New photos claim to show three different 'iPhone 7' models, including 'Pro'

Posted:
in iPhone
A batch of photos published on Monday show what are purported to be three different models of the "iPhone 7," including a "Pro," but with unlikely "S" markings on the back.

In the images, discovered on China's Weibo by NWE, a smaller device is labeled as the standard iPhone 7, while two bigger devices are identified as the "Plus" and "Pro." The latter pair appear to be identical until they're seen from behind, in which case only the "Pro" has a dual-lens camera and a Smart Connector.

A handful of rumors have suggested the possibility of a "Pro" model, but typically these have been sidelined given Apple's current model split and the lack of any consistent word on what would separate a Pro device. The dual-lens camera and Smart Connector have usually been attached to the Plus.

Casting doubt on the authenticity of the images are "S" markings. Apple has traditionally reserved that badge for its interim performance upgrades, and released the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus just last September -- a different use of "S" would risk confusion.

In any case new iPhones are expected to ship this fall, presumably in Apple's normal September launch window. They're expected to lose a 3.5mm headphone jack, but finally make the jump to 32 gigabytes for entry-level storage. Top-end capacity could potentially leap from 128 gigabytes to 256.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    "s" branding and text looks shopped on. I doubt very much they'll do a plus and a pro. Though Apple lately likes to complicate their lineup so you never know. 9to5Mac can always tell us Apple's doing it unless they don't do it. Hedging-journalism at its finest over there.
  • Reply 2 of 41
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I picked up an iPhone SE last week, and I'm looking at the back of it right now to compare it to the picture in this article.

The back of the SE looks so much better than the back of whatever those phones shown in the photo are. They don't look good at all. The back looks like the back of what somebody might expect from an Android phone.

The SE has the unmistakable Apple design. I don't find the backs of the phones in the picture to be very Apple like and certainly not something that I would characterize as beautiful.

6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 3 of 41
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    So, if this were to be believed...an iPhone 7 Pro would start at around $850 for a 64 GB model? Over $1k for the 256 GB model? Or am I wrong here?
    Well, that's one way to boost ASP after months of SE sales.

I don't buy it. Its not that I don't believe Apple would release an iPhone Pro...I don't believe they would release at the exact same time as 2 other new iPhone models, all with their own unique feature sets. 
    edited July 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 41
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    TurboPGT said:
    So, if this were to be believed...an iPhone 7 Pro would start at around $850 for a 64 GB model? Over $1k for the 256 GB model? Or am I wrong here?

I don't buy it. Its not that I don't believe Apple would release an iPhone Pro...I don't believe they would release at the exact same time as 2 other new iPhone models, all with their own unique feature sets. 
    Sure they would if the other two phones have no big updates other than a slightly better camera and A10 processor. But IF this is legit a whole lot of people are going to be pissed that they'll have to spend at least $899 to get the best camera. It sure seems like nothing more than a ploy to get people to spend more money. Stick 'Pro' behind the product name, add $100 to the price and voilá.
    jackansisingularitynetmage
  • Reply 5 of 41
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    TurboPGT said:

Sure they would if the other two phones have no big updates other than a slightly better camera and A10 processor. But IF this is legit a whole lot of people are going to be pissed that they'll have to spend at least $899 to get the best camera. It sure seems like nothing more than a ploy to get people to spend more money. Stick 'Pro' behind the product name, add $100 to the price and voilá.
    If it works with the pen, and has the iPad Pro 9.7 color correction and color management features, why not an iPhone Pro?
    doozydozenbestkeptsecretnetmage
  • Reply 6 of 41
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    TurboPGT said:

or another way to look at it is, Apple will lower the price on the other phones to drive more sales and bring in a pro line to have bring up ASP. At this point we have people manufacturing things to create rumors, we can not even tell if the images are real or fake.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 41
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I'm sure glad I skipped the 6 series. These not only look far nicer, but the camera looks like it will blow those away.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 41
    apple ][ said:
    I picked up an iPhone SE last week, and I'm looking at the back of it right now to compare it to the picture in this article.

The back of the SE looks so much better than the back of whatever those phones shown in the photo are. They don't look good at all. The back looks like the back of what somebody might expect from an Android phone.

The SE has the unmistakable Apple design. I don't find the backs of the phones in the picture to be very Apple like and certainly not something that I would characterize as beautiful.

