Editorial: Sorry Android bloggers, but Samsung's Galaxy S7 didn't outsell Apple's iPhone 6s

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    The Verge and company wrote an article based on ONE quarter's sales where the S7 did outsell the iPhone 6S/Plus and yet we get a long rambling article here which completely misses the point that it was only in one quarter. They weren't even comparing the launch quarters. This is a quarter 8 months after the iPhone was released and a few months after the S7 was released, of course the S7 will have a higher chance of selling more in the later quarters of the year. 

Yes in overall sales the iPhone did outsell the S7, but that' wasn't what the Verge was referring to.
    singularitycapasicumdoozydozen
  • Reply 22 of 56
    cnocbui said:
    DED doesn't need to workout in a gym if he keeps up with such desperate bailing efforts.  The quality of his 'sources' for 'supporting' evidence are dire - twitter? - and as for his logic?  The S7 went on sale in March, so DED quotes an IDC report from APRIL alleging an annual 0.6% decline in overall sales for the preceding year.  So in support of an article alleging the S7 didn't outsell the 6S, he uses as 'evidence' a report that clearly didn't include a single S7 sale.  Brilliant!

In criticising The Verge for it's story about S7 sales in 2016, he says: "
    The Verge report also ignored the rest of Kantar's data. That includes figures for China, "the world's largest smartphone market," which showed that Samsung has seen its once-leading share in urban markets collapse from 34 percent back in 2014

Exactly how are supposed Samsung sales in 2014 relevant to an argument about S7 sales in the US in 2016?

The content of the article doesn't even get close to supporting it's title.  It smacks of war time propaganda.  DED is Apple's Lord Haw Haw.

Precisely, this whole "article" just went on the defensive for no reason and dug out obscure "facts" that don't even work with the narrative. I'm not even a Samsung fan at all but I just found this whole thing ridiculous. So, Samsung outsold the iPhone in one quarter, what's the big deal? Are us Apple fans really that thin shelled that we need a defensive write up to keep patting ourselves on the back? I'm glad to see Samsung doing well again, because Apple needs some competition to keep itself on it's toes. The absolutely last thing in the world I'd want is for Apple to be the only successful brand as they'd have literally zero reason to want to innovate anymore.
    singularitydoozydozenlord amhrangatorguy
  • Reply 23 of 56
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,286member
    Wow DED, another great article by the way you brought the crazies out (myself included).  Yes, if the data is true (a bit of an if), Samsung barely edged out Apple's iPhone sales in one quarter in one country, a great victory for Samsung, seriously.
    ration alcapasicumdoozydozen
  • Reply 24 of 56
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Dracarys said:
     Are us Apple fans really that thin shelled that we need a defensive write up to keep patting ourselves on the back? I'm glad to see Samsung doing well again, because Apple needs some competition to keep itself on it's toes. The absolutely last thing in the world I'd want is for Apple to be the only successful brand as they'd have literally zero reason to want to innovate anymore.
    No, but apparently DED is. The usual quoting himself and using data that doesn't support the assertion but bolsters his narrative, it is his usual verbose way of reassuring himself and preaching to the choir.
    ASP will all ways be higher for Apples iPhones, they only sell premium phones, Samsung sells across the whole range. You are comparing oranges to apples. The pertinant point is that Apple outsells its nearest competitor in this category, those buying the cheap as chips phones aren't Apples customers and wont be for a while until they can afford an iPhone. Leaving a massive pool of potential upgraders for the future.

doozydozenlord amhranbaconstang
  • Reply 25 of 56
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    "You can recycle this Android phone for free at any Apple Store"

macseekerdoozydozenbaconstang
  • Reply 26 of 56
    You have to remember though that Samsung sells their high end phones with a much lower profit margin. The parts in an iPhone are much cheaper to make but they can still sell it for a much higher price. Samsung phones have higher quality parts for around the same price so they get much less of a profit margin per phone sold.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    Let's face Samsung made a better phone than Apple. But Apple has a unique software 
  • Reply 28 of 56
    You cannot compare iPhone with Samsung. Samsung is a copycat technology copying the creator 'Apple'. I would never touch a Samsung S7 or even S100 even if it were free since I hate to buy knock offs. 
    macseekernolamacguydoozydozenpscooter63
  • Reply 29 of 56
    PBGBobPBGBob Posts: 1member
    These articles and refutations are always fun. I love the holy wars of smartphones. Anyway I am on a Samsung Galaxy S7. It is a good and solid device. I upgraded to an iPhone 6s+ in January and did my best to enjoy the device, is, and ecosystem. It was not a fit. So just 5 months in I moved to Samsung. And am happy and well served.

Before you go nuts I do use a power Mac as my workstation. I like the BSD back end of the desktop OS and it's stability. It serves me well and I love it. The phone is and device just do not do it for me, so I stick with Android. 

Not all of us droid users are nuts and neither are all of iPhone users. I think you are smart to use what works best for you and makes you efficient. That is what I do. 

I will say these articles so often seem to be more click bait than anything. Sad but true. Can easily is still find them entertaining. Lol
    doozydozenbaconstang
  • Reply 30 of 56
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Mrlowe said:
    Sad really to see these 'us versus them' articles and comments. Competition is good for innovation and for consumer choice but it always seems that DED sees only a zero sum game where he wishes all other phone, music, payment and messaging platforms to fail and for everyone to have to use apple. Apple have generally not shown much responsiveness or continued innovation in markets where they arent driven by competition (apple tv, macs, tablets), every apple fan should pray for more and better competition, not the opposite.

