ESPN working on first-ever streaming TV package - report

Posted:
in General Discussion
Disney-owned ESPN will soon be announcing its first Web-based TV streaming package, although it will only be a small step towards a full-scale online service, according to a new report.

The initial package won't include ESPN's lifelines -- like pro-level football and basketball -- but will instead cover smaller leagues, and possibly some college sports, a source told the The Information. The network is expected to use this package to capture some people who don't subscribe to traditional TV, while testing early online strategies with them.

ESPN has been more hesistant than most networks to offer online streaming, since that might risk its valuable deals with cable and satellite providers, which have used sports to keep people from switching to cheaper online alternatives.

Cordcutters have nevertheless caused ESPN's viewer numbers to decline. That may eventually force it to make the transition, especially as even long-time holdout networks like HBO have begun offering online-only plans.

ESPN already has a presence on live streaming services like Sling TV and PlayStation Vue, but only as a part of larger bundles. Watching its channels online otherwise requires authenticating a cable or satellite subscription.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    If this doesn't not include ESPN's NFL & NBA games it's DOA. It might have some chance, maybe, if they include all their NCAA football content. I just done see without those how the package would be attractive 
    mwhite
  • Reply 2 of 8
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Another meaningless and worthless offer being made to cord cutters. 
    supadav03mwhite
  • Reply 3 of 8
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    They should just take their Watch ESPN app and make it accessible without a cable subscription for like $8.99 month. I think that would be way better for cord cutters than this gimped offering.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    artievanartievan Posts: 1member
    Comcast announced yesterday data caps within the Chicagoland area. I will not stream any content that impacts my cap limit. Tweeted to NBC (Comcast owned) that I would not stream any Olympic coverage or any NBC sports internet radio any longer. I let Comcast and NBC know that due their imposed caps I would not stream any content. I certainly won't stream any game I can get on TV and I won't be streaming Mike&Mike anytime soon.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Pretty late to the game, ESPN.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Based on the number of comments here, ESPN should realize that this idea is of very little interest to anyone.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    artievan said:
    Comcast announced yesterday data caps within the Chicagoland area. I will not stream any content that impacts my cap limit. Tweeted to NBC (Comcast owned) that I would not stream any Olympic coverage or any NBC sports internet radio any longer. I let Comcast and NBC know that due their imposed caps I would not stream any content. I certainly won't stream any game I can get on TV and I won't be streaming Mike&Mike anytime soon.
    So you are going to pay for data that you refuse to use? I am not sure I know what your point is or what you are trying to prove. Sounds like Comcast is the big winner here.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    kent909 said:
    Based on the number of comments here, ESPN should realize that this idea is of very little interest to anyone.
    Pretty sure the VAST majority of people this would appeal to don't even know this site exists, let alone making comments on it.
    dasanman69