During military coup, Turkey's President Erdogan uses Apple's FaceTime for televised iPhone intervi

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2016
Turkey has been thrown into chaos after a military coup seized control of the government, declared martial law and began censoring media networks, but its president appeared on CNN T?RK, using Apple's FaceTime to issue a statement.

Turkish military issued an announcement on the nation's TRT state network stating that "the political administration that has lost all legitimacy has been forced to withdraw," according to a report by CNN. The military says it took the action to restore democracy and human rights.

Turkey's Prime Minister Binali Yildirim initially called the action an "attempted coup," then began describing it as a "mutiny."

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan then made an appearance via FaceTime, speaking to a CNN T?RK news anchor who held an iPhone in front of the camera. Erdoğan urged citizens to "go to the streets and give them their answer."

Turkey has suffered from a series of recent terrorist attacks, and is on the frontier of war between Syria and a series of rebel groups, some of which Turkey has labeled as terror groups.

Erdoğan led Turkey as Prime Minister for ten years starting in 2003, but in 2014 was forced to take a new position as president due to term limits. He has since worked to give himself more power while serving in the largely ceremonial role of president by seeking to change the country's constitution.

Erdoğan is strictly conservative, and has worked to advance his fundamentalist religious views on the largely secular nation. He has also repeatedly attempted to restrict social media, commonly blocking access to Facebook and YouTube.

Turkey is a close, strategic NATO ally of the United States. Under Erdoğan, Turkey has also worked to forge a relationship with Apple, announcing plans in 2013 to buy more than $3 billion worth of iPads for use in government and education.

Turkish Apple Store in Zorlu Center. | Source: orbaygumus via Instagram

Apple has two retail stores in the country, including an iconic landmark store at Zorlu Center (above). Apple is reportedly working on a third location to open this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Nothing says you're in control like having to issue a statement on FaceTime. 
    lostkiwitallest skilwaverboylatifbpDeelroncornchipjony0
  • Reply 2 of 51
    It's simply the best!  The most secure.
    FaceTime totally rocks.
    calilostkiwichiajony0
  • Reply 3 of 51
    So he used Facetime? So what?
    cnocbuisingularity
  • Reply 4 of 51
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't like that dictator. Hopefully he gets what's coming to him. :#

It's quite ironic that the censorship happy dictator, who loves to censor news and the internet is desperately communicating through the internet, using FaceTime.

Obama has of course already spoken out in support of the freedom hating dictator.

The world could use more coups. It's time to throw out the trash. :D 
    edited July 2016 latifbptyler82cornchipfrantisekpte apple
  • Reply 5 of 51
    apple ][ said:

It's quite ironic that the censorship happy dictator, who loves to censor news and the internet is desperately communicating through the internet, using FaceTime.

Obama has of course already spoken out in support of the freedom hating dictator.

"A little revolution, now and then, can be a healthy thing, don't you think?"
    latifbpcornchipfrantisekpte apple
  • Reply 6 of 51
    apple ][ said:

Turkey is a member of NATO and a primary US ally in the Middle East, so Obama doesn't have much leeway in whether he gets to "support" the country. But if you don't like dictators, think about the Republican nominee and his bromance with Putin and his accolades for Saddam Hussein. The US has its own conservative right wing & religious fundamentalists who been marching toward converting the nation into this exact same type of religious-dictatorship. I hope you feel the same way about freedom in the US as you express regarding Turkey.
    planetary pauldsdMacProhmmP-DogNCfotoformatDeelronpropodbaconstangnasserae
  • Reply 7 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The US has its own conservative right wing & religious fundamentalists who been marching toward converting the nation into this exact same type of religious-dictatorship.
    wew.
    apple ][elijahgcornchipjony0
  • Reply 8 of 51
    Fun fact for DED and people who feel similarly: Turkey's military is charged with maintaining a secular, fair government. This is them fulfilling that duty.  

Meanwhile, God-King Obama has said before that Erdogan is the leader he identifies most with. Says a lot, really. 
    tallest skilapple ][lord amhranlatifbpbadmonkelijahgdasanman69cornchipfrantisek
  • Reply 9 of 51
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    apple ][ said:

Turkey is a member of NATO and a primary US ally in the Middle East, so Obama doesn't have much leeway in whether he gets to "support" the country. But if you don't like dictators, think about the Republican nominee and his bromance with Putin and his accolades for Saddam Hussein. The US has its own conservative right wing & religious fundamentalists who been marching toward converting the nation into this exact same type of religious-dictatorship. I hope you feel the same way about freedom in the US as you express regarding Turkey.
    Putin is A-OK with me. I have no problems with Putin. Putin is no threat to me or to the USA. There are far greater threats in the world to the USA than Russia. There is no cold war anymore between the USA and Russia. The USA should be friends with anybody who hates Islamists.

