Pokemon GO is earning Apple's App Store 3x as much money as Nintendo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    koop said:
    What?! What will you tell me next, that these phones are not sold in the United States and are likely sub $100 prepaid phones for developing markets too? 
    The majority of Android phones are basically third world phones, even the ones that aren't sold in the third world.
    icoco3
  • Reply 22 of 48
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    so Nintendo is making 10% for what, licensing rights?

not bad at all! 

all the work is done by others, and they get a paycheck.

• Reply 23 of 48
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Clickbait title based on incorrect calculations derived from a guesstimate. There's a prominent "we presume" from an analyst outside of any of the companies involved, as well as a very obvious omision in the AI article of mention of the explicit "however" in the Bloomberg article.

Plus the expected but completely unnecessary and unrelated poking at Android. Jeebus, talk about a broken record DED.
    singularitydasanman69boopthesnoot
  • Reply 24 of 48
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    And all those lovely profits could be put into better looking hardware and more games!
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Having just become familiar with the concept of this game in the past 2 days and not yet done the detailed research I intend on doing, as a law enforcement officer this game sounds like the perfect game for robbers and pedophiles to trick unsuspecting young people into visiting a discrete location unsupervised and not paying attention to their surroundings due to an intense focus on the game. I certainly hope there are safeguards in place to prevent such actions, but if it only took me 30 seconds to think of it then I'm sure it wouldn't take a thug or perv as long to think of the possibilities.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    cwingravcwingrav Posts: 83member
    But, earning vs profit. Nintendo is only contributing IP for it's 10% (minus small legal/admin overhead). So, it's 10% is effectively profit vs Apple's 30% dealing with upkeep, maintenance, marketing, etc... you know, business stuff. So, Apple keeps a fraction of that 30% and in fact they say they don't really make money on the App Store, so probably only making a tiny profit.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Stopped reading the story at "...we presume...".
  • Reply 28 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    thebudda said:
    Having just become familiar with the concept of this game in the past 2 days and not yet done the detailed research I intend on doing, as a law enforcement officer this game sounds like the perfect game for robbers and pedophiles to trick unsuspecting young people into visiting a discrete location unsupervised and not paying attention to their surroundings due to an intense focus on the game. I certainly hope there are safeguards in place to prevent such actions, but if it only took me 30 seconds to think of it then I'm sure it wouldn't take a thug or perv as long to think of the possibilities.
    Like this?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/thieves-pokemon-find-players-rob-missouri-article-1.2706417
  • Reply 29 of 48
    RauthaRautha Posts: 5member
    Nice try DED. You should actually go outside and head to your local Pokestop and meet the players.

The majority of players I have met are on an android phone. AR runs great on all of my android phones (when NIA and PTC servers are not going up in flames). Bugs and glitches on gyms not fixed from beta are another issue. Most people buying lures and eggs are android players using Google Opinion Rewards. Players like me that have $50 reward credits to buy in app items.

But sure go ahead and quote yourself on twitter and use that as the gospel. I saw someone on twitter once say Apple was doomed. I guess cause one guy said that it must be true. Better yet I saw someone on no name tech blog say that your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate said Apple was bankrupt, so it must be true.
    singularity
  • Reply 30 of 48
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member
    "the success of the title benefits Apple by a much larger amount, without involving an initial multi-million dollar risk in developing the software."

That's true, IFF you assume there are zero Android sales.

Spoiler: There are Android sales.

Wait, this is a DED piece? No way!
    singularity
  • Reply 31 of 48
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Nintendo should directly release titles like Mario and Zelda to iOS. They'd make a fortune.
    No, they wouldn't. This is a stupid idea. 

You should wind down commenting. 
    Take you own advice...the only thing that staves off bankrupcy for Nintendo is Class-A titles distributed on iOS. Literally the only relevant revenue stream left for them to take advantage of.

