'Apple Car' rollout reportedly delayed until 2021, owing to obstacles in 'Project Titan'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple's rumored electric car won't hit the roads until 2021, owing to various obstacles encountered in "Project Titan," a report claimed on Thursday.

In profiling three brothers who once worked on Apple's Siri team, but now work on Titan, The Information quoted sources as saying that while the company was aiming for a 2020 rollout, problems have forced a delay. Among these is the departure of one-time Titan leader Steve Zadesky in January.

The brothers at the center of the story -- Brian, Kevin, and Michael Sumner -- have reportedly been developing software to capture the tremendous amounts of data Apple cars will generate, and may also be involved in buying and configuring servers for that purpose.

It's speculated that data will be uploaded to Apple servers, allowing the company to evolve autonomous driving technology and boost its accuracy.

The report suggests that Apple will have to dramatically improve its cloud infrastructure if it wants to handle all of the demands of a self-driving car in-house, unlike Tesla, which offloads some data tasks to Amazon Web Services. A single self-driving vehicle can generate anywhere between 2 and 10 gigabytes of data per mile, according to the CEO of DeepMap, a company specializing in mapping technology for self-driving systems.

It's not yet clear, though, if the first-generation "Apple Car" will actually be self-driving. Past reports have indicated that the first model might be semi-autonomous at best, though the company is at least believed to be developing self-driving systems.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 53
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    I don't foresee fully autonomous vehicles in consumer vehicle by 2020-2021 from any vendor. 
    dysamoriacornchip
  • Reply 2 of 53
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    How can anything be delayed if it hasn't been announced?
    BTW, that is one fugly mockup. 
    mike1cintosmelodyof1974irelandnolamacguyradster360creativeoopsanantksundarampropodSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 53
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    thedba said:
    How can anything be delayed if it hasn't been announced?
    BTW, that is one fugly mockup. 
    The rumored car's rumored rollout is rumored to have been delayed.
    And yes, please stop using that horrible rendering.
    cintosmelodyof1974nolamacguymjhnlanantksundaramstanthemandysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 53
    I just hope it looks as good or better then Tesla. Not some wonky bs like the thing they keep showing on this site or the bmw abortion.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    How are the envisioning that vast quantity of data gets from the car to their servers?  Surely not via mobile data?
  • Reply 6 of 53
    cnocbui said:
    How are the envisioning that vast quantity of data gets from the car to their servers?  Surely not via mobile data?
    A 100ft Lightning Cable plugged into the only socket. Also used for charging. 100ft is as far as it goes on a single charge.
    :)

mjhnlcnocbuisingularity
  • Reply 7 of 53
    Apple should just buy Tesla and go from there.
  • Reply 8 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cnocbui said:
    What's wrong with mobile data?  I imagine the car will store the data until it can find a mobile connection. 
  • Reply 9 of 53
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    It's speculated that data will be uploaded to Apple servers, allowing the company to evolve autonomous driving technology and boost its accuracy.
    Whose car's data will they upload to Apple servers... their own R&D cars or consumer-purchased cars?

I didn't expect -- and probably don't want -- all of my driving data going to live on an Apple server. ("Today he visited the following stores:... ")
    cnocbuidysamoriacornchip
  • Reply 10 of 53
    I'd prefer Apple do it right rather than do it first. Worked for them in terms of smartphones and tablets and it's better for us loyal customers. I don't need to be on the bleeding edge.
    delreyjoneslolliverstanthemandysamoria
  • Reply 11 of 53
    bluetombluetom Posts: 3member
    Presumably, as of the publication of this article, the three brothers are no longer working at Apple.
  • Reply 12 of 53
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    markiezyy said:
    why?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 13 of 53
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    markiezyy said:
    why?
    Because he is heavily invested inTesla and wants someone to bail him out.
    lkrupplolliver
  • Reply 14 of 53
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member
    Who and what to believe? A project/product that Apple hasn't announced or exists OR the delay of the the unannounced product where no one knows the timeline. AI, please stop with the click-bait stories
  • Reply 15 of 53
    levi said:
    I don't foresee fully autonomous vehicles in consumer vehicle by 2020-2021 from any vendor. 
    People don't appreciate how hard this will be to get right. Especially city dwellers. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 16 of 53
    mjhnlmjhnl Posts: 27member
    They've technology that defies gravity and working on it to mature. Apple will be the first wheel less car manufacture  :p
  • Reply 17 of 53
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    markiezyy said:
    You should preface it by saying "in my opinion...". I'm not saying you are wrong, but I wouldn't bet against Apple. Tesla are certainly going to influence Apple in the sense of how much ahead they are and Elon's holistic long-term view of battery and solar and car and energy. Especially given Musk's blog post from yesterday.

The reasons I would suggest them not buying Tesla is I doubt it would be culture fit as Tesla is a technology-first culture and Apple is very much a design-first culture. And I could somehow easily see Elon becoming an Apple employee not being a good thing for Apple.

Tesla has a market cap of $35B. Were Apple to try to acquire them their stock would jump to $80-100B. Given that the cultures could clash baldy it could be argued to be a very risky move. In no varient of this reality do I see Apple putting out any of Tesla's existing cars into the market. Therein lies a large problem. 
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 18 of 53
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    yes.. a delay of a myth makes sense.. it's easier to make stuff up and push it back because of delays.. this way.. no one can prove you were wrong! Then when the date gets close.. you just.. "Poof!" aw.. they canceled the project.. sorry everyone.. /sad face
    bulk001dysamoria
  • Reply 19 of 53
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Rayz2016 said:
    cnocbui said:
    What's wrong with mobile data?  I imagine the car will store the data until it can find a mobile connection. 
    Paying for it, the existing infrastructure isn't capable of handling it, what happens where there is no mobile data coverage?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 20 of 53
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Who and what to believe? A project/product that Apple hasn't announced or exists OR the delay of the the unannounced product where no one knows the timeline. AI, please stop with the click-bait stories
    Why do you have to believe anything? Just let the scorekeeping and schedule details roll over you.

Meanwhile, there are sometimes interesting technical pieces of the puzzle to consider. This is the first time I've seen any attention given to the monster data collection and processing problem that autonomous vehicles will present. It's obvious, but it never struck me till now.

And you wanna call this useless clickbait? 
    gatorguycornchip