Apple, 67 other businesses file against North Carolina's HB2 'bathroom' law

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    portcity said:

Other countries have tried this and quickly changed the law back due to women being abused while in their facilities by men.
    They have?  Which ones?
    why-
  • Reply 62 of 127
    komokomo Posts: 25member
    Apple and 67 other businesses have signed a new amicus brief, supporting the U.S. Justice Department's efforts to halt the enforcement of HB2, a North Carolina law forcing people to use bathrooms corresponding to their birth gender.

The brief was filed on Friday in conjunction with the pro-LGBT organization Human Rights Campaign, according to Re/code. It claims that HB2, passed by the North Carolina legislature in March, represents a kind of "invidious discrimination" hampering the companies' ability to recruit and retain workers in the state.

The corporations also try to make a grander economic case, suggesting that North Carolina has already lost over 1,700 jobs and half a billion dollars because of the law.

Apart from Apple, some other technology companies signed to the amicus include Airbnb, Cisco, eBay, IBM, Intel, Logitech, Microsoft, and PayPal.

In the United States at least, Apple has become an aggressive supporter of LGBT causes. In April for instance the company attacked Mississippi legislation allowing businesses to use religion to deny service to LGBT individuals. A month prior, CEO Tim Cook in fact signed an open letter -- also drafted by the Human Rights Campaign -- calling on North Carolina to repeal HB2.

• Reply 63 of 127
    komokomo Posts: 25member
    What's wrong with you Americans can't to think positive for once!
  • Reply 64 of 127
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    komo said:
    What's wrong with you Americans can't to think positive for once!
    Something positive would have to happen first.
  • Reply 65 of 127
    crowley said:
    They have? Which ones?
    portcity said:
    Other countries have tried this and quickly changed the law back due to women being abused while in their facilities by men.
    Why on earth would someone dislike a comment asking a simple question of a previous claim?  To whomever that did, you're a weirdo.

AI should really dump this anonymous liking and disliking system, it's worse than useless.
  • Reply 66 of 127
    crowley said:
    AI should really dump this anonymous liking and disliking system, it's worse than useless.
    Don’t get yourself worked up over cowards, man. If they can’t even give you the honor of a reply when they disagree–much less a rebuttal or actual conversation–what worth is their disagreement?

As long as the system doesn’t allow users to affect visibility of others’ posts, it’s simply par for the course with the retarded “social networking” trend that can’t die soon enough. It’s a unique <div>, though, so you could even just have your adblocker hide the thing.

• Reply 67 of 127
    Have any of you read the actual bill? Or know the chronology of events? Sheesh, this crowd is no better than any other; willing to flame on with only superficial knowledge of the issue. "I don't like the idea" of what is being discussed so therefore I'll shoot my mouth off about it. If you want to read the bill here it is: http://ncleg.net/Sessions/2015E2/Bills/House/PDF/H2v1.pdf. Passed in 12 hours during a special session (legislators were called back to the capital) and not given the time to even read the bill. That's what happens when you own both houses and the governors office. This was pure politics by the republicans and it has backfire in a huge way on them. Don't get me started about Republicans telling cities how to run themselves. I thought this was the party of "self responsibility" and "government should keeps its hands off of us" Right.
  • Reply 68 of 127
    NCm@cuser said:
    Don't get me started about Republicans telling cities how to run themselves.
    Anything is better than how the Democrats do it.
    joseph_went_south
  • Reply 69 of 127
    NCm@cuser said:
    Typical.  Small government, power to the people, except when the small government and the people lean a different way, then bigger government is best.
    NCm@cuser
  • Reply 70 of 127
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    So many countries in the world, and there's only one where this is an issue. Grow up!
    what the hell are you even doing in restrooms in the US that is so sexually oriented????

transgender people need our support, not laws that make their lives harder. 
    edited July 2016 why-
  • Reply 71 of 127
    crowley said:
    Typical.  Small government, power to the people, except when the small government and the people lean a different way, then bigger government is best.
    Detroit. Now have a goddamn argument.
    hagar said:
    So many countries in the world, and there's only one where this is an issue.
    If you wanted to tell us you have no idea what you're talking about, you could have just said, "I have no idea what I'm talking about."
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 72 of 127
    NCm@cuser said:
    So, did you read the bill?

• Reply 73 of 127
    crowley said:
    Typical. Illiteracy bordering on mental retardation, and on purpose rather than as a matter of lack of knowledge.

Detroit. Now have a goddamn argument. If you wanted to tell us you have no idea what you're talking about, you could have just said, "I have no idea what I'm talking about."
    Typical.  Personal invective and insult, and obfuscating stringing together of irrelevant abstract concepts into meaninglessness.

Place name.  Much repeated accusation of having no argument, even when the original statement was nothing more than glib and banal partisanship.  Accusation of lack of knowledge, when knowledge of any kind has little to do the main point of hypocrisy.

