Alleged 'iPhone 7' leak offers crystal clear look at larger single-lens camera, tweaked antenna lin

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    this truly goes without saying, but ill say it anyway to this apparent trolling:

1) the iphone 4 had a 3.5" screen and was much smaller than than the 6 series and 6+ series. thus obviously it wouldnt be as heavy as a 6 or 6+ of the same thickness. and i for one dont want my large phone to be that thick again, especially since i put a case on it.

2) it's completely absurd to suggest what was satisfactory in a phone-camera released in 2010 would be acceptable today. in no universe would i trade my 6s' camera for the one in my old 4 -- and i doubt you would either. but if you would (really?) id suggest youre in an unusual minority of people who prioritize their phone's thickness/camera-bump over the actual photos they get from it.
    I'm certainly not the only one who isn't a fan of the camera bump.  Heck even John Gruber calls it "gross". I've never suggested the iPhone camera should be worse so there is no bump. I'm just not convinced making the phone thick enough to eliminate a bump would have cause it to be too thick and heavy. I owned the iPad Air 1 and 2 and I preferred the 1 because it didn't get as hot and there was less sound vibration. Thinner isn't always better. Thankfully Apple mostly fixed the sound vibration issue with the iPad Pro line.
    youre conflating something not relevant (your and Gruber's not liking the bump) to what we're discussing. your proposed solution appears to be to make the phone thicker and heavier, all so you have a flat back of the phone case, despite the fact that his doesnt really affect anything. even if you dont use a case, it isnt common to use the flat on a table rather than in the hand. even if you did use it flat on the table, it only rocks ever so slightly if you tap the top-left area, such as a Back button; but doing so is unnecessary since the entire left-edge can be used as a back-swipe.

again: there is no reason to degrade the camera by using a smaller one, or to make the phone heavier for everyone, just because your OCD side doesnt like it not being a flat surface.

this decision was already made for a hundred other android phones, with much larger camera hills.
    fastasleepigorskybrucemcroundaboutnowdoozydozen
  • Reply 62 of 79
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Still can't get over how large that camera opening is. It either uses a very fast lens, a much larger sensor or hopefully both.
    doozydozenroundaboutnow
  • Reply 63 of 79
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    1983 said:
    Still can't get over how large that camera opening is. It either uses a very fast lens, a much larger sensor or hopefully both.
    It's quite possible that the new opening is larger to accommodate OIS, which the 4.7" model is rumored to include.
    edited July 2016 fastasleepdoozydozen
  • Reply 64 of 79
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    The lens is fake as heck. It's ridiculous (I'm a 3-D designer at a movie studio).
    what does your working at a movie studio have to do w/ your ability to authenticate these images for us?

ive seen this pattern. every year as we get closer to production these leaks come out. and every year people go insane and claim theyre fake and/or that they hate it. then the phone comes out and sells in insane numbers. the end.
    We'll see if that's the case this year. If the only changes (besides A10 chip) are the camera and removal of headphone jack my guess is there won't be insane sales numbers. Last years holiday quarter was flat YOY and it included a few weeks of China sales that weren't in the previous years numbers. Take those out and sales would've been down YOY.
    dasanman69
  • Reply 65 of 79
    what does your working at a movie studio have to do w/ your ability to authenticate these images for us?

