Apple rumored to launch 'iPhone 7' on week of Sept. 12 [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2016
According to noted industry blogger Evan Blass, Apple is planning to announce its next-generation iPhone lineup at a special event scheduled for the week of Sept. 12, in line with its usual fall launch cycle. [Updated with corrections from Blass]

Blass, whose sources have in the past provided accurate information on upcoming smartphone releases, posted the rumor to Twitter without attribution late Friday. Apple traditionally announces iPhone releases in September -- iPhone 6s debuted last year on Sept. 9 -- so the guess is a safe one.

The release estimate comes days after Blass identified the upcoming devices that will succeed current 4.7- and 5.5-inch iPhone 6s models as code names "Sonora" and "Dos Palos."

Apple is widely expected to announce a next-generation iPhone lineup this fall, though it is unclear if the devices will be marketed as "iPhone 7" or some derivation of "iPhone 6." Unlike past years, the company is rumored to move away from its usual "tick-tock" update strategy in 2016. Instead of a complete design overhaul, Apple is reportedly working to push out iterative changes as it waits for advanced technology to mature.

Supposed "iPhone 7" parts and schematic leaks support the latest industry scuttlebutt, showing only minor aesthetic tweaks like an enlarged iSight camera bump, or a dual-lens shooter for "iPhone 7 Plus," and refined antenna lines. The only major change rumored for 2016 is the deletion of iPhone's 3.5mm headphone jack in favor of a Lightning or wireless audio solution.

Update: Blass later clarified that he means new iPhones will ship to stores and customers the week of the 12th, specifically on Friday, Sept. 16.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Can't wait!!!
    jfc1138redgeminipaDeelronnolamacguy
  • Reply 2 of 17
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    Oh, I don't expect that.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    radiospaceradiospace Posts: 180member
    I am hoping Verizon will offer some sort of upgrade or trade-in deal on my Samsung phone so that my long national nightmare (trying an Android phone) can come to an abrupt end.
    redgeminipaP-DogNCDeelronschlackicoco3
  • Reply 4 of 17
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    In other words they have nothing so expect business as usual?
  • Reply 5 of 17
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Good timing, looking forward to a new iPhone. 
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 6 of 17
    felixerfelixer Posts: 34member
    Expect something. 
  • Reply 7 of 17
    ziggy787ziggy787 Posts: 10member
    I have a 6, which is slightly bent. so I really want to get the new iPhone "7," but not sure if I should wait for the "8," or whatever they will call the next major redesign. BTW ... I think they will call the new phones this fall the iPhone 6 SE and 6 SE Plus.
    schlack
  • Reply 8 of 17
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    ziggy787 said:
    I have a 6, which is slightly bent. so I really want to get the new iPhone "7," but not sure if I should wait for the "8," or whatever they will call the next major redesign. BTW ... I think they will call the new phones this fall the iPhone 6 SE and 6 SE Plus.
    Same boat, but 6 plus

I barely tweaked mine and it's now a WiFi phone for the duration, but I'm actually not mobile much so no bid deal, and after that, it goes to a friend's grandchild as an "iPod".

I was already looking forward to the iPhone 7 Plus for the camera, so the sooner it arrives, the better. I guess that puts me in line for an iPhone 8s Plus two years out.

• Reply 9 of 17
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    mattinoz said:
    what nonsense is this? if by "nothing" you mean the regular awesome improvements to processor, gpu, camera, etc...

only a buffoon equates shell case design changes with improvement.
    tmaynapoleon_phoneaparticoco3
  • Reply 10 of 17
    ziggy787 said:
    my 6 bent as well during its warranty period, front pocket. I exchanged it. 

i doubt they'll name these the SE as well. too confusing. 
  • Reply 11 of 17
    tallguy said:
    That's great but what about updates to the MacBook Pro, Mac Pro and Mac Mini lines?
    what on earth are you talking about? those products have jack to do with the topic of this article. stop whining. 
    Deelron
  • Reply 12 of 17
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    I can see Apple having the keynote and announcing the new products the week of September 12th but actual products going on sale the week after, like September 22nd.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Yawn....
    Wake me up when there is some real news about Mac's.
    For most of us, what we have now (from an iPhone 6 up) is good enough for most use cases (yesh, I know that there are some exceptions which is why I said 'most')
    No Headphone Jack? Well Tim, that's put me off even thinking about upgrading for at least another 18 months.
    So what rabbit will you pull out of the hat in order to get me to open my wallet and spend some money. At the moment, there is nothing that I must have.  Oh, and do something about the Mac Pro. If I can buy a Power 8 system for about the same price as a decently specc'd Pro, why should I even think about spending money on kit that was out of date even before it was relesed.

• Reply 14 of 17
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    I have to assume that the feature is not the lack of a headphone jack. The new feature must be wireless earbuds that come with the phone, right?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Gee, and the contract on my iPhone 6 is up on the 16th of September. What a coincidence!
  • Reply 16 of 17
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    mattinoz said:
    what nonsense is this? if by "nothing" you mean the regular awesome improvements to processor, gpu, camera, etc...

Sorry I meant the blogger/analysis has no specific information but needed a story/note to publish for "reasons" so just predicted Apple would act like Apple does and the iPhone event will be when it is expected anyway. Always helps to site an anonymous source who has been high reliable.

As for the product yes casing don't matter seeing the "everyone"* uses a case these days.
    *Yes I'm not in the everybody group, even had a salesman try to sell me his last pink iPadPro on the grounds that everybody uses a case so whats it matter if it looks awful.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    mattinoz said:

But...but...how will my friends know I have the newest iPhone?!?!  :D