What you've seen so far is just them testing the waters and preparing for that eventual INEVITABLE time.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 32 of 48
    DanielEranDanielEran Posts: 290editor
    koop said:
    ... random listings of chinese manufacturers and brands that there are some Android phones that can't run a game...
    Sony & HTC aren't Chinese brands.
    Motorila Droid Max was a popular US phone.
    Huawei is the #2 Android vendor globally.

Also, requirements for the game exclude ~25% of Google Play installed base (virtually all outside of China) simply because Google can't/doesn't care to ship updates for phone users stuck on Android prior to 4.4 KitKat.
  • Reply 33 of 48

Mrlowe said:
    ...protracted rants to bash anything non-apple but blatant lies ...
    If you want to be taken seriously you can't be a garbage pail troll 
    ai46
  • Reply 34 of 48
    crowley said:
    Clickbait title based on incorrect calculations derived from a guesstimate.

Nobody is "guessing" that The App Store gets a 30% cut. 

...talk about a broken record DED.

you can't actually, can you? I mean really, what interesting new thing have you said in years? Just spewing hate and disrespect.

ai46
  • Reply 35 of 48
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    Rautha said:
    Nice try DED. You should actually go outside and head to your local Pokestop and meet the players.

The majority of players I have met are on an android phone. AR runs great on all of my android phones (when NIA and PTC servers are not going up in flames). Bugs and glitches on gyms not fixed from beta are another issue. Most people buying lures and eggs are android players using Google Opinion Rewards. Players like me that have $50 reward credits to buy in app items.

But sure go ahead and quote yourself on twitter and use that as the gospel. I saw someone on twitter once say Apple was doomed. I guess cause one guy said that it must be true. Better yet I saw someone on no name tech blog say that your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate said Apple was bankrupt, so it must be true.
    "The majority of players that i have met..."

Your anecdotal evidence vs marketshare of iOS and Android devices in the U.S. There is a slight edge to Android sales, but likely, Apple has more iPhones in use that are compatible with Pokemon Go than does Android.

My expectation would be that there is a fairly even split between users in the U.S.; frankly, it doesn't matter anyway. The question I would have is which platform is giving the best experience.

• Reply 36 of 48
    DanielEran said:

Nobody is "guessing" that The App Store gets a 30% cut. 
    30% off the total leaves 70%, and it's a guess about how much of that Nintendo sees, especially since they'll get more than one cut.  The clickbait headline paints it as a known factor.

DanielEran said:

you can't actually, can you? I mean really, what interesting new thing have you said in years? Just spewing hate and disrespect.
    Write a single article about iOS that stays on point and doesn't devolve into Android shit slinging and I might find some respect. This was an article about Pokemon revenue and you still couldn't help yourself. It seems to be pathological at this point.

No hate, just disappointment, as sometimes you can be a good writer.  A little more brevity and lot less tribalism and you could be called a journalist, instead of a polemicist.
    singularity
  • Reply 38 of 48
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    mwhite said:
    Downloaded it and deleted it that fast. :|
    I didn't eve download it. It's just not my type of game. Glad people like it and it's doing well. Which means games can still do really well in the App store and make a good profit. Nintendo needs to bring their classics on over. Games from the NES up to the N64. You could even advertise that a new Mario or whatever can be played only on the Wii U. So it's some free advertising. Sell the games at $3.99 or so, because you're going for volume. When there's so many iOS devices compared to a console, there's no need to have high prices. Sell for a reasonable price and people will buy it up.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 39 of 48
    crowley said:

30% off the total leaves 70%, and it's a guess about how much of that Nintendo sees, especially since they'll get more than one cut.  The clickbait headline paints it as a known factor.
    This seems to be a more thoroough breakdown of how the profit breaks down:
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/95801/how-much-money-is-nintendo-going-to-make-off-of-pokemon-go
  • Reply 40 of 48
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 752member
    So if Nintendo at 10% take sees a 7 billion boost in market cap, one would expect even more robust gains for Apple at 30%take ? Right?
    The rise in Nintendo's market cap is due to the rise in share price, not revenue.