ive seen this pattern. every year as we get closer to production these leaks come out. and every year people go insane and claim theyre fake and/or that they hate it. then the phone comes out and sells in insane numbers. the end.
    We'll see if that's the case this year. If the only changes (besides A10 chip) are the camera and removal of headphone jack my guess is there won't be insane sales numbers. Last years holiday quarter was flat YOY and it included a few weeks of China sales that weren't in the previous years numbers. Take those out and sales would've been down YOY.
    I don't have the numbers but I'd bet even a flat quarter is an insane number of sales. probably best in industry. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 66 of 79
    If the only changes (besides A10 chip) are the camera and removal of headphone jack my guess is there won't be insane sales numbers.
    Rumors of Wide Gamut and True Tone display technologies borrowed from the 9.7" iPad Pro seem reasonable. Also, don't discount Apple from having a secret ace up its sleeve to be revealed this Fall. There may be new software features unique to the upcoming iPhone that take advantage of its advance hardware. Don't be so pessimistic. At the end of the day, Apple is here to sell you a class-leading phone.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    huffcwhuffcw Posts: 53member
    I wonder if they have played around with any wedge/tapered designs for the iPhone (slightly thicker at the top tapering down to a very thin edge at bottom - like a MacBook)? Not sure how it would feel in use, but it could be a cool concept, something different than every other smartphone out there and eliminate the camera bump too. The biggest issue would likely be that it might feel odd when held horizontally or off balance. Camera bump doesn't really bother me, but would be nice to see something unique and interesting (assuming it doesn't compromise functionality).
    edited July 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 68 of 79
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    huffcw said:
    I wonder if they have played around with any wedge/tapered designs for the iPhone (slightly thicker at the top tapering down to a very thin edge at bottom - like a MacBook)? Not sure how it would feel in use, but it could be a cool concept, something different than every other smartphone out there and eliminate the camera bump too. The biggest issue would likely be that it might feel odd when held horizontally or off balance. Camera bump doesn't really bother me, but would be nice to see something unique and interesting (assuming it doesn't compromise functionality).
    Sort of like hill cows that have shorter legs on one side so they can stand upright on slopes. 

A good natural solution as long as they always point in the right direction.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 69 of 79
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    If the only changes (besides A10 chip) are the camera and removal of headphone jack my guess is there won't be insane sales numbers.
    Rumors of Wide Gamut and True Tone display technologies borrowed from the 9.7" iPad Pro seem reasonable. Also, don't discount Apple from having a secret ace up its sleeve to be revealed this Fall. There may be new software features unique to the upcoming iPhone that take advantage of its advance hardware. Don't be so pessimistic. At the end of the day, Apple is here to sell you a class-leading phone.
    I think next years phone will be more worth an upgrade. I can't imagine Apple will put a lot of new hardware features into this phone. If they were planning on doing that I think the design wouldn't be so similar to the 6.
    dasanman69doozydozen
  • Reply 70 of 79
    leighrleighr Posts: 253member
    I have to say that the camera bump niggles me more that anything. I understand the physical limitations the designers are working with, but I can just hear Steve yelling "Make it fit. Just do it again, and make it fit...".
  • Reply 71 of 79
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    emig647 said:
    I'm surprised they are still going with the camera bump. I suppose they feel everyone uses a case. I wonder what the statistics on case usage?

Ultimate reason I haven't purchased an iPad Pro 9.7 :neutral: 
    There is no choice if you want a good camera. I'm so fracking tired of hearing about it.

Having tried myself a LONG time, the Ipad pro 9.7, had no issue with the bump.
    Most reviewers also says its a non issue.

The bigger lens makes me think the sensor (and maybe even the len) will be a very weird shape (like a bowl to make it bigger) that will then be manipulated by DSP.
    The Canon Cameras often use a lot of computer manip on their small semi-pro compacts like the G7X.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    flaneur said:
    How could you possibly take your mind off the important issues here, the antenna lines and the camera bump?
    If this was a leak from Samsung or some other Android OEM no doubt people here would be calling it fugly. But since it's coming from Apple these things are no longer important?
    So, your opinion is an universal truth and you also built a straw man out of it? Versatile!

As for the bigger lens.
    The bigger lens makes me think the sensor (and maybe even the len) will be a very weird shape (like a bowl to make it bigger with the limited focal lenght) that will then be manipulated by DSP to look normal (most cameras these days have A LOT of DSP manip)..
    The Canon Cameras often use a lot of computer manip on their small semi-pro compacts like the G7X.

