Smartwatch users rank Apple Watch best in class in new JD Power survey

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2016
Wearable device customer satisfaction rankings released by J.D. Power on Tuesday place the Apple Watch at the top of the heap, edging second-place finisher Samsung as the best smartwatch on the market today.

The J.D. Power 2016 Fitness Band Device Satisfaction Report polled 2,696 customers who purchased a smartwatch between June 2015 and June 2016. Questions covered ease of use, comfort, battery life, phone connectivity features, price, durability, display size, appearance, reliability, apps available, and customer service.

Based on the results of the survey, products were graded on a 1000-point scale. The Apple Watch was the clear winner, earning a top-ranked score of 852, which placed it ahead of Samsung's 842.

Sony (840), Fitbit (839), and LG (827) rounded out the rest of the top five.

Among those polled, Apple Watch performed strongest against the competition in comfort, styling, and ease of use. Samsung's products performed best in customer service, display size, and phone connectivity features.

Source: J.D. Power 2016 Fitness Band Device Satisfaction Report

Overall, 19 percent of all smartwatch customers informed J.D. Power that they had issues with their wearable device. The most common issues were related to charging the watch, user customization, and broken charging peripherals.

Samsung held a commanding lead in the far cheaper "fitness band" product category, a market segment Apple does not compete in. Samsung's score of 859 bested second-ranked Garmin, coming in at 836. The fitness band category had an average customer satisfaction ranking of 829.

The Pebble, arguably the first modern smartwatch, was released in July 2013 and wasn't included in either J.D. Power survey. Samsung's first smart watch, the Galaxy Gear, shipped to customers in September of 2013. The Apple Watch began shipping to customers on April 24, 2015.
mnbob1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    NO comments?  0?  I just saw 4 pages of them at MR. For the record, these scores are so tight as to make them almost meaningless. 
    edited July 2016 rhonin
  • Reply 2 of 24
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,292member
    larrya said:
    NO comments?  0?  I just saw 4 pages of them at MR. For the record, these scores are so tight as to make them almost meaningless. 
    J.D. Powers surveys have a VERY suspect ranking methodology, because if you look closely, even though the point spread is very close to the competition, consumer satisfaction scores are WAY WAY WAY ahead for the Watch...

I just LOVE mine and NEVER go a day without it! And I'm REALLY looking forward to watchOS 3!
    ericthehalfbeenolamacguycyberzombiepscooter63lolliverbrucemcjbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    larrya said:
    Depends what the score is about huh?
    The point system seems to weight everything equally or at most in and and ad hoc way; for actual users, some things are way worse than others.

Please point to me to the god damn doc and make your argument, otherwise you've just uttered: non sequitur (it does not follow from the facts).

One reason Apple satisfaction rates so high is that they actually FIX THE ISSUES IF THEY ARISE, ESPECIALLY SIGNIFICANT ONES; Apple's services is why you buy them.

The fact they updated the OS improving the performance and usability all through the first year of release is something no Android maker can do.

edited July 2016 radarthekatjony0chialolliverjbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 24
    larrya said:

That's just JD "adjusting" the numbers so as not to piss of the ones that finished behind Apple. Apple Watch is in a league of its own.

When watchOS 3 gets released Apple Watch satisfaction will go even higher.
    lolliverjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 24
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    larrya said:
    thats because MR is a hive of raving lunatics, most of which are haters. this story comes as no surprise to me, thus nothing to comment on.

other than this -- people will be even more satisfied once watchOS 3 drops...big time.
    edited July 2016 igorskypscooter63lollivercornchipbrucemcjbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 24
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    LOL.  1.1% difference in the point spread vs  Samsung.   Their rating scale is royally screwed up 
    lolliverjbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 24
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    larrya said:
    NO comments?  0?  I just saw 4 pages of them at MR. 

