Inside Apple Campus 2 and its vast expanses of sedak glass

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    wizard69 said:
    volcan said:
    Wonder what magnitude earthquake it can withstand. This is earthquake country after all. 

Really, it puzzles me that this sort of construction was even permitted,   I can't imagine load bearing glass holding up well at all in an earthquake.    Especially the theater entrance where there appears to be no supplemental support at all.   I can see the roof there coming down on people with massive pancakeing effect.   
    I can see a total collapse if a meteor strikes the building and makes a giant crater.  So what's your point?

Are you a structural engineer?  The architects would obviously have factored earthquake issues since it is being built in earthquake-prone California.

So unless your degree in structural-engineering is something not from the Internet University of Sofa Experts, I'll trust the actual architect engineers instead.
    stourque
  • Reply 22 of 35
    michael_cmichael_c Posts: 164member
    mjtomlin said:
    wizard69 said:

Really, it puzzles me that this sort of construction was even permitted,   I can't imagine load bearing glass holding up well at all in an earthquake.    Especially the theater entrance where there appears to be no supplemental support at all.   I can see the roof there coming down on people with massive pancakeing effect.   

Furthermore, the south bay is bedrock... it does not shake as bad as you might think. During the Loma-Prieta quake in '89, the one that brought down the I-880 Cypress Viaduct across the bay from S.F., not even a plate fell off the shelf at my home in San Jose. Which was much, much closer to the epicenter.
    I'm sure you know, but it also depends on the direction of the wave front relative to your house.  Our house had more movement of things in cabinets on the north wall than things in cabinets on the east or west side.

• Reply 23 of 35
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    The same two guys who founded the bluenix said:
    So the company was found in 2007 and produced the glass entrance at Apple's Fifth Avenue Store that opened in 2006?
    The cube was done by seele which was founded in 1984.
    sedak is another company of the founders Seele & Goßner.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    jwyatt said:
    Their gonna need a lot of Windex.
    And a seriously big squeegee. 
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 25 of 35
    I'm sure the building will win many design awards. Good for them. Other than realizing Steve Jobs dream, it's probably a boondoggle to create such a massive structure out of glass. That only my uninformed point of view. I guess I could look at the pyramids of Egypt in the same way. I hope the campus stands as long as the pyramids at Giza. Glass structures reflect Apple's way of thinking. I hope the campus works out well for a long time and that earthquakes won't destroy it within a few years.
  • Reply 26 of 35
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    jwyatt said:
    Interesting point. Apple's design aesthetic would surely not envision cleaners suspended outside (or inside) daily, cleaning windows. Robotic systems operating exclusively at night anyone? 
  • Reply 27 of 35
    ary48ary48 Posts: 2member
    wizard69 said:
    volcan said:
    Wonder what magnitude earthquake it can withstand. This is earthquake country after all. 

What most people don't realize is that the entire spaceship is mounted on ball bearings that separate concave plates attached to both the ground and the building. When there is an earthquake the building floats (basically moves very slightly) through the tremors and the weight of the entire building moves it back to the proper location (deepest part of the curves) after the land movement stops. It's really quite ingenious. If you go back and look at the aerial photography of the building when the structure was just starting, the plates are very obvious (there are hundreds of them).
    DanielEranbadmonk
  • Reply 28 of 35
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    When lots of our buildings and infrastructure is looking old and dilapidated, it's nice to see a great new building built in this country.

Thanks for a good article DED.
    DanielEran
  • Reply 29 of 35
    wizard69 said:
    volcan said:

IIRC, there was a story earlier on AI that talked about the installation process, which had some kind of a buffer/ dampner where the glass was installed, so it could move in a controlled space in the event of an earthquake.

Of course, you'd make the assumption that Apple just started building and California doesn't have any regulations on constructions.

• Reply 30 of 35
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    Great article Daniel.  Thank you!
  • Reply 31 of 35
    laowailaowai Posts: 2member
     Please hire fact checkers, firstly the Chinese store referenced in this article is in Shanghai's Pudong district not Beijing. Secondly there's a picture of the Covent Garden store in an article referring to German glass however the Covent Garden store is an English Heritage building, the glass in that store is sourced from England and not Germany. 
  • Reply 32 of 35
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Glass and aluminum, thats always the answer when you ask an architect about 'design'.
    The other thing is that outside must be in and the other way around, and every 'architect' thinks he is creating art.
    We will see how practical the building is in the future ...
  • Reply 33 of 35
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    iqatedo said:
    jwyatt said:
    Interesting point. Apple's design aesthetic would surely not envision cleaners suspended outside (or inside) daily, cleaning windows. Robotic systems operating exclusively at night anyone? 
    Cleaning is almost never considered in advance and the solutions are building shaking monsters.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 34 of 35
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    laowai said:
     however the Covent Garden store is an English Heritage building, the glass in that store is sourced from England and not Germany. 
    Glass contractor Seele GmbH
  • Reply 35 of 35
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    A religious monument to greed and gluttony of a behemoth corporation.

Sedak glass. I didn't see any mention of the rich Corinthian leather office chairs for the employees or the gold washroom faucet handles.

Let's all hope the iCar is a big success. Because the smartphone is flattening off, none of the other products are growing, and all it takes is a few bad quarters for Wall Street to turn on you, and all those windows build up dirt pretty darn fast.