• Reply 73 of 79
    leighr said:
    I have to say that the camera bump niggles me more that anything. I understand the physical limitations the designers are working with, but I can just hear Steve yelling "Make it fit. Just do it again, and make it fit...".
    So, Steve wants Apple to change physics? They can try all sort of tricks to use it to their best advantage, but it's the immovable object.
    The Iphone as a lot smaller bump than the S7 (probably why it got beat in static shots this year). There is no miracles.
    nolamacguydoozydozen
  • Reply 74 of 79
    igorsky said:
    Rogifan is 100% correct. Were this phone design from any manufacturer OTHER than Apple then everybody here would be howling about the "shitty design" but because it IS from Apple it gets a pass much in the same way the iPhone battery cover got a pass from everybody.

This line of thinking by Apple haters is nonsensical because, if anything, Apple is under way more scrutiny than any other manufacturer.  For example Android phones have all used camera mountains on the backs of their phones forever, yet Apple releases a phone with a slight camera protrusion and the internet goes nuts.  Antenna lines are acceptable for every phone but it's a sin if Apple uses them.  The original iPhone was the first mass-market aluminum smartphone, yet somehow Apple is the one that's copying HTC.  Rene over at iMore has posted numerous photos showing that none of the ports at the bottom of Samsung's "flaghsip" Galaxys line up, almost as though a group of amateurs used a 3D printer to manufacture it.  I can go on and on with ludicrous examples of the design double standard that exists.

So do us all a favor...take Rogifan with you to an Android site and peddle your Apple conspiracies on a forum where such stupidity will be widely, and blindly, accepted.
    Cute but that's not what was being discussed. What was being discussed is the disingenuous nature of some of the posters in that when Apple does something it gets a pass yet let some other manufacturer make an identicle item and it gets excoriated by the same people
  • Reply 75 of 79
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    igorsky said:

This line of thinking by Apple haters is nonsensical because, if anything, Apple is under way more scrutiny than any other manufacturer.  For example Android phones have all used camera mountains on the backs of their phones forever, yet Apple releases a phone with a slight camera protrusion and the internet goes nuts.  Antenna lines are acceptable for every phone but it's a sin if Apple uses them.  The original iPhone was the first mass-market aluminum smartphone, yet somehow Apple is the one that's copying HTC.  Rene over at iMore has posted numerous photos showing that none of the ports at the bottom of Samsung's "flaghsip" Galaxys line up, almost as though a group of amateurs used a 3D printer to manufacture it.  I can go on and on with ludicrous examples of the design double standard that exists.

So do us all a favor...take Rogifan with you to an Android site and peddle your Apple conspiracies on a forum where such stupidity will be widely, and blindly, accepted.
    Cute but that's not what was being discussed. What was being discussed is the disingenuous nature of some of the posters in that when Apple does something it gets a pass yet let some other manufacturer make an identicle item and it gets excoriated by the same people
    Well you know what, this is an Apple forum with Apple fans and will, obviously, have a pro-Apple slant. Just like an Android forum, just like a Samsung forum, etc. If that doesn't suit you then feel free to gtfoh. 
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 76 of 79
    adrayven said:
    Lines still look ugly as hell... in-fact, this looks worse IMO.
    Lines ??? When did we give in on that ugly camera Bump ????
  • Reply 77 of 79
    This is such a bad photoshop fake..  how is that shadow around the lens happening? .. why is everyone taking this so seriously!
  • Reply 78 of 79
    blufisch said:
    This is such a bad photoshop fake..  how is that shadow around the lens happening? .. why is everyone taking this so seriously!
    Even if its a fake, it's probable the real one sort of looks like that, that (it corresponds to rumors).

Very soon, a real one will get out (and it will also probably be called a fake by same except it won't be :-).
  • Reply 79 of 79
    blufisch said:
    it's likely not a fake. there's been a lot of smoke, all of it very similar. MR just posted more pics...

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/07/12/iphone-7-plus-images-smart-connector-rumors/
    doozydozen