Rumor: Apple's 2016 iPhone will be dubbed the 'iPhone 6SE'

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2016
Without a redesigned chassis, this year's iPhone upgrade won't earn the "iPhone 7" moniker, a new rumor claims, suggesting that the latest model will instead be known as the "iPhone 6SE."

Citing sources in China, Apfelpage.de reported on Monday that Apple has already produced packages with the "iPhone 6SE" name. However, without photos showing the packaging, the new rumor should be taken with a grain of salt.

If the rumor does prove true, the name would be a merging of Apple's current flagship device, the iPhone 6s, and its entry-level handset, the iPhone SE.

Apple typically gives its smartphone a complete redesign every two years, while the in between years are "S" upgrades with mostly internal changes. However, leaked parts and reports strongly suggest this year's handset will look largely the same as the two previous devices, the iPhone 6s and the iPhone 6, breaking the usual cycle.

Rumors have generally referred to the device as an "iPhone 7," following Apple's typical naming conventions and release patterns. But with the 2016 model expected to sport largely the same external appearance as the current iPhone 6s, a full-fledged "7" name may not be representative of how Apple intends to pitch the product.

The new 2016 iPhone is expected to sport a thinner design, ditching the 3.5-millimeter headphone jack, and also removing the antenna lines from the back of the device. It's believed that the larger 5.5-inch "Plus" variant will exclusively feature a dual-lens camera design and 3 gigabytes of RAM, and will potentially have a magnetic Smart Connector on the back for charging.

A proper, complete redesign of the iPhone is said to be in the cards for 2017, celebrating the 10-year-anniversary of the bestselling mobile device. Reports have suggested next year's model will feature an all-glass chassis, as well as an OLED display with components like the FaceTime camera and earpiece integrated into the screen.

For this year's new iPhone, all is expected to be revealed in September, which is Apple's usual launch timeframe for a new handset. It's been suggested that Apple is planning to hold an event the week of Sept. 12 to unveil the device, whether it's known as an "iPhone 6SE," "iPhone 7," or something else entirely.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    I don't really care what name they give it. I'm excited for the upgrade. Improved internals, camera and iOS 10, yes please! Especially now, with the iPhone upgrade program & carrier upgrade options, there really is no reason not to. I currently have the 6 Plus and will upgrading my phone on launch day along with my wife's 6S Plus. 
    latifbpDeelronjfc1138
  • Reply 2 of 43
    Too confusing to the masses imo. Imaging having an i6 an i6s and an i6se. A logistical nightmare if you ask me.
    TurboPGTcalizroger73bb-15
  • Reply 3 of 43
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    supadav03 said:
    I don't really care what name they give it. I'm excited for the upgrade. Improved internals, camera and iOS 10, yes please! Especially now, with the iPhone upgrade program & carrier upgrade options, there really is no reason not to. I currently have the 6 Plus and will upgrading my phone on launch day along with my wife's 6S Plus. 
    With the options now I guess I can understand some people upgrading every year but what's there to be excited about. To me a better camera and next gen processor are just a given that you get in every new phone every year. Not something to really get excited about. The camera on my 6S is good enough so unless iOS 10 is a complete dog on my phone I'll most likely be keeping it.

Sprint just reported a record low device upgrade rate for this past quarter. I think people aren't upgrading their phones as often because there's no really good reason to do so. The phones now are good enough and fast enough for what most people use them for.
    mike1williamlondonnetmagejbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 43
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    iPhone 6 Sorry Everyone (who expected more)
  • Reply 5 of 43
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    I lean more to the simplistic naming convention that Apple applies to all its mac devices. Perhaps just an iPhone and iPhone Pro to go along with the iPhone SE. Really folks, this "5, 6, 7" is going to look ridiculous when the numbers become 12, 13, 14. (..and would they need to skip 13?)
    caliwaverboy
  • Reply 6 of 43
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    The Mac device naming is terrible - trying to
    find out which model is which based on the month it was released is ridiculous. 
    jbdragonclexman
  • Reply 7 of 43
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    Complete bullshit.

The staggering way in which this false narrative about the next iPhone has spread is just ridiculous.

iPhone 7 is not an iterative release to Apple. It only exists that way in the minds of psychologically dysfunctional people who "Need totally different or its not New".
    redraider11pscooter63patchythepirateDeelronanomejfc1138
  • Reply 8 of 43
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    netmage said:
    The Mac device naming is terrible - trying to
    find out which model is which based on the month it was released is ridiculous. 
    Oh come now, it's easy to tell an iMac13,2 from an iMac14,2 from an iMac17,1.  ;)
    tobianclexman
  • Reply 9 of 43
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

supadav03 said:
    With the options now I guess I can understand some people upgrading every year but what's there to be excited about. To me a better camera and next gen processor are just a given that you get in every new phone every year. Not something to really get excited about. The camera on my 6S is good enough so unless iOS 10 is a complete dog on my phone I'll most likely be keeping it.