Donald Trump will get along great with Putin and everything will be fine and dandy with Russia-US relations. Russian relations have suffered under Obama, but that will be fixed soon, as soon as Trump is placed into the Whitehouse. We can go and kill Islamists together, in a joint and successful operation with our Russian allies.

As for the USA, I think that religious fundamentalists of all stripes are retards, but in no way, shape or form, would I agree that there is a valid comparison between any Christian fundamentalists and Islamists. 

Only one of those two groups is currently waging war against the entire world and is actively seeking to conquer the entire world, spreading their cancer worldwide. Ergodan is an Islamic fundamentalist, a thug, an extremist, an authoritarian, and Turkey under his control is no friend to the civilized world.

The best chance for preserving freedom in the USA and the decent parts of the world is for Trump to win.

elijahgcornchip
  • Reply 10 of 51
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Daniel, interesting angle on this story. Imagine if we'd had cell phones and video streaming for the coup d'etat in Dallas in 1963. 

Things might be different now had we known the details of that event as they happened.
    dsdbaconstangbadmonkcornchippte apple
  • Reply 11 of 51
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    apple ][ said:

Excellent comment

P-DogNCdsdbaconstangnasseraepbrstreetglordjohnwhorfinpte apple
  • Reply 12 of 51
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Well, It looks like the iPhone saved the day.

The iPhone helped the Turkish people to avoid the coup.

Go FaceTime.
    dsdpbrstreetg
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Avoid what? It happened and it’s still happening.
  • Reply 14 of 51
    ncil49ncil49 Posts: 30member
    apple ][ said:

Hahahahaha.  Since you went there....Walk a mile every day among people with IQs of 80 who vote with the radical Venezuelan type left Democratic Party.   You will be enlightened.  Their kids and your kids will be peers.  Your kids minds will be infiltrated and destroyed and you will lose them.  It would scare the s**t out of you.  It's real.  Unspoken and real.  But you are an editor for Apple insider.  I understand that you can't understand a viewpoint different than yours.  Walk a mile with coked out moms, hard core child abusing parents deep in the white, black, latin ghettos.  I do it every day.  They will take it ALL with facilitation from the current Democratic Party.  Do it. Walk to your OB floor at the local county hospital.  Ask to spend a few weeks shadowing.  Walk to the county courthouse contains any major city and listen for a few weeks. This is America's future.  Talk to some Venezuelans in the US.  You know any?  See what the have to say.
    Screw you for saying anyone in the US is a conservative Saddam Hussein.  And Tim Cook better be careful not to turn Apple into Microsoft to bring it sort of on topic.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 15 of 51
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,663member
    So this guy finds a loophole to disrespect the term limits and expects everyone to be okay with that?

no wonder his own military is overthrowing him. The limits are there for a reason.

Time for someone new. You had your day in the sun. I agree with some of his views. But he must respect the constitution. Don't change it. 

Don't give Obama any ideas...

there is sadly much tragedy in this coup. But the military are not the only ones to blame. This president has incited it by his blatant disregard for the country, it's people, and it's laws, all to selfishly prop himself above everyone else. 

edited July 2016 tallest skilbaconstangcornchippte apple
  • Reply 16 of 51
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    Nah, it's over!  ...and the iPhone was instrumental in curbing the coup.
    The Turkish people do not support it.
    The US, UK, Germany, France  and the rest of Europe do not support it.
    Those militants are going to jail.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Nah, it's over!  ...and the iPhone was instrumental in curbing the coup.
    The Turkish people do not support it.
    The US, UK, Germany, France  and the rest of Europe do not support it.
    Those militants are going to jail.
    Jail, haha. They're going to be summarily executed by this Islamofascist, and Obama and co get another Islamic Regime in the world. 
    apple ][cornchip
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Nah, it's over!
    Livestream says otherwise.

...and the iPhone was instrumental in curbing the coup.
    Better ban all iPhones, then. Or maybe just assault iPhones.

latifbpapple ][cornchip
  • Reply 19 of 51
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    apple ][ said:

wish this happens to N. Korea, China and Vietnam...throwing out the garbages.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 20 of 51
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    apple ][ said:
    I don't like that dictator. Hopefully he gets what's coming to him.

The world could use more coups. It's time to throw out the trash. D 
    If only there was truth in your statement. Fact is Trump has scared off most of the religious right because of his centrist views on religion. The move to dump Trump is very much due to his lack of credibility with respect to what the Christian Right expects. Now contrast this with Hillary and Obama who have done more to damage our constitutional rights than any president in recent memory. If one looks at Trump objectively nothing he has alluded to can be considered right wing at all.
    gatorguylord amhrantallest skilcornchip