Apple Pay expands to France with support for Mastercard and Visa cards

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2016
Apple continued an accelerated worldwide rollout of its in-house payments service Apple Pay on Tuesday with a debut in France, the eighth major market to gain compatibility since launch.

As noted by local blog iPhone Addict, Apple announced Apple Pay availability through its regional website early this morning.

In France, Mastercard and Visa credit cards marketed through Banque Populaire, Caisse Epargne, Carrefour Banque and Ticket Restaurant can be provisioned through the service, with upcoming support slated for Boon and Orange. Apple lists 15 major chains as participating retailers, including its own brick-and-mortar stores, with future support promised from Boulanger, Orange and department store Galleries Lafayette.

Todays launch comes less than two weeks after Switzerland gained Apple Pay support earlier this month, and about a month after Apple revealed progress toward a French debut at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference in June.

Since its U.S. introduction in 2014, Apple Pay has expanded to Australia, Canada, China, Singapore, Switzerland and the UK.

In an interview earlier this year, Apple Pay chief Jennifer Bailey said the company is currently focused on an aggressive rollout in Europe and Asia, but the goal is to bring the service to every major market in which Apple products are sold. Hong Kong is expected to be Apple Pay's next launch market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    applesauce007applesauce007 Posts: 1,698member
    ...and the hits just keep on coming!
    Go Apple, go go go.

Next stops:  Switzerland and Hong Kong.
    jbdragonlostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 13
    cmauscmaus Posts: 49member
    If you care about Switzerland,
    they're in already!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    fzocfzoc Posts: 1member
    Well in fact it seems that this is not entirely true: I have a Mastercard from "Banque Populaire" and my iPhone says that it is not supported when trying to register. My Wife's Visa from the same bank is Ok.
    ireland
  • Reply 4 of 13
    When I was in Bayeux, France (Normandy region) in late April there were several shops including Carrefour that had terminals with the NFC logo, meaning my American cards loaded in Apple Pay should have worked. However none did and I was told more than once that most vendors in France had turned off NFC functionality even where it already exists because citizens are afraid of the technology and believe there is a major risk of being accidentally charged because of their card being in relatively close proximity to the reader even for transactions that are not their own. Can any French readers address if this is in fact the popular opinion there?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    When I was in Bayeux, France (Normandy region) in late April there were several shops including Carrefour that had terminals with the NFC logo, meaning my American cards loaded in Apple Pay should have worked. However none did and I was told more than once that most vendors in France had turned off NFC functionality even where it already exists because citizens are afraid of the technology and believe there is a major risk of being accidentally charged because of their card being in relatively close proximity to the reader even for transactions that are not their own. Can any French readers address if this is in fact the popular opinion there?
    It's amazing how quickly perceptions change though. Only 3 months ago my customers were paranoid about contactless, and now the majority of transactions are through contactless.

(FTR I'm not in France, I'm in UK)
    edited July 2016 jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 13
    It's amazing how quickly perceptions change though. Only 3 months ago my customers were paranoid about contactless, and now the majority of transactions are through contactless.

I won't use NFC from a card. I've got rid of all my NFC capable cards. I do however use Apple Pay.
    I've seen the kit needed to 'sniff' your NFC card details and witnessed someone get the details of a card that was in someones pocket just by standing next to them.
    Crowded places are a gift to people with these sniffers. Thankfully they can't get inside the iPhone (yet).
    Fraud is apparently the biggest crime today and I don't want to give them any more help that I have to.

jbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 13
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

I won't use NFC from a card. I've got rid of all my NFC capable cards. I do however use Apple Pay.
    I've seen the kit needed to 'sniff' your NFC card details and witnessed someone get the details of a card that was in someones pocket just by standing next to them.
    Crowded places are a gift to people with these sniffers. Thankfully they can't get inside the iPhone (yet).
    Fraud is apparently the biggest crime today and I don't want to give them any more help that I have to.

It's certainly possible to to scam someone in a crowded place. But the chances are still very remote of it happening to you. Maximum you will lose is £30. I'm willing to take the chance for the convenience. Same as getting on a plane, I would rather fly and take the risk of it crashing than take a slow boat to my destination.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

RFID secure wallet with loads of useful features for travelling.

Protects against data theft : wallet with integrated read protection. Credit cards, passports and ID cards are increasingly being fitted with RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) chips with personal details that, thanks to radio technology, can be read quickly and without physical contact. Unfortunately, this can also occur when you don t want it to. The Folder Wallet RFID is a safe place to keep debit and ID cards since it incorporates the CRYPTALLOY foil that blocks radio waves and thus prevents any attempts at data theft.

With the "Cryptalloy" foil, Tatonka uses a film that offers maximum shielding against relevant frequencies (from 100 kHz to 4 GHz; this means low, high and ultrahigh frequency range) and due to a frequency shift disturbs any radio communication. This was tested and certified by the TÜV Saarland.

I personally don't care as banks these days make good on pretty much all fraud relating to accounts.

jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 13

I'm with you. 

When amex and visa sent me new cards with RF antennas I shredded them after requesting cards with chip and no RF.  Then I put them and my bank debit card into Apple Pay. I spend a lot of time in Switzerland and have happily used AP for the last 1-1/2 years, last 12 mos on my Apple Watch. 

AP is so much quicker and safer than any pure card, QR, or Bluetooth based alternatives. 
    edited July 2016 jbdragon
  • Reply 10 of 13

It's certainly possible to to scam someone in a crowded place. But the chances are still very remote of it happening to you. Maximum you will lose is £30. I'm willing to take the chance for the convenience. Same as getting on a plane, I would rather fly and take the risk of it crashing than take a slow boat to my destination.
    But the inconvenience of having to deal with fraud and change a card is a pain. 

The he fraud wouldn't ruin your life because of 0-liability but on a convenience scale of things, would you prefer to fly with a carrier that was often late, or one that was always on time?
    jbdragon
  • Reply 11 of 13
    cnocbui said:

I personally don't care as banks these days make good on pretty much all fraud relating to accounts.

Said every guy ever who wanted to sell such clumsy wallets. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    fzoc said:
    Well in fact it seems that this is not entirely true: I have a Mastercard from "Banque Populaire" and my iPhone says that it is not supported when trying to register. My Wife's Visa from the same bank is Ok.
    that doesnt mean it's not true -- it means there is a problem with your card for some reason. a glitch in the implementation doesnt mean there is no implementation.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Said every guy ever who wanted to sell such clumsy wallets. 
    Somebody who wanted to sell such a wallet would probably do a chicken little on the topic and exaggerate your potential loss.

What is clumsy about such a wallet?  It solves the issue for those who think there is one.