BlackBerry CEO says Apple's security stance puts company over 'greater good'

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Let see this coming from a guy with a Chinese background, so common public good about you the person has no rights and the government controls everything. Next this is company who was thrown out of countries unless they agree to place they communication servers with in the government boarder so the government could spy on its people. He just piss that apple is getting way with what he could not. Yeah I think the guy is just jealous.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    kennmsr said:

The shooter's iPhone 5c had been prevented from making further iCloud backups after discovery by the FBI, because of a password request made by the city of San Bernardino at the behest of law enforcement. Chen is taking issue with Cook's refusal to order Apple engineers to build and maintain a tool allowing the FBI access to the encrypted iPhone..
    As a retired Test Engineer, Apple does have a way to access the data on iPhones to bypass the lock feature, they have their bed-of-nails test beds used to final test logic boards prior to assembly into a finished iPhone. These test fixtures and associated test software  can be reprogrammed to download memory contents and associated secure enclave and provide that information to law enforcement for them to review and decrypt. This is possible because logic boards have test points used by test engineers to bypass normal inputs and outputs to speed testing of logic portions of the finished product.

Sorry, you are wrong. if you look at the board there are no bed of nail test points. Apple has not use this method of testing for a long time. I personally have not seen this method on high density board in over 10 yrs especially small boards, large backplane type board still have test points. Also the number one rule of an encrypted system is not to have any test points which allows access to any data which is not fully encrypted Apple and other company had move onto imbedded test matrices JTAG that run algorithms to verify things are working.

It was believe that someone on the iphone 5C in question disassemble the memory chip and manually pulled the information. The fact they crack the phone so fast tells me it was not a hardware hack but a software hack.

edited July 2016 netmage
  • Reply 43 of 54
    NemWan said:
    kennmsr said:

The shooter's iPhone 5c had been prevented from making further iCloud backups after discovery by the FBI, because of a password request made by the city of San Bernardino at the behest of law enforcement. Chen is taking issue with Cook's refusal to order Apple engineers to build and maintain a tool allowing the FBI access to the encrypted iPhone..
    As a retired Test Engineer, Apple does have a way to access the data on iPhones to bypass the lock feature, they have their bed-of-nails test beds used to final test logic boards prior to assembly into a finished iPhone. These test fixtures and associated test software  can be reprogrammed to download memory contents and associated secure enclave and provide that information to law enforcement for them to review and decrypt. This is possible because logic boards have test points used by test engineers to bypass normal inputs and outputs to speed testing of logic portions of the finished product.
    Quoting Apple's iOS security guide:

The device’s unique ID (UID) and a device group ID (GID) are AES 256-bit keys fused (UID) or compiled (GID) into the application processor and Secure Enclave during manufacturing. No software or firmware can read them directly; they can see only the results of encryption or decryption operations performed by dedicated AES engines implemented in silicon using the UID or GID as a key. Additionally, the Secure Enclave’s UID and GID can only be used by the AES engine dedicated to the Secure Enclave. The UIDs are unique to each device and are not recorded by Apple or any of its suppliers. The GIDs are common to all processors in a class of devices (for example, all devices using the Apple A8 processor), and are used for non security-critical tasks such as when delivering system software during installation and restore. Integrating these keys into the silicon helps prevent them from being tampered with or bypassed, or accessed outside the AES engine. The UIDs and GIDs are also not available via JTAG or other debugging interfaces. 

The bolded text is the important part. The fuse will blow if anyone attempts to access the device in any way which is not intended under normal operations. A company I work for had a product which used a fuse in its encryption chip and when and if the product was serviced and certain things were done to the product we had to remove the part with the fuse since it would blow during the testing process. We would have to replace the chip then reprogram it before the system would work again. The fuse us armed with the device is program with the embedded encryption key.

