Video: See all the best new features in Apple's macOS Sierra

Posted:
in macOS edited July 2016
Apple's forthcoming macOS Sierra update will focus on continuity and iCloud, further blurring the lines between the company's Mac lineup and its portable devices, like iPhone and iPad. AppleInsider offers a closer look at what's new in macOS Sierra.

Subscribe to AppleInsider's official YouTube channel for more iOS 10 coverage including videos of new features in macOS Sierra and iOS 10, including an overhauled Messages app, Apple Maps and Apple Music.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Yay, a 1 second video!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    cnocbui said:
    Yay, a 1 second video!
    What? I thought it was a well done and very informative recap of the WWDC macOS presentation.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 3 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    volcan said:
    cnocbui said:
    Yay, a 1 second video!
    What? I thought it was a well done and very informative recap of the WWDC macOS presentation.
    Do you realize who you are responding to? @cnocbui is the lead troll on AI. He hasn’t posted a positive response to anything, ever. 
    nolamacguytallest skilwilliamlondonjony0
  • Reply 4 of 15
    new features I can use; main hesitation is using the file management macOS + iCloud with only a 50GB iCloud subscription.  I know Apple gives the OS update free and makes the money on the razor blades (server space).
  • Reply 5 of 15
    volcan said:
    cnocbui said:
    Yay, a 1 second video!
    I have to admit I didn't watch it and was just being facetious.  I'll just go and have a look.....  That is really a sad load of useless fluff, with most of it just being more of Apple's endless up-selling and ecosystem marketing and quagmiring, like pulling the the plug on the 3.5mm plug in the iPhone.  I don't have an iPhone or Watch so what's in it for me?  Absolutely nothing.  The cloud files nonsense indicates Apple wants to cheapskate on storage in forthcoming Macs then up-sell you to Cloud storage to compensate.  No thanks; on-board storage is the only way to go.  The Cloud is to computing what rap is to music.  Bring back the three finger swipe to the left in Finder windows to take you back, bring back Save As instead of this current duplicate file stupid paradigm.  OSX is going backwards and sideways.  
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    cnocbui said: The Cloud is to computing as rap is to music.  

Yup. Works fine, and some really enjoy it, and some don't.

Here's the thing. The Apple of today isn't the Apple of yesterday, or the Apple of a decade ago. In one quarter, they sell between 4.5 and 5.5 million Macs. In the same time period, they sell 80 million plus iOS devices. Apple is a mobile company primary, and a laptop and computer company secondarily - perhaps actually in third place, given the focus on services and media as of late.

There's going to be a convergence trend, whether the die hards like it or not. What's right for Apple isn't necessarily what's right for everybody, and I've found that the longer-time an Apple user you are, the less happy you are about the changes.
    edited July 2016 nolamacguy
  • Reply 7 of 15
    lkrupp said:
    volcan said:
    Do you realize who you are responding to? @cnocbui is the lead troll on AI. He hasn’t posted a positive response to anything, ever. 
    I have for years been advocating and defending OLED and think it is the way Apple should go so applaud them fro waking up to that, albeit a couple years after the writing was obvious on the wall, yet I have copped endless derision on here for doing so as it was seen as negativism because it involved actually giving Samsung credit they richly deserved.   I supported Apple in their stance on privacy, but you wouldn't notice something like that.  I said Apple should have told Carl iCahn to go fly a kite instead of giving into his share buy-back blackmail.  I said back when that started that Apple should have put that money into increased dividends.  Had they done that, their current share price would be more than double what it is currently.  That was being negative too, of course, because it wasn't what Apple were doing.
    staticx57
  • Reply 8 of 15
    cnocbui said:
    volcan said:
    I have to admit I didn't watch it and was just being facetious.  I'll just go and have a look.....  That is really a sad load of useless fluff,  
    My comment was only about the quality of the video, nothing else. I don't agree with every decision that Apple makes. It can be frustrating when Apple is always taking things away or hiding them with mystery navigation or they make you use the terminal to do things that were simple an intuitive previously. One such annoyance is the new character viewer which is now hidden as a tiny icon inside Emoji & Symbols when you used to select it from the menu bar. I hate Emojis so I guess that is why it defaults to that view. It took me quite awhile to find the actual character viewer and there is nothing on Apple's website about it that I could find. Only Emojis, Emojis, Emojis and more Emojis. 