I agree. I love my SE. I think Apple should seriously consider moving the 8 to a design that resembles the 5 series. I like the angular sides, they might no feel great at that side. But they look very good. (RIM/Blackberry really was on to something when they used similar lines on the Bold.) The antenna bands were visible on the 5, but I never really cared about them. On the 6 they are just ugly. The suggested look for the 7 looks better than the 6. But I'd still love to see them make those iconic top and bottom stripes a real part of what it means to be an Apple device.
    apple ][
  • Reply 9 of 41
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    qwwera said:
    I'm sure glad I skipped the 6 series. These not only look far nicer, but the camera looks like it will blow those away.
    that's silly because you could have said it about any series over any other past series. buy what you need when you need it, and you can't go wrong. 
    doozydozenwilliamlondon
  • Reply 10 of 41
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    maestro64 said:

or another way to look at it is, Apple will lower the price on the other phones to drive more sales and bring in a pro line to have bring up ASP. At this point we have people manufacturing things to create rumors, we can not even tell if the images are real or fake.
    No way they would update the 4.7" and 5.5" Plus with new camera and processor AND lower the price.

This rumor seems plausible to me (not that I agree with the decisions made mind you). This will be Apple's version of the Galaxy Note and be $100 more expensive than the Plus. Any way Schiller can get someone to spend $100 more he will. And I'll bet any money the Plus will still have differences from the 4.7" model to justify it being $100 more. Simplicity goes out the window when it's all about margins and ASPs.
    doozydozenjackansi
  • Reply 11 of 41
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    maestro64 said:

No way they would update the 4.7" and 5.5" Plus with new camera and processor AND lower the price.

This rumor seems plausible to me (not that I agree with the decisions made mind you). This will be Apple's version of the Galaxy Note and be $100 more expensive than the Plus. Any way Schiller can get someone to spend $100 more he will. And I'll bet any money the Plus will still have differences from the 4.7" model to justify it being $100 more. Simplicity goes out the window when it's all about margins and ASPs.
    I agree with you on all of this except that simplicity, minimizing SKU's, isn't all that important given the sales breadth and volume that Apple does. This is what happens when you have a mature product line.
    doozydozenpatchythepirate
  • Reply 12 of 41
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    davidmalcolm said:
    I agree. I love my SE. I think Apple should seriously consider moving the 8 to a design that resembles the 5 series. I like the angular sides, they might no feel great at that side. But they look very good. 
    The angular sides do look good but I found they wear out pants pockets. The rounded edges of the 6 series are not as harsh. Blue jeans cost more than $50 and they wear out too fast as it is. You know how your wallet shows the wear on the back pocket. I was getting the same thing on the front pocket from the iPhone 5.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 13 of 41
    qwwera said:
    that's silly because you could have said it about any series over any other past series. buy what you need when you need it, and you can't go wrong. 
    I don't care about when the phones were released or which series came out first.

It's like looking at two different paintings or pieces of art. Nobody cares which came first. What matters is which looks better and which is more pleasing to the eyes.
  • Reply 14 of 41
    volcan said:
    davidmalcolm said:
    I agree. I love my SE. I think Apple should seriously consider moving the 8 to a design that resembles the 5 series. I like the angular sides, they might no feel great at that side. But they look very good. 
     You know how your wallet shows the wear on the back pocket. 
    I wouldn't know that actually, since I would never keep my wallet in my back pocket.

Thin wallet in front pocket for the win. iPhone in other front pocket. :#
    doozydozen
  • Reply 15 of 41
    apple ][ said:
    volcan said:
     You know how your wallet shows the wear on the back pocket. 
    I wouldn't know that actually, since I would never keep my wallet in my back pocket.

When I travel I follow that logic as well, but I live on a golf course in the suburbs where there are no pickpockets. When I do travel with my wallet along with a passport in the front pocket I think it can sometimes cut off the blood circulation a little bit. That is right where the femoral artery is.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 16 of 41
    volcan said:
    apple ][ said:

When I travel I follow that logic as well, but I live on a golf course in the suburbs where there are no pickpockets. When I do travel with my wallet along with a passport in the front pocket I think it can sometimes cut off the blood circulation a little bit. That is right where the femoral artery is.
    I've been using one of those thin wallets for a while now. It's only slightly thicker than my caseless iPhone, and that's with a bunch of credit cards and cash in it.

I also live in a big city, so it's wise to always be aware of various thugs and degenerates that might be lurking around.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    newnysnewnys Posts: 3member
    Interesting how it has the s badge on the rear, this year could bring the iPhone 6GS and not named the iPhone 7.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    apple ][ said:

I also live in a big city, so it's wise to always be aware of various thugs and degenerates that might be lurking around.
    Front pocket or back pocket, neither will stand up to a switchblade.
  • Reply 19 of 41
    volcan said:
    apple ][ said:

Front pocket or back pocket, neither will stand up to a switchblade.
    A gun can stand up to a switchblade.

But if somebody is unlucky enough to get robbed and they're not armed, then I agree that it doesn't matter if it's front pocket or back pocket. It does help against any pickpockets though, so that's a good enough reason for me to keep doing it.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    apple ][ said:
    I don't care about when the phones were released or which series came out first.

It's like looking at two different paintings or pieces of art. Nobody cares which came first. What matters is which looks better and which is more pleasing to the eyes.
    when talking about cameras, yes, you care about a newer generation over an older.