Apple CEO Tim Cook calls for racial equality in light of US shooting deaths

Comments

• Reply 41 of 121
    Really?  Senseless?  We know this how? Tragic, yes. But we don't know the facts.  This is why there are animosities.  Let the system work before making judgements.  
  • Reply 42 of 121
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    Takes more than talk. Some who try to actually solve the problem are immediately labeled as racist. The problem is never going to be solved unless people are allowed to discuss solutions sanely.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 43 of 121
    LoneStar88LoneStar88 Posts: 325member
    apple ][ said:

Even though you've changed your profile pic, I still can't help but read all your posts in Trump's voice. 
    I think that I'll probably be changing it back again soon! We're all going to be hearing a lot more of his voice soon, perhaps for 8 more years!
    I agree! Hmmm, lots of "dislikes" from the bozos, hehe! ;-)
    apple ][Lib-Simulator
  • Reply 44 of 121
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    apple ][ said:
    Real smart Tim Cook! And real smart Obama! 

Thanks to Obama and the entire liberal media, many police officers have been shot dead tonight, and many more wounded! The liberal media and the left has been on a Jihad against the police for a long time now. This is the result of their lies, their instigation and their rhetoric.

I wonder if Obama will invite the shooters to the Whitehouse and give them a medal? The Whitehouse has hosted BLM before and Obama loves BLM.

Once again, Apple is on the wrong side of history, taking sides with the bad guys.

Waiting to hear Obama support US police as much as he does Muslims.
    jesusfreakjoseph_went_southapple ][Lib-Simulator
  • Reply 45 of 121
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    There's a rumor that Hillary Clinton is going to ask Tim Cook to serve in her administration once she's elected. Good I hope she does. He belongs in politics not running a major technology company.
    I just hope we can get Scott Forstall as CEO. Because I don't see anyone else qualified. 
  • Reply 46 of 121
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    There's a rumor that Hillary Clinton is going to ask Tim Cook to serve in her administration once she's elected. Good I hope she does. He belongs in politics not running a major technology company.
    I just hope we can get Scott Forstall as CEO. Because I don't see anyone else qualified. 
    Scott Forstall? That's a joke, right? How is he any more qualified than the leadership there now?
    dasanman69
  • Reply 47 of 121
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Ani said:
    First of all, I condemn shooting and killing police officers. Chances are high it will be the "wrong" officers anyway.

But as someone not living in the US, in a country with strict gun controls and a tiny portion of US gun deaths, I really wonder:

Gun proponents often quote the Second Amendment and somehow it always ends with the right to defend against an evil government, hence the need for assault rifles and other military grade weapons.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Obviously, this is not about guns for rabbit hunts (neither was it about killing children and random innocent citizens though). It seems that someone (or multiple persons) are taking the Second Amendment into real actions, not just a theoretical right.

I'm interested to learn how the NRA and their puppets are going to spin-doctor this.

You wanna talk about spin? There is no argument in favor of gun control that is even remotely sane, or devoid of utter spin. Gun violence is like a pebble in the shoe of the U.S. It doesn't even register on the radar as a real problem.

You can thank the AGENDA for keeping it on television, and telling you that its an issue. Its actually amazing to me today how easy it is for me to size someone up...I know everything about your (lack of) intelligence, but by whether or not you regurgitate the opinion the television told you to have.
    edited July 2016 longpath
  • Reply 48 of 121
    Scott Forstall? That's a joke, right? How is he any more qualified than the leadership there now?
    Who exactly would you want as CEO? Eddy? Dre? Craig? Phil? You need someone with a little charisma, so Jeff Williams is out. You also need someone who gets Apple.
  • Reply 49 of 121
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    How is a software engineer who hasn't engineered any software for four years qualified to lead a consumer electronics company?  Rather than the raft of hardware engineers, operations, or design guys that haven't been fired from Apple?
    londor
  • Reply 50 of 121
    crowley said:
    How is a software engineer who hasn't engineered any software for four years qualified to lead a consumer electronics company?  Rather than the raft of hardware engineers, operations, or design guys that haven't been fired from Apple?
    How was a hippie who wasn't involved in electronics design or coding, who was fired from Apple, qualified to lead it?
    Ani
  • Reply 51 of 121
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Who exactly would you want as CEO? Eddy? Dre? Craig? Phil? You need someone with a little charisma, so Jeff Williams is out. You also need someone who gets Apple.
    Why Scott though, especially when it's well known he didn't get along with the rest of the executive team? And why does it have to be someone from inside the company? Perhaps an outsider with fresh thinking is what Apple needs. 
  • Reply 52 of 121
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Right, Tim...senseless.  Except in Louisiana, the "victim" had an illegal gun concealed, was suspected of gun running, and had a long rap sheet.  Oh, and he physically resisted arrest.  But you know what happened, sir?  Right.  

