Google at work on Amazon Echo-like voice device codenamed 'Chirp'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I have practically every Apple device known to man in my house or on my person. What if they all could be invoked, Echo-style, at any time? Chances are one or more of them would always be in earshot, so no worries about not being in the "right" room or having to buy multiple Echo devices. How far could Apple be from accessing this functionality? Obviously on an opt-in basis. 

While the following doesn't directly address invoking Apple devices Echo-style -- It shows that Apple is working on networking Apple devices with wireless communication (including cellular).

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/11/apple-aims-to-embed-a-fire-detector-into-future-idevices-macs.html

edited May 2016
  • Reply 22 of 36
    maestro64 said:

I trust Apple a lot, trust Amazon a little less, do not trust Google at all, they do no have a very good track record or respecting people privacy so why would anyone allow Google to listen in on your house. People have to realize the only way the device works it is listening all the time, It looking for certain words, but to find those word it has to process all the words being said.

I was reminded in a meeting yesterday why I do not trust google. A co-work was at home on their personal computer doing some research on a topic which they did not wish to share with people at work, but Google did not care when it through up ads specific to that topic while the person had their work computer connect to a projector and they open a website to share with the group and it had all sorts of ads about the topic. Needless to say the person was a bit embarrassed.  Yeah that is respecting people privacy.

I remember back when I used gmail that if I was arguing with my ex via email I'd start seeing ads for "Is she/he cheating on you?" Google has no class or integrity.
    calicornchiplostkiwibaconstang
  • Reply 23 of 36
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    maestro64 said:

I trust Apple a lot, trust Amazon a little less, do not trust Google at all, they do no have a very good track record or respecting people privacy so why would anyone allow Google to listen in on your house. People have to realize the only way the device works it is listening all the time, It looking for certain words, but to find those word it has to process all the words being said.

I was reminded in a meeting yesterday why I do not trust google. A co-work was at home on their personal computer doing some research on a topic which they did not wish to share with people at work, but Google did not care when it through up ads specific to that topic while the person had their work computer connect to a projector and they open a website to share with the group and it had all sorts of ads about the topic. Needless to say the person was a bit embarrassed.  Yeah that is respecting people privacy.

I remember back when I used gmail that if I was arguing with my ex via email I'd start seeing ads for "Is she/he cheating on you?" Google has no class or integrity.
    ROTFL!
  • Reply 24 of 36
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    redstater said:
    Why on earth would a software company emulate a poorly-selling hardware device when they can come up with a software solution that incorporates hardware that far more people already have? Eh. But that is Google for you ... so few of their ideas actually work.
    The Google spying approaches that do work make them very very rich.
    Google can't stand other spyware taking business from them.   B)

lostkiwibaconstang
  • Reply 25 of 36
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Echo is not available in the UK, and probably not in in the country apart from the USA. Does it work in more than one language, for instance Spanish? What is it about the Echo system that means they can't work in other English speaking countries? 
  • Reply 26 of 36
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    I hope they make the Chirp the same design and look as the Nexus Q.

You guys all remember the Nexus Q right? Right?

...Didn't think so.

All kidding aside, this is the future whether we like it or not. I am willing to bet that nearly all of our appliances will one day have voice recognition of some sort.

"Hey oven, preheat to 350."
    "Hey microwave, cook this on medium for two minutes."
    "Hey blender, make me a banana smoothy."
    "Hey washing machine, why didn't you take care of those blood stains like I told you too?"

EDIT: I can't believe I missed the obvious - "Hey refrigerator... chill out!"
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 27 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This is creepy. Like Eric "The Creep" Schmidt creepy.

imagine using this thing and you hear an NSA agent reply "what was that again?" 
    lostkiwibaconstangbadmonk
  • Reply 28 of 36
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    I'm only surprised Google didn't do it first, let alone take this long. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 29 of 36
    mchumm3rmchumm3r Posts: 17member
    As is commonly said:

...All these agencies don't have to bug people's houses when consumers are more than willing to do it for them
  • Reply 30 of 36
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Good to see Google innovating again /s
  • Reply 31 of 36
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member

Yeah ...

We really want Google (or Amazon, for that matter) listening to everything going on around us ... /s

You'd be surprised how many people are willing to allow Amazon's Echo to listen 24/7 inside their houses.
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/09/internet-of-things-smart-home-devices-government-surveillance-james-clapper
  • Reply 32 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    volcan said:
    gatorguy said:

Until you use the keyword "Alexa" the Echo isn't recording a darn thing. Same with Google Now and "OK Google" ...
    How can you be sure?

