MetroPCS expands sales of Apple's iPhone line to all of US

Posted:
in iPhone
T-Mobile's prepaid MetroPCS brand on Friday began nationwide sales of Apple's current iPhone range, plus the iPhone 5s, following a soft launch in Florida.

Pricing is identical to that offered for the July 1 Florida debut. The iPhone 6s sells for $649 and up, with the 6s Plus starting at $749. The iPhone SE is available for $349 with a $50 instant rebate on the 16GB configuration, while the iPhone 5s is $199.

The iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and SE are all sold new. The condition of iPhone 5s models available from the carrier is unclear at this time.

MetroPCS has a much narrower device and plan selection than T-Mobile. While T-Mobile's core Simple Choice plans start at $50, however, MetroPCS plans begin at $30, and the carrier will take an additional $60 off a device purchase if a customer ports an existing phone number to the service.

In 2013, T-Mobile CEO John Legere said that the iPhone would ultimately come to MetroPCS, but that it wasn't going to happen quickly. When T-Mobile acquired MetroPCS, Legere claimed that there were branding positioning and marketing issues to consider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MetroPCS is great, but they still have this one really irritating thing where they won't let you move SIMs around; you have to call them up to give them the IMEI of the phone you're using with your SIM, or it won't work. Only GSM carrier I ever heard of that does that.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    I am using my iPhone SE on MetroPCS and I have one reservation. Currently it does not support Visual Voicemail. It uses the ancient practice of calling a central sever and makes you step through messages one at a time like an animal. Maybe this will be fixed soon.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MetroPCS is great, but they still have this one really irritating thing where they won't let you move SIMs around; you have to call them up to give them the IMEI of the phone you're using with your SIM, or it won't work. Only GSM carrier I ever heard of that does that.
    I am thinking of switching to metro from att but I have only read horrible reviews on all metro service-phone, text  and data. How long have you used metro and any problems?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sdbryan said:
    I am using my iPhone SE on MetroPCS and I have one reservation. Currently it does not support Visual Voicemail. It uses the ancient practice of calling a central sever and makes you step through messages one at a time like an animal. Maybe this will be fixed soon.
    SD bryan-I am thinking of switching to metro from att but I have only read horrible reviews on all metro service-phone, text  and data. How long have you used metro and any problems?

Anyone out there using Metro PCS? I would sincerely appreciate any feedback on  Metro PCS' service. Thanks
  • Reply 5 of 6
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    wendy143 said:
    sdbryan said:
    SD bryan-I am thinking of switching to metro from att but I have only read horrible reviews on all metro service-phone, text  and data. How long have you used metro and any problems?

Anyone out there using Metro PCS? I would sincerely appreciate any feedback on  Metro PCS' service. Thanks
    I have been using MetroPCS for about a month having switched from T-Mobile. I am in Tucson and have found a few dead spots but generally have not had any other issues with phone, text, or data. I am usually on wifi so cell service is often not an issue.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I've had Metro for a year and half - previously with grandfathered ATT unlimited, but just couldn't deal with the constant throttling. 60 bucks a month for unlimited everything, and data speeds are 2 to 3 times what I was getting with ATT. Signal strength can be dicey in buildings, but overall about the same as ATT. 

Visual voicemail works fine with my 6+, although it did stop working when I beta'd ios9. But it came back after they updated the carrier settings.