And all negative toward the Watch, right?  MacRumors is has been totally taken over by the iHaters over the last two years. I don’t even visit that site anymore.
    red oakigorskypscooter63nolamacguylolliverbrucemccornchipjbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 24
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Oh, Statistics. You can kind ion make them say exactly what you want. Survey likely designed and paid for by someone other than apple.
    cornchipjbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 24
    I love my Apple Watch soooooo much!  I use Siri on it all the time to set reminders, alarms, timers, add things to shopping list, etc.  It helps me out alot!
    lolliverjbdragon
  • Reply 10 of 24
    This seems to suggest there's something else in its class. There isn't.
    lollivercornchipjbdragon
  • Reply 11 of 24
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Pebble should have been on the list.  However, I've had a much better time with my Apple Watch compared to any other wearable I've had which included Pebble and FitBit.  Just love the thing and it "just works".  FitBit had great customer service.
    lolliver
  • Reply 12 of 24
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    larrya said:
    thats because MR is a hive of raving lunatics, most of white are haters. this story comes as no surprise to me, thus nothing to comment on.

Yeah I think I'm done with that site.  Imagine 100s of Rogifans and you get an idea of what that place is like.
    pscooter63lollivercornchipbrucemc
  • Reply 13 of 24
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    igorsky said:
    thats because MR is a hive of raving lunatics, most of white are haters. this story comes as no surprise to me, thus nothing to comment on.
    Yeah I think I'm done with that site.  Imagine 100s of Rogifans and you get an idea of what that place is like.
    it's no surprise that after Ben Frost got permabanned here he went to MR and became their God-King, judging by the upvotes he gets. 

i try to only visit MR to scan the headlines, which for some reason I find more consumable and pleasing on their site. the commentary there is rabid and worthless, which is why I come to AI for the conversation.
    edited July 2016 pscooter63lolliver
  • Reply 14 of 24
    lolliverlolliver Posts: 494member
    igorsky said:
    it's no surprise that after Ben Frost got permabanned here he went to MR and became their God-King, judging by the upvotes he gets. 

i try to only visit MR to scan the headlines, which for some reason I find more consumable and pleasing on their site. the commentary there is rabid and worthless, which is why I come to AI for the conversation.

The fact that Ben Frost would be getting upvotes is enough of a reason not to visit the comment section of that site as any. It was a great day when he was permabanned. I agree that MR headlines are easier to read though.
    cornchipnolamacguy
  • Reply 15 of 24
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I love my AppleWatch, never I have without it since the day I bought one. I even have a collection of the different bands, that I swap depending on the settings. Saying that, the score by JD Power is meaningless. What is important is the customer satisfaction, and Apple has one very satisfied customer here.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    Is this the Apple Watch nobody wants to buy?
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 17 of 24
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    foggyhill said:
    larrya said:
    The point system seems to weight everything equally or at most in and and ad hoc way; for actual users, some things are way worse than others.

Please point to me to the god damn doc and make your argument, otherwise you've just uttered: non sequitur (it does not follow from the facts).

One reason Apple satisfaction rates so high is that they actually FIX THE ISSUES IF THEY ARISE, ESPECIALLY SIGNIFICANT ONES; Apple's services is why you buy them.

The fact they updated the OS improving the performance and usability all through the first year of release is something no Android maker can do.

842/1000 vs 852/1000.  That's my argument.  It's a meaningless difference in a meaningless study.  I think we are in violent agreement.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    larrya said:
    foggyhill said:

842/1000 vs 852/1000.  That's my argument.  It's a meaningless difference in a meaningless study.  I think we are in violent agreement.
    So, basically you didn't read my reply. That's not an argument buddy. The weighting of each things matter to actual satisfaction of the users.

• Reply 19 of 24
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    cornchip said:
    Is this the Apple Watch nobody wants to buy?
    It is such a shame that I am a nobody. It's hard to answer your question when the question itself is wrong.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    Big problem with this, unless I am missing something

Average says 847
    Apple has 852

If the rest are below apple, and the numbers get smaller, how the hell does that average out to be 847? If you average all the current numbers then you get 840. 

I hold this suspect