Read and learn a bit for people not familiar with the technology

http://chipdesignmag.com/display.php?articleId=5045

This is why apple will be unable to hack a iphone in the future, This is why apple fought so hard, because it would have meant they would have to redesign the phone to remove this technology. The government is upset about this since the fuse idea was developed for encryption systems the US government uses and it being used against them now.

edited July 2016
  • Reply 44 of 54
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    rob53 said:
    kennmsr said:
    Retired Apple test engineer? If not, just because you worked for a company that already had backdoors included in their hardware doesn't mean all hardware can be broken the way you describe. If you did work for Apple, I'd begin looking for a hiding place because anything pertaining to Apple hardware is proprietary and you would have had to sign a legally binding non-disclosure agreement when leaving. 

Prove your point with technical information, not just theory.
    And if he/she refuses to sign that NDA? Put in the Apple prison? I don't think so. Any NDA that Apple wants an employee to sign needs to occur with some sort of enticement such as continued employment, being hired in the first place, or an added departure bonus.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 687member
    The macalope ought to cover this guy...
  • Reply 46 of 54
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Sounds very defensive to me, I don't think people should take his words seriously.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    The Blackberry CEO clearly is clueless about security, IMHO.  
    And possibly a Communist.
    libertyforall
  • Reply 48 of 54
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Just ignore the irrelevant motherfcker!
  • Reply 49 of 54
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    manumqln said:
    Seems like Blackberry CEO is frustrated with their failures and Apple's success
    Right on.
    The BB CEO has been working very hard, but I feel BB has fallen too far behind to survive as an independent phone supplier.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    linkman said:
    rob53 said:
    kennmsr said:
    Retired Apple test engineer? If not, just because you worked for a company that already had backdoors included in their hardware doesn't mean all hardware can be broken the way you describe. If you did work for Apple, I'd begin looking for a hiding place because anything pertaining to Apple hardware is proprietary and you would have had to sign a legally binding non-disclosure agreement when leaving. 

Prove your point with technical information, not just theory.
    And if he/she refuses to sign that NDA? Put in the Apple prison? I don't think so. Any NDA that Apple wants an employee to sign needs to occur with some sort of enticement such as continued employment, being hired in the first place, or an added departure bonus.
    One correct, the bolded text is not true, a company can not make anyone sign an NDA, Confidentially agreement, or non-compete, to maintain employment, if they do it not enforceable. I had a company try this, told them to walk, they then had come back to give me something in exchange to sign i.e. more money or promotion. In my case they never did this up front, some new law firm advised they needed to put these things in place with everyone, which was good idea, and most people just sign and went on their way. The smart one got something out of the deal.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 51 of 54
    starwarsstarwars Posts: 72member
    This puts me worry for him and blackberry, not apple. He runs out of ammo to turn it around. Nothing left, nada.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    kennmsrkennmsr Posts: 100member
    maestro64 said:
    Also the number one rule of an encrypted system is not to have any test points which allows access to any data which is not fully encrypted Apple and other company had move onto imbedded test matrices JTAG that run algorithms to verify things are working.

It was believe that someone on the iphone 5C in question disassemble the memory chip and manually pulled the information. The fact they crack the phone so fast tells me it was not a hardware hack but a software hack.

I thank you for an update on current JTAG test procedures, I left the semiconductor (computer manufacturing) industry when we were dealing with 5" wafers and 2um technologies and as wafers have grown to 12" and 10nm geometries I should have surmised testing would also have evolved as far. I apologize to all the modern engineers by still living and thinking in 20th century.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    vvswarupvvswarup Posts: 336member
    This guy is not making sense. On the one hand, he says he is not in favor of backdoors but on the other hand, he says that companies should help out. The whole point of encryption is to ensure that only those with the right key have access to the information in question and to make it as hard as possible for those without the right key to obtain access. Deliberately introduced weaknesses are contrary to the purpose of encryption.

He sounds like all those other LEOs and other government officials stepping up to the podium to take shots at Apple. No government official wants to be caught on record using the word "backdoor" so instead, they're using nebulous language like "helping" and throwing around the buzzwords-"rapists, terrorists, child molesters, etc." Apple hands over information that is within its capability to provide. There is no other way for Apple to "help" short of being able to provide on-demand decryption. 

• Reply 54 of 54
    The user and all related content has been deleted.