iPhone 7 and Apple's next Retina Display frontier: Wide Color

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Hopefully this is a MicroLED display rather then OLED.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,301member
    Finally--a worthy reason to upgrade from my 6s.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 23 of 64
    dmdevdmdev Posts: 33member
    AppleInsider said:

True Tone display on the new iPad Pro

I love how the True Tone display affects the color of the case too.
    You mean to say that you like how it _matches_ the color of the case too (i.e. exactly as a piece of paper would do in different ambient light).
    calinetmagepscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 64
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    From the Apple webkit site:

"Here’s another example, this time with a generated image. To users on an sRGB display there is a uniform red square below. However, it’s a bit of a trick. There are actually two different shades of red in that image, one of which is only distinct on wide-gamut displays. On such a display you’ll see a faint WebKit logo inside the red square."

Its a RED square not ORANGE.  Please fix the post please.  Its also quite worrying that you get something so simple so wrong, such as copy and pasting from another website that I wonder how much else you get so wrong in your articles.

Thanks.
    singularity1983staticx57lord amhranjackansi
  • Reply 25 of 64
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    OK, something must be up with that square image, it's pretty disheartening.

I can see it on both my Galaxy devices but not on my iPhones.

From left to right: Galaxy S5, S4, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6.

Hmm, maybe this has to do with OLED displays.
    Just a red box on my iPhone 6 Plus but clearly visible on my late 2009, 27" iMac. I can see it in the article's banner image on my iPhone however!
  • Reply 26 of 64
    fmerafmera Posts: 1member
    Unless there are subtler hues in between that are invisible on my display, the square background's a solid red: FF0000 (RGB as 8-bit hex value, using your Digitalcolor Meter app) while the compass logo is a slightly deeper F10000. I am viewing it on a very old iMac (Summer 2007).
  • Reply 27 of 64
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    ...am I the only one who sees that box as being red? Viewing it on my iPhone 6...
    I see red too! Lol. But I actually do...on my 5S, it could be construed as a deep orange as well I suppose.
  • Reply 28 of 64

I have literally no idea what's going on as my iPhone 5c CAN see the logo perfectly and the box is orange. Something not right here :/  Strange
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 29 of 64
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I have literally no idea what's going on as my iPhone 5c CAN see the logo perfectly and the box is orange. Something not right here   Strange
    Haha, classic! Introducing the next generation of iPhone, the iPhone 5c.
    edited July 2016 jackansi
  • Reply 30 of 64
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    I see a red square -- no logo -- on my iPad Pro. That is a bit disconcerting.

(As an aside, and on the topic of displays, I sent back my brand new, 2-day old MacBook Pro late last week because colors were not displaying correctly. There was a deeply yellow-ish tint, rather than white, to page backgrounds. Apple recognized this as an issue, and took it back for replacement with no questions at all.)
    baconstang
  • Reply 31 of 64

I have literally no idea what's going on as my iPhone 5c CAN see the logo perfectly and the box is orange. Something not right here :/  Strange

Wow, that's interesting because my box is red.  From reading the comments, it looks as though some people see it as red and others as orange, must be a display issue.

But I see it as Red across all my devices including my desktop monitor.
  • Reply 32 of 64

Haha, classic! Introducing the next generation of iPhone, the iPhone 5c.

I actually wish they'd continue develop the 5c, imo the spiritual successor to the classic "plasticy" iPod.
    cali
  • Reply 33 of 64
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Different devices have different display profiles, the logo in the sample image can be shown on any quality of display with a particular profile. If Mac users go into system prefs > display > color and flip through the profiles (wait for them to load), some profiles will show the logo, others won't. Every profile prioritizes different colors so while one may show better reds, it may show worse greens or blues. Eyes are not all equally sensitive to different colors either:

http://www.shutha.org/node/809

"We see colour in Red, Green and Blue values but that does not mean that we are therefore equally sensitive to all three. We have evolved on a planet awash with blue light and as a result evolution has given us eyes that are only half as sensitive to blue as they are to red and green to help compensate. This 40% Red, 40% Green, but only 20% Blue sensitivity in the cones at the back of the eye results in us seeing blue as a dark colour. This is of benefit in nature, but with the invention of printing it has resulted in a real problem. We just can not produce blue dyes, inks and paints that are of a strong enough colour to compete with the extra sensitivity we have to red and green. For some reason we also have a stronger reaction to green than to red. The combination of RGB makes white, but of the three, green is the brightest, followed by red, and blue being the darkest."

The most widely used display setups and profiles are chosen based on what looks best for the majority of people. People who have atypical variations in color sensitivity due to variations in the cones in the eye see different colors:

http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/colour-blindness-experience-it/

Different software also has different interpretations so while some devices will show the image ok in the browser, if you drag it out to the desktop and look at it in QuickLook or some other software (photo library on iOS), it may interpret it differently as it has a different working color space.

These profiles are mapping the data stored in the file into a different color range like if you open the image in Photoshop and do image > adjustments > levels and pull one of the sliders over to the right, it will compress the color values into that range and show up the logo. This will also affect other colors though.

The point of the image is to highlight the benefit of having a wide gamut display, it doesn't mean you will always have a wide gamut display if you can see the logo as you can see the logo on a poor quality display calibrated with a specific profile. The benefit of having a wide gamut in the hardware means it can show a larger range of colors at the same time.
    ericthehalfbeenetmageDeelronbaconstangpscooter63brometheusrhoninpalomine
  • Reply 34 of 64
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    I can see the logo on my antique SCEPTRE display.  I know what HDR is but showing an image with only 2 colors in it (that's what it looked to my crappy tools) is not a good way to show it off.  I would be more interested in seeing several copies of the same image side by side, where each was tuned to show a part of the color range on my 'normal' display-range monitor.  Sort of like zooming in to a high resolution image to show us poor slobs what we're missing.  

Is it just me or is the author a little bit hostile about non-apple products?  Did we really need to hear about how water soluble the competitor's devices were?  I'm more interested in the concept of high range color displays than whether the competitors are going to catch up to Apple any time soon.  I'm sure the competitors are ahead of Apple in SOME detail.   

netmagejackansi
  • Reply 35 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    foggyhill said:
    The large gamut of OLED would show it, DOESN:T MEAN YOUR SEEING THE RIGHT COLORS, THE RIGHT INTENSITY, ETC.

Did you just register to say this crap?

No but it's a valid point to bring it up since the image is used as an example.

Calm down, btw.
    No it's not, it provides essentially no explanation. it's not a point (except maybe a data point); more like a non sequitur..
    You can also see it if your device's color profile is completely off (though then all your other colors will be totally off).
    That was ALSO the case for many early Samsung phones and even now those colors are still off in their large GAMUT setting
    (So double chance of seeing it).

And say calm down to your own children/pet and spare me your condescending pap.

• Reply 36 of 64
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member

True Tone display on the new iPad Pro

I love how the True Tone display affects the color of the case too.
    This is the internet equivalent of a failed iq test. 
    pscooter63
  • Reply 37 of 64
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member

This has nothing to do with colour and everything to do with how these apps parse 16bit per channel PNG files. 
  • Reply 38 of 64
    GarNubGarNub Posts: 1member

I see it on my 8 year old LCD monitor. Strange.
    http://i.imgur.com/XhKn6KY.jpg
    ireland
  • Reply 39 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    This has nothing to do with colour and everything to do with how these apps parse 16bit per channel PNG files. 
    Yes, that would be another reason; color profile per app/program also exist.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    ksec said:
    Hopefully this is a MicroLED display rather then OLED.
    Both OLED and MicroLED are future technologies where as LCD is a past technology. Either will be an improvement.