:s   /s
    edited July 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 9 of 15
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ...and so the creepy creep on privacy continues...
    ...for a full feature user, and a hack, court order or major geopolitical shift, what won't the powers that be have access to...?
    For business in this jurisdiction there are over 60k professionals in one discipline that cannot legally store files outside the jurisdiction...  
    iCloud can't legal work for them...
  • Reply 10 of 15
    bobolicious said:

I quit using Apple's cloud when they took away iDisk or whatever it was called. That worked well for me because it took all file types. When iCloud came out, only iCloud enabled applications could store files there, but I didn't use any of those apps. I only use big professional applications. So I made my own cloud using a piece of PHP software called FileRun. Fantastic application. Way better than DropBox in my opinion and the best part is it is all yours. No government agency can snoop around and it can be located in your jurisdiction. You do need to develop your own back up solution though. I run a cron job to gz files and send them to another location.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    volcan said:
    cnocbui said:
    Yay, a 1 second video!
    yeah it was fine. troll is as troll does...dude's just another hater troll
    williamlondon
  • Reply 12 of 15

cnocbui said:
    volcan said:
    I have to admit I didn't watch it and was just being facetious.  I'll just go and have a look.....  That is really a sad load of useless fluff, with most of it just being more of Apple's endless up-selling and ecosystem marketing and quagmiring, like pulling the the plug on the 3.5mm plug in the iPhone.  I don't have an iPhone or Watch so what's in it for me?  Absolutely nothing.  The cloud files nonsense indicates Apple wants to cheapskate on storage in forthcoming Macs then up-sell you to Cloud storage to compensate.  No thanks; on-board storage is the only way to go.  The Cloud is to computing what rap is to music.  Bring back the three finger swipe to the left in Finder windows to take you back, bring back Save As instead of this current duplicate file stupid paradigm.  OSX is going backwards and sideways.  
    what a load of horseshit. typical tho, especially from a guy who didn't even bother to watch the video before he took the time to bag on it. sounds like you're pretty unhappy.

as for iCloud files, it's more of a backup, not a file system. it saves you space for infrequently used things. I can't think of a reason I wouldn't want to have this option at my disposal. 
    edited July 2016 latifbp
  • Reply 13 of 15

cnocbui said: The Cloud is to computing as rap is to music.  
    Yup. Works fine, and some really enjoy it, and some don't.

Here's the thing. The Apple of today isn't the Apple of yesterday, or the Apple of a decade ago. In one quarter, they sell between 4.5 and 5.5 million Macs. In the same time period, they sell 80 million plus iOS devices. Apple is a mobile company primary, and a laptop and computer company secondarily - perhaps actually in third place, given the focus on services and media as of late.

There's going to be a convergence trend, whether the die hards like it or not. What's right for Apple isn't necessarily what's right for everybody, and I've found that the longer-time an Apple user you are, the less happy you are about the changes.
    partly correct. mostly correct. only thing wrong is the notion that the older the fan the less happy...not from my vantage point, going back to the late 80s and 90s. my apple gear does way more than the machines I learned on, and I love that. 

only the whiners, babies, trolls, and children get worked up about the stuff they claim to hate. 
    latifbp
  • Reply 14 of 15

...and so the creepy creep on privacy continues...
    ...for a full feature user, and a hack, court order or major geopolitical shift, what won't the powers that be have access to...?
    For business in this jurisdiction there are over 60k professionals in one discipline that cannot legally store files outside the jurisdiction...  
    oh, so because you found a use case that can't use a feature, that means none of us should have access to the feature? or that the feature sucks?

jesus use your brain, man. 

and its its not a creepy creep on on privacy. don't like it? don't use it. boom, problem solved.
    latifbpwilliamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 15
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Apple's forthcoming macOS Sierra update will focus on continuity and iCloud, further blurring the lines between the company's Mac lineup and its portable devices, like iPhone and iPad. AppleInsider offers a closer look at what's new in macOS Sierra
    Yes not surprising more iCloud from Apple.
    Clouds I don't need, but avoiding Apple iCloud is becoming increasingly difficult and frustrating.