Liquid ingress warning in iOS 10 beta protects iPhone against water damage

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2016
A new feature discovered in Apple's latest iOS 10 beta warns users when liquid is detected in an iPhone's Lightning port, a handy tool for saving compatible devices from irreversible water damage.

As seen in the clip below, posted to YouTube by EverythingApplePro on Monday, an iPhone 6s running the latest iOS 10 beta throws up a warning message when moisture is detected at the Lightning port, prompting users to disconnect any plugged-in accessories. The alert seems to appear only when Lightning is in use, a logical limitation considering the port remains inactive, and thus safe from a potential short circuit event, until a power cable or accessory is connected.

According to Engadget, which spotted the video on Wednesday, liquid detection is available on newer iPhone models including the 6s and SE lineups. AppleInsider was unable to replicate the warning on an iPhone 6s running iOS 10 beta 2, suggesting the feature is limited to iOS 10 beta 3.

Apple has not released a full list of compatible devices, nor has the company commented on whether or not the feature will remain when iOS 10 ships later this year.

It is unclear how the feature works, though EverythingApplePro proposes iOS 10 activates a dormant liquid sensor installed in iPhone's Lightning connector port. While Apple does own patents for such environmental sensors, it is more probable that the forthcoming operating system detects the presence of water and other conductive liquids by measuring for electrical anomalies or connectivity errors.

That Apple would include a major component in iPhone and leave it unused, or inaccessible to consumers, for most of the handset's life cycle is unlikely. Further, the company installs small color-changing liquid detection tabs in its iOS devices for warranty and repair purposes, not dedicated sensors.

In any case, the feature has the potential to save iOS device owners hundreds of dollars in repairs if and when it launches with iOS 10 this fall.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    What this will do is tell Apple if the phone seen water and some one replaced the water indicators. This message is probably stored in the phone money.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    remereme Posts: 74member

Agreed, this won't help anyone but Apple, sheese, potential to save jack.

jackansi
  • Reply 3 of 13
    sully54sully54 Posts: 108member
    Precursor to a water proof iPhone?
    baconstangchabignolamacguycali
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I had this thing yesterday when I wanted to charge my iPhone 6s in the car. But there was no water even near the phone. I use Apple's mini-usb to lighting adapter to connect to the charger and it was on a hot day with high humidity.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    How does this offer any 'protection'?

Your iPhone is lying at the bottom of the toilet and you can see the warning come up on the screen through the 'water' - how does that protect the phone which may well be about to die?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    cnocbui said:

Your iPhone is lying at the bottom of the toilet and you can see the warning come up on the screen through the 'water' - how does that protect the phone which may well be about to die?
    Okay, let's be realistic instead is listing a scenario that this obviously wasn't meant for. 

The iOS device is already doing this when you insert a lightning connector, now there is just a prompt for it - Lightning already checks for shorts on pins during insertion. There isn't some sort of water censor hidden in there. 

So for realistic example: if you go running in the rain, get home, and then plug your moist phone in, you don't fry the device, cable, or charge block. 

Most likely a precursor for water tight phone! 
    mike1chabignolamacguycalifastasleepDeelron
  • Reply 7 of 13
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Funny how it gives you a choice to ignore the warning.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    nobodyy said:
    cnocbui said:

Okay, let's be realistic instead is listing a scenario that this obviously wasn't meant for. 

The iOS device is already doing this when you insert a lightning connector, now there is just a prompt for it - Lightning already checks for shorts on pins during insertion. There isn't some sort of water censor hidden in there. 

So for realistic example: if you go running in the rain, get home, and then plug your moist phone in, you don't fry the device, cable, or charge block. 

I agree with your statement as a logical reason for this, however, warning they water is present to prevent shorting is too late as soon as you plug in and short out pins the damage is done. Which takes me back to my very first comment on this subject. I believe this is more about Apple knowing the reason your phone may not be working is because you get water in the connector and something shorted out. Hopefully Apple does not use this to enforce their water damage policy. It will open them up to all kinds of complaint and obligatory class action lawsuits.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    maestro64 said:
    nobodyy said:

I agree with your statement as a logical reason for this, however, warning they water is present to prevent shorting is too late as soon as you plug in and short out pins the damage is done. Which takes me back to my very first comment on this subject. I believe this is more about Apple knowing the reason your phone may not be working is because you get water in the connector and something shorted out. Hopefully Apple does not use this to enforce their water damage policy. It will open them up to all kinds of complaint and obligatory class action lawsuits.

No, Lightning is already waiting for a minor short to prevent damage - I wouldn't doubt if Apple changed the wait to a longer poll in the recent line up for water detection. During this time, the phone will disconnect from the accessory. Physically disconnecting allows it to air out and explains why something may not be working (correctly), but not necessarily to prevent minor damage. 

Of course people will suspect alterior motive because they think Apple is evil and money grubbing, but the devices already do this detection and have yet to result in water damage claims. It's simply an error that is now bubbled up to the user. 
    nolamacguyjackansiargonautDeelron
  • Reply 10 of 13
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    maestro64 said:
    nobodyy said:

But is that's what happening, or is Apple's smart connector shutting down, and telling you why, so you'll understand the phone isn't charging, and the port must be dried before you can?
    jackansiDeelron
  • Reply 11 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Sounds like the next iPhone will be waterproof and this update is for OLDER models and reminding people that they are not using a water proof model.(oh wait, all
    the analysts are saying iPhone 7 will be a clone of iPhone 6).

Not sure how people came to the conclusion that this is an Apple money scam?
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 12 of 13
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    So they can spend all this R&D on detecting water and adding code to flag it...but you can't make your damn phone water resistant? Greed. That would cost too much money and eat into their spaceship-building budget.
    edited July 2016 singularity
  • Reply 13 of 13
    fmalloy said:
    So they can spend all this R&D on detecting water and adding code to flag it...but you can't make your damn phone water resistant? Greed. That would cost too much money and eat into their spaceship-building budget.
    Fmalloy I assume this is tounge in cheek/sarcasm? Every indication is the 6s is water resistant to a degree- but Apple chooses to not advertise it- whereas a competitor advertises it, yet there have been complaints it may not be as much as stated (especially to champagne ha).