Launch Google app and set your phone next to the TV. Switch the channel to a Spanish language station and leave it on all night. Then see if you start getting ads in Spanish the next day. I haven't tried this yet but someone suggested it to me.
    I notice on all my Macs, that all have Liitle Snitch, if it isn't Adobe it's Goofle trying to get my Macs to call in. I wouldn't trust Goofle as far as I could throw Gatorfuy, in fact less.
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 33 of 36
    maestro64 said:

Maestro, your "co-worker" can adjust or even turn off Google's targeted ads by visiting this page: http://www.google.com/settings/ads It's not the super-secret thing you imagine it is, or as hard to opt out of as you've assumed it to be. Links to every shred of information Google has connected to you can be readily found if you just look. 
    edited May 2016 morrolan
  • Reply 34 of 36
    If/when Apple adds "Always on" Siri to your Mac will you turn it off in fear it may be "listening"?
    morrolan
  • Reply 35 of 36
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:

Maestro, your "co-worker" can adjust or even turn off Google's targeted ads by visiting this page: http://www.google.com/settings/ads It's not the super-secret thing you imagine it is, or as hard to opt out of as you've assumed it to be. Links to every shred of information Google has connected to you can be readily found if you just look. 

Yeah only works if you are a Google users, so I am not a Google account holder so they do as they like it even says log into your account to use it across all all browsers and devices and such they track you on. Also all that does is does not show ad based on what they know about, it still does not stop the tracking, Also it still show add and will not allow you to get rid of ad which are not appropriate. Google basically said, we will take away personal ads, but in exchange to for that we will force what we like on you and you can not stop it.

I personally avoid Google so I do not have to worry about it as much. But I still see ads based on website I have visited in the pass which has Google Ads and website told Google I visited them. It is not only Google tracking it is any website who uses Google ads. I know how this stuff works and do the necessary things to stop Google from tracking me specifically, but most people do not have the level of knowledge to combat Google and Google do not care about people individual privacy as the primary rule you have to do all kinds of things to protect your privacy even when you did not sign away your privacy for a free email account.

The fact you assume myself or the co-worked opted in and it is as easy as changing a setting to keep google from outting you show your ignorance of what is going on.

edited July 2016
  • Reply 36 of 36
    maestro64 said:
    gatorguy said:
    maestro64 said:

Yeah only works if you are a Google users, so I am not a Google account holder so they do as they like it even says log into your account to use it across all all browsers and devices and such they track you on. Also all that does is does not show ad based on what they know about, it still does not stop the tracking, Also it still show add and will not allow you to get rid of ad which are not appropriate. Google basically said, we will take away personal ads, but in exchange to for that we will force what we like on you and you can not stop it.

I personally avoid Google so I do not have to worry about it as much. But I still see ads based on website I have visited in the pass which has Google Ads and website told Google I visited them. It is not only Google tracking it is any website who uses Google ads. I know how this stuff works and do the necessary things to stop Google from tracking me specifically, but most people do not have the level of knowledge to combat Google and Google do not care about people individual privacy as the primary rule you have to do all kinds of things to protect your privacy even when you did not sign away your privacy for a free email account.

The fact you assume myself or the co-worked opted in and it is as easy as changing a setting to keep google from outting you show your ignorance of what is going on.

Ignorant? LOL

No, you're assuming "they know who you are" if you've not got a Google account of any type. Heck they don't even know "who" I am, and I have an account and use numerous Google services. Sure they have a name, an address (neither of which is used for advertising purposes), a general location, and a list of devices connected to the account. , But my interests include everything my wife or son searches, along with a smattering of searches friends, or friends of friends, or other family members close and distant have done. I don't bother signing out of Google when I hand my phone or laptop to one of them for a quick look-up or video. Therefor what they "know" isn't me at all.

IMHO it's a ridiculous presumption on your part that Google has any idea "who you are", and even sillier if you believe that advertisers tracking you are all doing so thru Google. If you are seeing targeted ads derived from specific searches that didn't make use of Google services then it's more likely that it's someone else doing that tracking, and that someone else may be much less forthcoming/transparent about what they do, what they know and what they do with it than Google is. 
    edited July 2016