Rumor: Battery in Apple's 'iPhone 7' will be 14% bigger than iPhone 6s

Posted:
in iPhone
A new rumor claims that although the next-generation iPhone is expected to be the thinnest model ever, Apple will still manage to squeeze in a 1960mAh battery, coming in just over 14 percent larger than the battery in the iPhone 6s.

The new claim from OnLeaks should be taken with a grain of salt, as the publication noted that the source who provided the rumor is "pretty reliable (not 100% but almost...)."

In comparison, the iPhone 6s features a battery capacity of 1715mAh, while its predecessor, the iPhone 6, was slightly larger at 1810mAh, despite both featuring the same 4.7-inch display. Though larger screens use more power, they also allow for larger batteries, as the 4-inch iPhone 5s series had a battery rated at about 1500mAh.

Apple's so-called "iPhone 7," expected to launch in September, is rumored to be between 6 and 6.5 millimeters thick, making it the thinnest iPhone to date. Despite the smaller frame, however, Apple could fit in a larger battery by shrinking or eliminating some internal components, including the legacy 3.5-millimeter headphone jack.

Apple's new 4.7-inch model is also expected to feature a faster A10 processor, an improved camera (but remaining camera bump), and a base configuration with 32 gigabytes of storage. It's also possible that Apple could bring the True Tone color display, with support for wide color, over from the 9.7-inch iPad Pro.

There hasn't been any indication how big the battery in Apple's anticipated 5.5-inch "iPhone 7 Plus" might be. The iPhone 6s Plus has a battery size of 2750mAh, while the iPhone 6 Plus is rated at 2915mAh.

Beyond a larger screen and bigger battery, the "iPhone 7 Plus" is rumored to feature a dual-lens camera, Smart Connector for magnetic charging, and 3 gigabytes of RAM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Galaxy S7 3000 mAh battery
    LG G5 
    2800 mAh battery
    Xiaomi Mi5 
    3000 mAh battery
    HTC 10 
    3000 mAh battery
    Huawei P9 
    3000 mAh battery

It's time for some bigger batteries in iPhones. So yea if this leak turns out to be true.
    roger wadecnocbui
  • Reply 2 of 40
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    LG G5 2800 mAh battery
    Xiaomi Mi5 3000 mAh battery
    HTC 10 3000 mAh battery
    Huawei P9 3000 mAh battery

It's time for some bigger batteries in iPhones. So yea if this leak turns out to be true.
    And still, with larger batteries, those phones still last about the same length of time. 1 day of use. 
    Deelronlolliverlondorai46davenmike1roundaboutnowfastasleepnostrathomasairbubble
  • Reply 3 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Any battery gain is welcome and needed. A 14% gain doing the same tasks would be most welcome. Yes I'm aware the new processor will be more efficient.
    edited July 2016 nostrathomas
  • Reply 4 of 40
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Losing the headphone jack would certainly help making space to increase the battery size, and 14% sounds just about right for the volume the jack presently occupies. 
    nostrathomasredgeminipacornchip
  • Reply 5 of 40
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    We may be approaching a limit of sensibility in "power & performance" available in handheld portables vs their battery runtime... I'm rather appalled by the frequency with which I must charge my 6s, with rather mild usage.
    nyctravisgoodbyeranchroger wade
  • Reply 6 of 40
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    LG G5 2800 mAh battery
    HTC 10 3000 mAh battery

Yeah but those are all large screen devices like the iPhone 6s+ that has 2915mAh which is right in the same ballpark already. In the article it says the 1960mAh battery is for the smaller iPhone 7.
    edited July 2016 Deelrongoodbyeranchlolliverlondorroundaboutnowfastasleepbrucemcnostrathomaspropodredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 40
    dysamoria said:
    We may be approaching a limit of sensibility in "power & performance" available in handheld portables vs their battery runtime...
    I doubt battery technology will be approaching a line in the sand anytime soon. There are a handful of incredible developments published for peer review in scholastic journals from labs across the globe. It's only a matter of time before these breakthroughs make it into customer's hands. You'd be surprised with what the future of technology holds for us. 
    edited July 2016 lolliverlondorai46redgeminipacornchip
  • Reply 8 of 40
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    14%... what is that, another 3 min?

kevdrextoysandme
  • Reply 9 of 40
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    bitmod said:

Agree. 14% is nothing to get excited about. I can't go anywhere with my 6s without either connecting it to my car charger or or portable battery pack. Forget about being #1 in thinness Apple--how about being #1 in battery power.
    roger wadetoysandme
  • Reply 10 of 40
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    bitmod said:

I'm sure you could use your "massive" (sic) brain to figure that this 1h40 of WIFI Browsing time for the 6s, one of the smallest and most efficient phone around.
    For the 6s+ that's 2h of browse time.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9686/the-apple-iphone-6s-and-iphone-6s-plus-review/8

So, why the Bullshit narrative ? Got an agenda to peddle?

roundaboutnowdrewys808fastasleepbrucemcnolamacguycornchip
  • Reply 11 of 40
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    bluefire1 said:
    bitmod said:

Agree. 14% is nothing to get excited about. I can't go anywhere with my 6s without either connecting it to my car charger or or portable battery pack. Forget about being #1 in thinness Apple--how about being #1 in battery power.
    I have been blown away by the improvement in battery life going from a 5 to a 6.  I have never not lasted a full work day unless I forgot to charge the night before.  At those times I still start with 25%.  Maybe I am just a light user compared to you...
  • Reply 12 of 40
    rptrpt Posts: 175member
    dysamoria said:
    We may be approaching a limit of sensibility in "power & performance" available in handheld portables vs their battery runtime...
    I doubt battery technology will be approaching a line in the sand anytime soon. There are a handful of incredible developments published for peer review in scholastic journals from labs across the globe. It's only a matter of time before these breakthroughs make it into customer's hands. You'd be surprised with what the future of technology holds for us. 
    Indeed there are. I have read a large number of them, but in spite of all the promises, the battery technology keeps on moving steadily, but slowly ahead, the ellusive  technology breakthrues not materializing.
    mike1
  • Reply 13 of 40

dysamoria said:
    We may be approaching a limit of sensibility in "power & performance" available in handheld portables vs their battery runtime... I'm rather appalled by the frequency with which I must charge my 6s, with rather mild usage.

If you'd done the same with the 3GS, which I still have with a brand new battery, you'd be charging it every 2h with current usage pattern.
    We use those devices much more intensely than we used too.

I think battery tech is the only thing that can save power users (or using tablets, not phablets, as phones).

edited July 2016
  • Reply 14 of 40
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Here is a thought. Make the phone a little thicker, eliminate the camera bump, double the battery size, and more than double the time between charges with more efficient chips. I don't really care that my phone is the "thinnest ever". The thickness of my 5s is just fine by me but charging every day while I'm backpacking is a pain in the backside.
    timbit
  • Reply 15 of 40
    daven said:
    Here is a thought. Make the phone a little thicker, eliminate the camera bump, double the battery size, and more than double the time between charges with more efficient chips. I don't really care that my phone is the "thinnest ever". The thickness of my 5s is just fine by me but charging every day while I'm backpacking is a pain in the backside.
    So, what about all the other people, you want them to have a 25% heaviers phone?
    The thickness of the 5s on a bigger phone makes it much heavier, on the 6s+ it would be very heavy.
    redgeminipanolamacguy
  • Reply 16 of 40
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    bluefire1 said:
    bitmod said:

What do you do with it in a day??? I use my 6 all day. E-mail, calls apps, web and most days I have to drain it fully so I can charge it each night. 
  • Reply 17 of 40
    mike1 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    bitmod said:

What do you do with it in a day??? I use my 6 all day. E-mail, calls apps, web and most days I have to drain it fully so I can charge it each night. 
    According to Apple, "Charge your Apple lithium-ion battery whenever you want. There’s no need to let it discharge 100% before recharging": http://www.apple.com/batteries/why-lithium-ion/
    fastasleeptoysandmeredgeminipa
  • Reply 18 of 40
    volcan said:
    LG G5 2800 mAh battery
    HTC 10 3000 mAh battery

Yeah but those are all large screen devices like the iPhone 6s+ that has 2915mAh which is right in the same ballpark already. In the article it says the 1960mAh battery is for the smaller iPhone 7.
    According to this article the 6S Plus is 2750mAh. Also none of the devices I listed above are as large as the 6S Plus. They're all 5-5.2".
  • Reply 19 of 40
    daven said:
    It seems clear that Apple has decided on what they think is acceptable battery life and if they hit that number that's all they care about. With iPads they've decided 9 hours is good enough.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    foggyhill said:
    bitmod said:

..."massive" (sic) brain...

You don't know how to use "sic", do you?
    alexmacmacguitoysandme