Recent supposed 'iPhone 7' leaks come from common, questionable origin

Posted:
in iPhone
Revelations from China suggest all of the recent alleged "iPhone 7" hardware photos and videos do not show authentic parts, but instead mockups based off of a single design sourced from an alleged Apple manufacturing partner.

Devices shown in recent photos and China-based social media venue Weibo videos appear to have all come from the same source, or possibly the same data source and different manufacturers. The phone casings appear to be "blanks," not containing any active electronics at all.

The comparison video, for the first time in more than the Chinese social media maximum of 320x200 resolution, is from audio manufacturer BeSound and utilized one of these case blanks. AppleInsider was told that the bogus casing was purchased for $150 in China.

The case mockups closely match technical drawings rumored to be of the phone discovered in May, but the revelation that the casings are purchasable casts some doubt on the accuracy of all the photos and leaks that have cropped up recently. However, while the parts may be knock-offs, it's possible the data used to construct the mockups may prove correct.

If the "leaked" casing design is incorrect, however, it wouldn't be the first time. In September 2011, just prior to the release of the iPhone 4s, protective case manufacturers latched onto the idea that the upcoming "iPhone 5" was going to be a teardrop-shaped design. Case manufacturer Hard Candy went so far as to order steel moldings based on leaked 3D models to be first to market with product to protect the upcoming device -- a bet the company ultimately lost.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Revelations from China suggest all of the recent alleged "iPhone 7" hardware photos and videos do not show authentic parts, but instead mockups 
    YOU DON'T SAY.

I don't think anyone took any of the recent posts to be literal iPhone parts. It is a given that anything we see is a recreation based on factual data, not the actual thing.
    Deelronsockrolidmattinoz
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Nobody here, perhaps, but we do get more mainstream media sources looking at rumor posts, and assuming 100% accuracy from China.

Healthy skepticism is worth reiterating from time to time.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    mjhnlmjhnl Posts: 27member
    I hope these ugly mock ups are fake.
    6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 4 of 9
    zer0her0zer0her0 Posts: 24member
    for the first time in more than the Chinese social media maximum of 320x200 resolution
    Where did you get this fact from? I've never heard of this "requirement"...
  • Reply 5 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    The mock up is purple. Isn't that enough of a clue it's not real. 
  • Reply 6 of 9
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    The case mockups closely match technical drawings rumored to be of the phone discovered in May, but the revelation that the casings are purchasable casts some doubt on the accuracy of all the photos and leaks that have cropped up recently. However, while the parts may be knock-offs, it's possible the data used to construct the mockups may prove correct.

So, the photos weren't real, but they could still be accurate? Sounds like someone trying to justify having given them any credence previously.

I've said it before, I won't really believe anything about the iPhone 7 until Tim Cook holds it up on stage.

• Reply 7 of 9
    6Sgoldfish6Sgoldfish Posts: 108member
    So this is our last vestige of hope that these fugly casing 'leaks' are in fact inaccurate?
    mjhnl
  • Reply 8 of 9
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    mjhnl said:
    I hope these ugly mock ups are fake.
    I hope this comment is a mock up.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    So this is our last vestige of hope that these fugly casing 'leaks' are in fact inaccurate?
    This is also my last vestige of hope that you'll bring your design talents to Apple one day.