Editorial: Sorry Android bloggers, but Samsung's Galaxy S7 didn't outsell Apple's iPhone 6s

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    If everyone has bought an iPhone who wants an iPhone.... And satisfaction surveys are over 90%...Then doesn't it stand to reason that these people are future buyers!?
    baconstang
  • Reply 42 of 56
    MrloweMrlowe Posts: 3member
    Mrlowe said:
    Sad really to see these 'us versus them' articles and comments. Competition is good for innovation and for consumer choice but it always seems that DED sees only a zero sum game where he wishes all other phone, music, payment and messaging platforms to fail and for everyone to have to use apple. Apple have generally not shown much responsiveness or continued innovation in markets where they arent driven by competition (apple tv, macs, tablets), every apple fan should pray for more and better competition, not the opposite.

The verge is a site that is a 'fan of technology' so you will see articles praising products and manufacturers and also articles calling them out on things that are not so good. They are hardly an 'android fan blog'. Shame DED drags down what would otherwise be a great rumour and news site here. I guess more clicks equals more ad revenue.
    what nonsense -- no innovation in iPad? guess you haven't seen the latest. and when I go back to visit my parents and use their old iPads, the improvements with the newer iPads is striking. how absurd to suggest otherwise. 

Apple TV has been the only set top box worth its salt for me, even more so now, despite the whiners bitching about the onscreen keyboard. and macs? please, they lead the industry in sales and satisfaction. practically every other laptop is a direct ripoff, right down to the silver body with black chicklet keys. my rMBP is an amazing machine. 

as for AI -- it's a better tumors site than the alternatives, and the commentary has historically been the best. if you don't like it, take your 3 post history and try something else maybe?

I have an iPad Pro 9.7 which cost just short of $1000 all in. For that kind of money it is definitely not showing much innovation over my old iPad air and iPad mini 2. The experience is basically identical until you start exporting large videos when it takes the lead. But really, where is the innovation? The only thing I can see is that Apple built a 12.9 inch version with a keyboard to counter the competition from the surface pro and others (driven by the competition again). I bought it  in the hope of doing real work and visual design but iOS still prevents this. I'm actually trading the pro now with someone for their HTC vive VR set.

Also I have a retina pro 13 and 15 alongside 3 generations of airs. Agree with you that they are great machines but hardly pushing new innovative features. The last iPhone I bought was a 6 plus which sits on the shelf to my S7 edge which is just a much better phone in terms of new features and making me smile.

But I'm not sure what your point is. Do you also believe that all competition should fail and everything should be apple? It would be a rather bland world of tech. 

Also sorry about my 3 post history (sir) I will know my place better in the future. I have been visiting this site for many years and am an avid apple user going back 20 years. I have never felt the need to post before and just read the news but these Breitbart style posts from DED prompted me to post.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    geekmee said:
    If everyone has bought an iPhone who wants an iPhone.... And satisfaction surveys are over 90%...Then doesn't it stand to reason that these people are future buyers!?
    Yes, but that would mean no growth due to new customers. (Although I don't believe the basis of the thesis that Apple will not grow any more.)
  • Reply 44 of 56
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Let's face Samsung made a better phone than Apple. But Apple has a unique software 
    There should be a rule to block Samsung paid agent here.

Dracarys said:
    cnocbui said:
    DED doesn't need to workout in a gym if he keeps up with such desperate bailing efforts.  The quality of his 'sources' for 'supporting' evidence are dire - twitter? - and as for his logic?  The S7 went on sale in March, so DED quotes an IDC report from APRIL alleging an annual 0.6% decline in overall sales for the preceding year.  So in support of an article alleging the S7 didn't outsell the 6S, he uses as 'evidence' a report that clearly didn't include a single S7 sale.  Brilliant!

In criticising The Verge for it's story about S7 sales in 2016, he says: "

Exactly how are supposed Samsung sales in 2014 relevant to an argument about S7 sales in the US in 2016?

The content of the article doesn't even get close to supporting it's title.  It smacks of war time propaganda.  DED is Apple's Lord Haw Haw.