All you're missing is a bit of plagiarism and you'd have the most stereotypically boring TS post ever.  8/10.
    singularity
  • Reply 74 of 127
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    foggyhill said:
    Yes, indeed why. Having an open public area with no doors (like many places are right now, maybe even put cameras in that place), for washing hands, whatever, with stalls for everyone (maybe self-cleaning) would solve every issue in large areas. Everywhere else, have single stalls bathrooms (which is already the case in many new buildings, this also accommodates people with disabilities better).

Protecting "da women" "da children" (sic) is often used as a justification for all kind of boneheaded or bigoted laws, including segregation laws.

are we now having a conversation about rebuilding all existing bathrooms?  Because that's not what I was talking about.  I was very clear that the problem is one of determining how to allocate a large spectrum of gender identities within two existing restroom options.  That's an issue that needs to be resolved, even if new builds take a different approach.

And I deliberately worded my reference to males being less likely to be in danger or offended in a manner to avoid exactly the hyperbole you went directly to.  This just shows you have an agenda and aren't considering what others are actually writing here.  You don't seem to want to actually have a reasonable discussion that could lead to a workable solution.
    You're framing the issue yourself by your own words in almost every sentence, so please spare me the "above the fray" appeal.

Want to keep score on who's using the most "framing" devices and logical fallacies?
    I  can put up the wiki pages for those things and we can go through the response and argue those points?
    It's pointless but surely one will come on top and we'll all feel "better" about that...

BTW, I'm a bi women,
    been around trans men, women in the hundreds through volunteer work since the 1980s (also volunteered during the height of the AIDS Crisis around gay men).
    So, I'm EXTREMELY well versed on this subject.

I've heard all of the myriads arguments on this and the appeal to "protecting" (sic) children, women and don't want to hear a word about it.

There is no stats on this needing to be addressed, just like there is no stats on significant voting fraud.
    Trans men and women (and queer men and women) use bathroom appropriate to their assumed gender all the time with no issue at all.
    These are dog whistle laws, not meant to solve any real problem, but meant to appeal to the GOP's base's bias and prejudices (this law and the voting "rights" (sic) laws)
    Often used as a distraction while the GOP base is kicking their own base on economic issues.

Trans men & women being called sick, pedophiles, perverts, being harassed, rocks thrown at them, apartments defaced, facing death-treats,
    so many suicides, so many disowned, thrown out of their apartments, sleeping on the street, can't get jobs, keeps jobs, etc.

It's just too much bullshit that  I've been dealing with in helping the community for 30 years

This irrational "fear" based on nothing at all. must not be accommodated just like the fear of blacks, mexicans, gays, or whatever bogeyman must not be accommodated.

And yes, I don't give a shit about those irrational fears; people will get over them and move on.
    edited July 2016 why-
  • Reply 75 of 127
    crowley said: [waste of bytes]
    You realize I only keep up the banter with you to continue to prove to everyone else reading your shit that you're clinically insane, right? No one viewing this conversation who has any measure of rationality would ever agree with you. Feelings aren't facts, boyo.
    What facts?  Detroit?  That isn't a fact, it's a city sweetie.
    why-singularity
  • Reply 76 of 127
    crowley said:
    Here I was looking for the emoji that would help you understand without those big long 'word' thingies and I remember the site doesn't support them anymore. Oh well.
    joseph_went_south
  • Reply 77 of 127
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    tallest skil said:

[waste of approximately 264 bytes that could have been used downloading hentai or something]
    you know you should consider patenting your incredible diagnostic technique. instead of having to pay for a proper psychological examination, people can just talk to you and listen in awe as you flawlessly diagnose them with a wide array of mental illnesses based on nothing but their comments and views. then you could sue any small child who ends an argument will 'well you're just retarded' and make an arse-load of cash
    edited July 2016 singularity
  • Reply 78 of 127
    crowley said:
    Here I was looking for the emoji that would help you understand without those big long 'word' thingies and I remember the site doesn't support them anymore. Oh well.
     :s 
    why-
  • Reply 79 of 127
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    come on, Crowley. at least let tallest skil share some more of their views. I'd prefer to ridicule them rather than just bully them
    edited July 2016 joseph_went_south
  • Reply 80 of 127
    why- said:
    you know you should consider patenting your incredible diagnostic technique. instead of having to pay for a proper psychological examination, people can just talk to you and listen in awe as you flawlessly diagnose them with a wide array of mental illnesses based on nothing but their comments and views. then you could sue any small child who ends an argument will 'well you're just retarded' and make an arse-load of cash
    Still waiting for you to have a refutation of anything presented.

No force of will, no power of man, and no act of a God will ever make you anything other than what your genes say you are.
    leighrjoseph_went_south