The verge is a site that is a 'fan of technology' so you will see articles praising products and manufacturers and also articles calling them out on things that are not so good. They are hardly an 'android fan blog'. Shame DED drags down what would otherwise be a great rumour and news site here. I guess more clicks equals more ad revenue.
    what nonsense -- no innovation in iPad? guess you haven't seen the latest. and when I go back to visit my parents and use their old iPads, the improvements with the newer iPads is striking. how absurd to suggest otherwise. 

Apple TV has been the only set top box worth its salt for me, even more so now, despite the whiners bitching about the onscreen keyboard. and macs? please, they lead the industry in sales and satisfaction. practically every other laptop is a direct ripoff, right down to the silver body with black chicklet keys. my rMBP is an amazing machine. 

as for AI -- it's a better tumors site than the alternatives, and the commentary has historically been the best. if you don't like it, take your 3 post history and try something else maybe?
    ericthehalfbeefastasleepai46icoco3baconstangpscooter63
  • Reply 31 of 56
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    appex said:
    "Samsung's Galaxy S7 didn't outsell Apple's iPhone 6s". What about worldwide sales?
    Apple actually releases real SEC audited numbers, while who knows what Samsung releases, but it tells you nothing precise.
    That's all you need to know in all of this.
    ericthehalfbeedoozydozenbaconstangpscooter63teaearlegreyhotpalomine
  • Reply 32 of 56
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Yes, it is pretty funny that the report in question is not actually challenged. Kantar reports quarterly data, and for the first time the Samsung flagship outsold the Apple flagship in the US. By a tiny amount. It is significant because it hasn't happened before but perhaps that is also the real surprise given that the quarter in question is much more favorable to Samsung. I have an S7 edge and it is no surprise to me ... I imagine the phone is getting very strong word of mouth because it is the clearly the best phone ever released. Unlike the S5 and S6 there is no compromise this time. There can be discussion around the software but the hardware superiority is an open and shut case.
    Laughable! Where do you clowns come from? The fact that their new phone actually fails the water test despite its claims makes it clearly superior hardware? Also, the fact that Samsung has to give away free devices, such as BOGO free phones, a free watch, a free VR headset, or even a free TV, to achieve their sales clearly indicates 4 things: 

1. They are desparate
    2. They are not making ANY money on these sales
    3. That this phone can clearly not stand on its own
    4. They have simply moved replacement phone purchases forward by their loyal base through obscenely rich free giveaways

oh, but you think it's because of superior hardware!

ROFLOL
    doozydozenai46icoco3baconstangpatchythepirate
  • Reply 33 of 56
    And the paid Samesung trollers are out in force - the one post wonders....
    doozydozenericthehalfbeeai46icoco3baconstangpatchythepirate
  • Reply 34 of 56
    DED is reporting exactly the right thing for comparison purposes but the dense droid fans are clueless to realize it. DED rightfully compares device launch window to device launch window which is the correct way to review the actual results when trying to compare a trend, not out of sync quarters, not new device launch versus older product. This is especially true in the mobile device market! As previously posted, Samsung's last quarter was clearly one of desperation as they only achieved their numbers by giving stuff away, thus making no money, and simply moving replacement sales forward from their existing fan base. IMHO, they will take a big dive again soon, unless they give away even more free stuff. There is an old marketing adage: "What is the value of something you give away for free?" Answer: "0"

Samesung continues to devalue their own brand. On top of which they are a morally bankrupt company.
    edited July 2016 ai46icoco3baconstangpatchythepirate
  • Reply 35 of 56
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    freerange said:

I wish I could be a paid troll honestly. that sounds like good money
    baconstang
  • Reply 36 of 56
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    why- said:
    freerange said:

Even if they pay you with a free phone?
    palomine
  • Reply 37 of 56
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    freerange said:
    Yes, it is pretty funny that the report in question is not actually challenged. Kantar reports quarterly data, and for the first time the Samsung flagship outsold the Apple flagship in the US. By a tiny amount. It is significant because it hasn't happened before but perhaps that is also the real surprise given that the quarter in question is much more favorable to Samsung. I have an S7 edge and it is no surprise to me ... I imagine the phone is getting very strong word of mouth because it is the clearly the best phone ever released. Unlike the S5 and S6 there is no compromise this time. There can be discussion around the software but the hardware superiority is an open and shut case.
    Laughable! Where do you clowns come from? The fact that their new phone actually fails the water test despite its claims makes it clearly superior hardware? Also, the fact that Samsung has to give away free devices, such as BOGO free phones, a free watch, a free VR headset, or even a free TV, to achieve their sales clearly indicates 4 things: 

1. They are desparate
    4. They have simply moved replacement phone purchases forward by their loyal base through obscenely rich free giveaways

ROFLOL
    good job you cant get an iPhone on a bogof deal otherwise points 1 to 4 could be thrown at Apple...

https://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/apple-iphone-6s-6splus-bogo-offer.html
  • Reply 38 of 56
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    freerange said:

1. They are desparate

ROFLOL
    good job you cant get an iPhone on a bogof deal otherwise points 1 to 4 could be thrown at Apple...

That was an ATT offer and ATT ate the cost.
    michael scripbaconstang
  • Reply 39 of 56
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    icoco3 said:

That was an ATT offer and ATT ate the cost.
    So Apple knows nothing about it or doesn't care? I find that hard to believe.
    Astrix21lord amhransingularity
  • Reply 40 of 56
    why-why- Posts: 305member
    quinney said:
    why- said:

Even if they pay you with a free phone?

hell a galaxy s7's gotta go for what, £450? decent money right there for making snide comments online