Sprint just reported a record low device upgrade rate for this past quarter. I think people aren't upgrading their phones as often because there's no really good reason to do so. The phones now are good enough and fast enough for what most people use them for.
    My iPhone 6 is going to be 2 years old, and my wife's iPhone 5, well you get the picture. I'll be upgrading regardless of what it's called, because invariably, it will be an improvement.
    Deelronicoco3jfc1138nolamacguy
  • Reply 10 of 43
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    All these rumors are really just getting dumb. Every year it's a faster processor, better camera, etc. There's already a iPhone with SE, the 4" version. I will say that currently, I have no plans to upgrade my iPhone 6. I like to hold onto my phones a bit and get my money worth out of them. my last phone was a iPhone 4 that I used for over 4 years before getting the iPhone 6. So I plan on going at least a 3rd year with this currant phone unless something really WOW's me enough to upgrade. I'll make up my mind 100% when Apple actually releases REAL INFO. I don't base anything on RUMORS. After using that iPhone 4 for over 4 years, I ended up selling it to T-Mobile for $202. So talking about getting my money worth. Though at that point, it was driving me a bit nuts at how laggy it was at that point. My iPhone 6 still runs just fine. I think it's silly replacing a expensive iPhone every year.
    king editor the grateanomewaverboy
  • Reply 11 of 43
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Early 2016 Rumor:
    new iPhone will be named iPhone 5SE.

Also new iPhone will have ZERO new features because, well, we couldn't think of any.
    TurboPGT
  • Reply 12 of 43
    SylvainLSylvainL Posts: 28member
    I also believe the next iPhone will be named iPhone 6SE.

According to the rumours about the new supposed iPhone 7, there will be only few cosmetic changes so no reason to name it iPhone 7.

Apple will wait for the10th anniversary to launch an all-new iPhone model.

The iPhone SE is a good seller and a success for Apple. They will do the same for the 6 series.

At least, this is what I've published few weeks ago. http://monblogapple.com/articles/aucun-iphone-7-avant-2017-le-prochain-iphone-sera-liphone-6-se/

• Reply 13 of 43
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    If it is true, then it will be interesting to see how Apple sells the name.  Sounds like too much of a mouthful to me.

As to the phone itself, and its rumoured features, please take a few seconds to reflect on who buys the phones.  It is believed that only a very small % have upgraded every year (at least in the last 3-4 years).  Most upgrade every 2-3 years.  I agree that is likely lengthening out now, for a variety of reasons.  So that said, the next phone is not about enticing the iPhone 6s users to upgrade, but iPhone 6 and earlier.

For an iPhone 6 owner, this year's "new phone" is rumoured to have (or expected to have, in terms of also inheriting the 6s feature set):
    4.7" Model
    - Significantly improved rear camera.  12MP, 4K video, live photos to start.  Expect improvements over the 6s in most/all areas.  Possibly obtain the OIS that the 6s Plus has today?
    - Significantly improved front camera.  Selfie flash.  Good reason to expect improvements here.
    - (Finally) higher storage tiers - 32GB for base model, 128GB next tier up.
    - Improved display (True Tone, wider retina colours, reduced reflectivity)
    - 3D Touch (which is more beneficial with IOS 10)
    - Improved audio with lightning headphones, possibly built-in noise cancellation from the phone, higher quality audio.  6s - 4 microphone feature as well.
    - Significant increase in CPU & GPU over the 6.
    - New features enabled with the new silicon - supporting IOS 10 machine learning functionality, Siri functionality,...
    - New low-power Bluetooth, supporting higher bandwidth audio (going along with our improved audio theme)
    - Better battery, stronger aluminum, etc.

For the 5.5" model, in addition to the points above
    - Dual camera with a significant leap in smartphone photos and video.
    - Smart connector enabling new accessories, new charging method.

So, for someone coming from iPhone 6 or earlier (the majority of user base), it is a significant upgrade in all areas.  And we can expect a few surprises that are not "leak-able" from the supply chain.
    tobianradarthekatnolamacguymac fan
  • Reply 14 of 43
    how could the camera and earpiece be integrated into the screen though?
  • Reply 15 of 43
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    SylvainL said:

According to the rumours about the new supposed iPhone 7, there will be only few cosmetic changes so no reason to name it iPhone 7.

Thank you for gift wrapping this repeat of the total nonsense, utterly fabricated narrative about the iPhone 7.
    anome
  • Reply 16 of 43
    how could the camera and earpiece be integrated into the screen though?
  • Reply 17 of 43
    ajmasajmas Posts: 601member
    I actually have a hard time believing this, since to a good number of people the "iPhone SE" is known as the "iPhone 6 SE". Marketing wise this would likely cause confusion, since people would likely be asking why is Apple releasing another phone by the same name?
    edited July 2016 bb-15
  • Reply 18 of 43
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I have bought a new iPhone every single year since 2007. (Hand down the previous year's model to a family member when the new one comes out). If the sum total of then rumors thus far are largely true, this might be the first year that I skip.

Fingers crossed and hoping for something new-fangled and different (e.g., wireless charging).
    lmagoo
  • Reply 19 of 43
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    supadav03 said:

As someone who appreciates technology, how are these upgrades not exciting? Do we really take for granted the work it takes to keep making faster, more powerful, more efficient processors? Do we really just brush aside the possibilities a dual camera could lead to in an iPhone? What awesome apps could be made using that feature? People having been crying about RAM, base storage, battery, and water resistance and breakability of iPhones for years and now they all may be upgraded with this model and it's met with a shrug? I don't get it. I guess Apple has just spoiled people too much. To me, this is as exciting an iPhone launch as I've been a part of (owner since 3GS).
    radarthekatanomenolamacguy
  • Reply 20 of 43
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    That's quite ironic...a month or so ago on one of the Apple rumour sites I put forward the 6SE moniker as a possible name for the upcoming new iPhone. But then took it back thinking if Apple actually did call it that, it would be a marketing disaster! But who knows now?
    edited July 2016 mattinoz