Precisely, this whole "article" just went on the defensive for no reason and dug out obscure "facts" that don't even work with the narrative. I'm not even a Samsung fan at all but I just found this whole thing ridiculous. So, Samsung outsold the iPhone in one quarter, what's the big deal? Are us Apple fans really that thin shelled that we need a defensive write up to keep patting ourselves on the back? I'm glad to see Samsung doing well again, because Apple needs some competition to keep itself on it's toes. The absolutely last thing in the world I'd want is for Apple to be the only successful brand as they'd have literally zero reason to want to innovate anymore.

Samsung sales number is questionable (unlike trust-able Apple sales number), but putting that aside, even if it's true that Samsung outsold the iPhone in one quarter, judging from the Verge and the likes plus the readers responds, that "one quarter" is easily dismissed while celebrating the "fact" that Samsung outsold Apple iPhone, "no matter in what circumstances." It was on that "unfairly judgmental" that this article tried to clear up, although I am pretty sure that every Android fans knew already, right?
    baconstang
  • Reply 45 of 56
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    Why do we need to care about ss, any way? The most threatening step made recently was goog finally adding app permissions to Android, but this isn't going to make its Marketplace/Play Store more profitable, nor more reliable, for developers. It will still be riddled with knock-offs and no consumer protection. Android still has no answer for 3DTouch - it took Android three years to copy MultiTouch as it was, and goog still has no way to promote UI guidelines. Ss betrayed Apple, proved in court that it did so with its own memos, and is being supported by people for this? Ss deserves to be removed from business. Apple is a true American company that returned from being the underdog with the most innovative person in technology. Apple is still pioneering tech for goog, ss and ms to copy, but there is still no credit given by them or their hypocritical enthusiasts. What gives? Good for ss that they finally got their release weekend sales up. Good for them. Not sure why this has doom spelled out for Apple, though, even if they hadn't needed to give away their devices for free.
    baconstang
  • Reply 46 of 56
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    icoco3 said:
    That was an ATT offer and ATT ate the cost.
    So Apple knows nothing about it or doesn't care? I find that hard to believe.
    Apple themselves do not need to run a promotion to sell their phones.  They get their full cut on the wholesale side.  I never insinuated Apple did not know about it, and that is irrelevant to what I said.
    baconstang
  • Reply 47 of 56
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    That's hilarious "You can recycle this Android phone for free at any Apple Store" haha, yeah now that you're done just go ahead and recycle that piece of BLEEP. It's just kinda silly funny if you look at it...
    P-DogNC
  • Reply 48 of 56
    WTF is a "flagship" phone?  Samsung makes no model by that name, nor does any other phone maker, AFAIK.  The only "flagships" I know about are naval vessels, with no similarity at all to smartphones.  Yet this AI article refers to "flagship" at least SIX TIMES.  If you're going to invent words, can't you at least be a little more creative and make up words that aren't already in use elsewhere?  Sheesh.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Uhm, @teaearlegreyhot , 'Flagship phone' is a term that is used world wide for the best phones a company has to offer. For Samsung: that's the S7/Edge, for Apple that's currently the 6S/6S+. Please, keep your posts on an intellectual level. 
    icoco3
  • Reply 50 of 56
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    icoco3 said:
    So Apple knows nothing about it or doesn't care? I find that hard to believe.
    Apple themselves do not need to run a promotion to sell their phones.  They get their full cut on the wholesale side.  I never insinuated Apple did not know about it, and that is irrelevant to what I said.
    So? How do you know that Samsung isn't getting their full cut? And who cares? To the consumer it's still BOGO and I don't remember many, if any, BOGO promotions prior to the 6 or 6S.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    P-DogNCP-DogNC Posts: 37member
    Yes, it is pretty funny that the report in question is not actually challenged. Kantar reports quarterly data, and for the first time the Samsung flagship outsold the Apple flagship in the US. By a tiny amount. It is significant because it hasn't happened before but perhaps that is also the real surprise given that the quarter in question is much more favorable to Samsung. I have an S7 edge and it is no surprise to me ... I imagine the phone is getting very strong word of mouth because it is the clearly the best phone ever released. Unlike the S5 and S6 there is no compromise this time. There can be discussion around the software but the hardware superiority is an open and shut case.
    Hardware superiority? Does that mean Samsung finally solved the insurmountable engineering problem of having their adapter and port holes actually line up in a straight line on the S7? http://www.imore.com/galaxy-s7-samsung-still-cant-achieve-apple-level-industrial-design Whoops, I guess not!
  • Reply 52 of 56
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    P-DogNC said:
    Yes, it is pretty funny that the report in question is not actually challenged. Kantar reports quarterly data, and for the first time the Samsung flagship outsold the Apple flagship in the US. By a tiny amount. It is significant because it hasn't happened before but perhaps that is also the real surprise given that the quarter in question is much more favorable to Samsung. I have an S7 edge and it is no surprise to me ... I imagine the phone is getting very strong word of mouth because it is the clearly the best phone ever released. Unlike the S5 and S6 there is no compromise this time. There can be discussion around the software but the hardware superiority is an open and shut case.
    Hardware superiority? Does that mean Samsung finally solved the insurmountable engineering problem of having their adapter and port holes actually line up in a straight line on the S7? http://www.imore.com/galaxy-s7-samsung-still-cant-achieve-apple-level-industrial-design Whoops, I guess not!
    You appear to be confusing aesthetic criteria and hardware superiority.  The latter does not require the former.  The second comment about that nonsense, succinctly sums it up:

That's what I'm saying... It's a loose- loose. If Samsung lines them up, Rene will report that they are copying Apple "to the tee." If they don't line them up, he still complains. I don't get it. I'm all for journalism and good objective articles, but this issue is far from that. Not sure what the motivation behind it is...

edited July 2016
  • Reply 53 of 56
    icoco3 said:
    So? ... And who cares? ...
    My thoughts on your comments exactly.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    Uhm, @teaearlegreyhot , 'Flagship phone' is a term that is used world wide for the best phones a company has to offer. For Samsung: that's the S7/Edge, for Apple that's currently the 6S/6S+. Please, keep your posts on an intellectual level. 
    I'm saying it's a metaphor that has lost its meaning and therefore should be abandoned.  NOBODY ever talks about a flagship that is actually a ship.  So use of the metaphor obscures, rather than enhances, communication.  And that, (sir) is an intellectual point, just so you know.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    I'm saying it's a metaphor that has lost its meaning and therefore should be abandoned.  NOBODY ever talks about a flagship that is actually a ship.  So use of the metaphor obscures, rather than enhances, communication.  And that, (sir) is an intellectual point, just so you know.
    I know what it means and was not confused.  I served on board a Naval Flagship so am well aware of its nautical origins.  The term was used correctly in the context of the article and conversation.  I believe your have stumbled over your own manufactured intellect on this one...
    applepieguy
  • Reply 56 of 56
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Here in Canada I see Samsung this way. Samsung prices on new high end phones are just slightly below Apple iPhone prices. But users buying high end phones tend to buy the Apple iPhone, like me. Our reason is avoiding android spyware first, second the screen quality of Samsung is not quite as good, based on my own careful observations, third the andriod OS is not kept up to date as long as Apple's iOS is. So not so knowlegable users buy Samsung and other phones when they are being cleared out at lower prices after a few years on the market. They Samsung buy simply because it is cheaper than the iPhone! I know a number of these users and have observed many also aren't as knowledgable on their Net use as Apple iPhone users. I've also observed that they have many troubles getting all android functions to work, they sometimes ask me for help, but I honestly have to decline because I'm not familiar with android so probably can't give worthwhile help. A current new android user friend in trouble I suggested she go to Samsung and the carrier for help, since the phone seller wasn't helping her. Unfortunately neither Samsung or the carrier were interested in helping. So her prone is seldom used, just a waste of money.