Oh, and given last night's horror...you look like a fucking moron.  

edited July 2016 rogifan_newTurboPGTapple ][
  • Reply 53 of 121
    AniAni Posts: 5member
    Ani said:
    First of all, I condemn shooting and killing police officers. Chances are high it will be the "wrong" officers anyway.

But as someone not living in the US, in a country with strict gun controls and a tiny portion of US gun deaths, I really wonder:

Gun proponents often quote the Second Amendment and somehow it always ends with the right to defend against an evil government, hence the need for assault rifles and other military grade weapons.

Obviously, this is not about guns for rabbit hunts (neither was it about killing children and random innocent citizens though). It seems that someone (or multiple persons) are taking the Second Amendment into real actions, not just a theoretical right.

I'm interested to learn how the NRA and their puppets are going to spin-doctor this.

Not exactly sure what you're talking about. This was an act of terror, not someone defending themselves from a tyrannical government. You are really no better than the shooter in that you're condemning a whole group of people based on the action of a few, just like the shooter condemned the whole of police based on the actions of a few. 
    In my opinion it was an act of terror and I condemned the shooting. Not sure why you put me into the same basket as the shooters.

I just picked up a popular pro-gun argument derived from the Second Amendment and expressed my confusion about where people do draw the line. Isn't shooting police officers of a tyrannic government also an act of terror? And who decides whether the government is tyrannic? If law enforcement is killing people daily, often enough innocent citizens mind you, when is it acceptable that people make use of their right to bear arms and to fight the government?

As far as I understand, it is almost impossible to make such decisions with-out also committing an act of terror. The Second Amendment is a totally theoretical concept and I don't see how it can be applicable in a modern democratic country.

30,000 gun-related deaths each year. Including kids. No other civilised country on this planet is even close to these numbers. No other democracy on this planet would be able to defend such a death toll with some theoretical right that can't be executed with-out being an act of terror at the same time.
    londorbaconstangpropod
  • Reply 54 of 121
    longpathlongpath Posts: 393member
    apple ][ said:
    I also have some common sense advice to anybody of any color or race, if they wish to avoid getting shot by the police.

Don't be a moron. Don't resist arrest. Be respectful, don't be a douchebag and I probably shouldn't even have to write this last one, but don't go for their gun or attempt to get violent with the police.

Most of the people who have gotten shot deserved what they got, due to their incredible stupidity. I don't care what color you are, don't resist arrest. If you do, then whatever happens to you will be your own making, and I couldn't care less what happens to you in that case.

why- said:
    is it the law in America that the sentence for resisting arrest is death? because that's kind of messed up
    Actually, all laws have an implied maximum sentence of death:

Also, since when is it being a moron to immediately obey verbal commands from police officers? I know of at least two cases where a verbal command was given for identification, and the civilian complied immediately, which the officer mistook as a threatening move, which then led the officer to open fire. In the first instance, the officer was, thankfully a lousy shot and the victim survived; but in the case of Philando Castile, the groupings were sufficient for him to bleed out. Civilians, by and large, do not have training to deal with the stress of someone else violating every single firearm safety rule: http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757990_-1_757978_757978_image so it is perfectly reasonable that a command for identification would be complied with rapidly, in a desperate desire to not be seen as resisting.

