrob53am8449loquiturronn
  • Reply 17 of 121
    Did you actually look into what happened to Philando Castile? 
    No, I have not followed that case at all, and it may very well have happened as you describe it. If there was anything criminal committed by the cops in that case, then they should obviously be charged and prosecuted. 

One of the cases that began the whole BLM movement was based on lies and was a fraud. The Michael Brown shooting. He got exactly what was coming to him. The douchebag attempted to take the officer out. The officer won, and good for him. And that whole "don't shoot" crap with the hands up garbage? It's all a lie. Never happened.

czfyjfmike1joseph_went_southSpamSandwich
  • Reply 18 of 121
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    apple ][ said:
    Real smart Tim Cook! And real smart Obama! 

Thanks to Obama and the entire liberal media, many police officers have been shot dead tonight, and many more wounded! The liberal media and the left has been on a Jihad against the police for a long time now. This is the result of their lies, their instigation and their rhetoric.

I wonder if Obama will invite the shooters to the Whitehouse and give them a medal? The Whitehouse has hosted BLM before and Obama loves BLM.

Once again, Apple is on the wrong side of history, taking sides with the bad guys.

If you're so desperate for someone or something to blame,  the cell phone videos and social media are about a thousand times more influential to those who are protesting police oppression than anything said by the president and your mythical liberal media.  

londorbaconstangAnicnocbuilatifbpthedba
  • Reply 19 of 121
    flaneur said:
    If you're so desperate for someone or something to blame,  the cell phone videos and social media are about a thousand times more influential to those who are protesting police oppression than anything said by the president and your mythical liberal media.  
    What our so-called leader says and does is obviously important and influences many people. Even though he is completely incompetent, he is still currently the POTUS and he holds considerable power.

This is no surprise to me and to many others, as Obama has long been stoking anti-police rhetoric for a long time now. He also supports BLM, who have been holding many marches with their "kill all pigs" signs and chants. 

This is from last year:

Obama fuels the flames of the anti-cop movement

http://nypost.com/2015/10/24/obama-fuels-the-flames-of-the-anti-cop-movement/

edited July 2016
  • Reply 20 of 121
    Let the investigations play out. If the police were guilty of murder, throw them under the jail, then, capital punishment is a good method of stopping murderers. 

Also, 4 police officers are dead tonight, anyone think we'll hear from Tim Cook on that? 
    Violence promotes violence. We have neither police murdering nor the other way around here in Finland (well extremely rare cases), even if we have violent felons. People respect the police and they are friends of the people and people themselves. And what happened to diplomacy and negotiating?

Treat others like you want yourself to be treated. What is happening in the US is a spiral down to total anarchy. If people don't trust the police who will they trust. Themselves of course, and their right to use their own hands, if they think they will not get a fair trial. If a felon thinks he will most probably be executed, what has he to loose if he shoots some cops?

So is the GTA going to be just jailtime after a fair trial or is it going to include murder as well. Chose for yourself...

Desperate people do desperate things. A good question: Is this the result of upper IQ limit on people on the force and lack of gun control?
    edited July 2016 londorAnicnocbuiradarthekatsphericronnnikon133