Frankly, I believe that all police officers, in the event of a shooting, have an immediate duty of care to seek medical attention for all wounded parties, and that did not happen in Castile's case. Instead, additional officers wasted critical minutes comforting their colleague (it's on video), instead of calling dispatch for an ambulance. I also believe that anyone, civilian or government employee, who violates firearm safety rules should be held strictly liable, and qualified immunity should not apply.
    edited July 2016 Anilondorbaconstang
  • Reply 55 of 121
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    apple ][ said:
    I also have some common sense advice to anybody of any color or race, if they wish to avoid getting shot by the police.

Don't be a moron. Don't resist arrest. Be respectful, don't be a douchebag and I probably shouldn't even have to write this last one, but don't go for their gun or attempt to get violent with the police.

Most of the people who have gotten shot deserved what they got, due to their incredible stupidity. I don't care what color you are, don't resist arrest. If you do, then whatever happens to you will be your own making, and I couldn't care less what happens to you in that case.
    But but but, surely its racism? It has to be right? That's what it says on Twitter! You racist!

apple ][
  • Reply 56 of 121
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    apple ][ said:
    Yep, this is Obama's making. Even the good sheriff David Clark agrees with me.

And I've said it before, but I sure wish that Apple would STFU about politics!

Boy do I wish Tim Cook would spend more time improving products, pushing innovation, and improving investor equity instead of politicizing everything. Tim, if you want to run for political office resign from Apple and put your name in the hat next election. Considering Apple Stock reached an after hours low ($83.63) that hasn't been seen since 5/9/2014 ($83.64), Tim's focus isn't on Corporate Value.
  • Reply 57 of 121
    AniAni Posts: 5member
    TurboPGT said:
    You wanna talk about spin? There is no argument in favor of gun control that is even remotely sane, or devoid of utter spin. Gun violence is like a pebble in the shoe of the U.S. It doesn't even register on the radar as a real problem.
    If 30,000 deaths every year, including kids, is no real problem... I don't know what qualifies as a problem then. No other country has this scale of gun-related deaths, not even remotely. And there is no argument in favor of such loose gun regulations. I can't remember any country that has something like a Second Amendment, but people can buy certain guns for hunting or sporting under more or less strict regulations. Yet all of these countries have a tiny fraction of the gun-related deaths per capita the US have.

You can thank the AGENDA for keeping it on television, and telling you that its an issue. Its actually amazing to me today how easy it is for me to size someone up...I know everything about your (lack of) intelligence, but by whether or not you regurgitate the opinion the television told you to have.
    I don't need a TV to F up my opinion. I can read numbers and compare them between first world democracies. But not even Iran or Russia or any other tyrannic regime has death tolls that high, even when including state-organised killings.

The only agenda I see is that of the NRA and their puppets. Making blood money and paying others with blood money while promoting some weird wild west dream. It's sickening.
    cnocbuilondorbaconstangpropod
  • Reply 58 of 121
    I, for one, can see absolutely no downside in putting the guy responsible for the first version of Apple Maps in charge of the entire software, services, and hardware divisions of Apple...
    edited July 2016 londorRayz2016baconstang
  • Reply 59 of 121
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    How was a hippie who wasn't involved in electronics design or coding, who was fired from Apple, qualified to lead it?
    He probably wasn't in most regards, but most people consider him one of a kind. Scott Forstall, though he is surely talented, hardly seems in the same league. And I'm not sure why you bring up charisma, Forstall comes across like an android.

Why do you consider him to be qualified to lead Apple?
    londorbaconstang
  • Reply 60 of 121
    why- said:
    apple ][ said:

is it the law in America that the sentence for resisting arrest is death? because that's kind of messed up
    Are you and the ten individuals who liked your comment aware of the fact the police initially attended the scene because Alton Sterling brandished a weapon after being repeatedly asked for change by a homeless man?

Are you also aware that Alton was a registered sex offender (carnal knowledge with a juvenile) and had a lengthy criminal record that included convictions for weapons offenses, confrontations with police officers, property crimes, and domestic violence and other batteries?

apple ][