Rumor: Apple's 2016 iPhone will be dubbed the 'iPhone 6SE'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    iPhone SE
    iPhone 6S
    iPhone 6SE

All on sale at once?  Wouldn't be the stupidest name Apple have ever given anything. But it would be stupid.
    Jillxzanantksundaramwaverboy
  • Reply 22 of 43
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    ehtom825 said:
    Too confusing to the masses imo. Imaging having an i6 an i6s and an i6se. A logistical nightmare if you ask me.
    I agree. iPhone, 3, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5C, 5S, 6, 6 Plus, 6S, 6S Plus, SE... Most people can safely assume that a 3 < 4 < 5 < 6, but the GS, S, C, S, Plus, and SE can get confusing for those who haven't been following Apple closely since the first iPhone.

Based on the latest rumors, it looks like I may be keeping my iPhone 6 for a third year That's just as well - it still looks and operates as good as it did when I bought it.
    lmagoo
  • Reply 23 of 43
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    netmage said:
    The Mac device naming is terrible - trying to
    find out which model is which based on the month it was released is ridiculous. 
    Yes, it's much easier to plug "SX7342GXA" into Google, only to find that that was a Japan-only release that was apparently never available where you actually bought it. 

Rolls off the tongue so much more easily too — a name customers can really identify with. 

Seriously: the device name is easily found under the Apple Menu, and if you're annoyed by the "early 2011" naming (which strikes me as eminently human-like), the "17,2" identifiers are easily as clear as any other manufacturers'. 
    edited July 2016 williamlondonDeelronwaverboynolamacguy
  • Reply 24 of 43
    jurassicjurassic Posts: 94member
    It is VERY unlikely that it will be called iPhone 6SE. The 5, 5S, and 5SE look almost identical The 6 and 6S look identical But... This new model is NOT identical to the 6 and 6S. It will be thinner, lose the headphone jack, have stereo (instead of mono) speakers, it will have very different cameras externally including the dual lens camera on the Plus, it will have redesigned antenna lines, and there may be other significant changes that we are not aware of yet. We already know for certain that the iPhone 7 WILL NOT look just like an iPhone 6/6S with only the internal hardware changed.
    Jillxz
  • Reply 25 of 43
    JillxzJillxz Posts: 1member
    I dont believe this .  It would be so confusing. I believe come September there will be an iPhone 7 just as expected.

• Reply 26 of 43
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    The SE has already been used for an updated 4" model.  I don't see them deviating from that naming convention.  Could be next year we just get the iPhone X and skip all the other numbers.  Then, XI, XII, XIII, etc
  • Reply 27 of 43
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    Here's an educated guess: I can't help but wonder about Apple's more recent iPhone strategy.  They released the SE this past spring which was the first off-season phone release in years (ever, if you don't count the shift from summer to fall with the 4S).  They've also planned for this fall's release to have the same chassis as the 6/6S; I would not be surprised at a "6SE" name.  The SE was released to guage demand for a 4" phone, while the 6SE is a bit of a stop-gap before the all new chassis being planned for fall of 2017.  My guess is that since the SE has been pretty successful and beyond Apple's expectations, they will release 3 screen sizes in the fall of 2017, not just the 2 that the 6/6S/6SE come in.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    People (most often Americans) are "book cover crazy". You know the old saying: "You can't tell a book by it's cover". But in technology innovation, people would vote for the book with the prettiest cover. In the 1950's to 1970's people loved their American cars, as long as GM, Ford and the other car companies completely changed the outside style of the car every year, but very little was changed technologically. Those same people sneered at foreign car companies like BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, etc. that kept the outside design of their cars for a few years before changing it, but developed new technologies and improvements inside the cars each year. We are seeing the 1950's mentality with people who only see the metal back of the iPhone 7, without knowing anything about the new technologies or user experience improvements, and reject it and call it "boring" only because the back shell of the iPhone does not look different ENOUGH to them. Intelligent people don't buy the iPhone because the back of it changes radically each year (people like that buy phones form other companies, like Samsung). They buy the iPhone because they are getting the highest quality hardware and software, reliability, support, and the best user experience available. And what is especially ironic about "book cover crazy" people is that once everyone puts a cover on their phone (which most people do to protect their investment) they ALL look alike. The only thing that anyone sees of their phones is the front dark glass that covers everything inside that makes a phone a phone.
    lmagoobanchowaverboynolamacguywilliamlondonicoco3brucemc
  • Reply 29 of 43
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,316member
    The only reason this makes any sense is if Apple is going to refresh and a drop the price on the 6S, instead of just dropping the price.
    Then they still need to launch a New iPhone maybe in stainless steel and create a similar set of tiers as the Apple Watch and Watch Sports.

• Reply 30 of 43
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Regardless of the rumors, I will still be upgrading my 6 to the new phone this year. It is my habit to upgrade my phone every 2 years, so it is given that I will change it this year. I was envious when 6s came out with so much improvements over 6, and I resisted the temptation to upgrade, but not this year. This year I will get my new iPhone and I don't care whatever they name it. :D
    icoco3brucemc
  • Reply 31 of 43
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    There is also a rumour saying this year 2016 iPhone start at $549, $100 cheaper then previous price.
    For those keep saying Apple dont cut price. Think about how much was the first Mac. First iPod. First iPhone. Apple certainly dont do cheap pricing, but they do gradually cut prices when it can. Not to mention iPhone Plus Price and selling volume actually offset some of this.

So the line up will be iPhone SE @ $449, and iPhone 6SE @ $549, iPhone 6SE Plus @ $649. This lineup will do without 6 and 6s.
    6SE model will of coz start with 32GB.

And iPhone SE will get an upgrade next march with 2nd Gen Touch ID and starting with 32GB.  
  • Reply 32 of 43
    clexmanclexman Posts: 209member
    iPhone 6SE, 7 & 7 Plus this year. Three models to choose from. iPhone X (ten) next year.

You heard it here first!
  • Reply 33 of 43
    starwarsstarwars Posts: 72member
    i have suspected this, 2017 marks iphone 10th anniversary and use iphone 7 as its hallmark with new feature, design and look. So this year, will only expect a slight change and not as big.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    saldogsaldog Posts: 48member
    The numbering just needs to stop. Most mobile phones have pretty much peaked, like computers. At least to the point where we don't need to upgrade every year or even every other year. Sure, go ahead and keep improving the phones at whatever interval: processor bumps, camera sensor bumps, memory, whatever. Offer different colors even. Don't need to change the name. Carmakers already know this. This holds true for Samsung phones too. Will Apple make the first move and stop the madness? If they held more market share, they'd do it but they are struggling a bit too much to keep share that they don't want to lose more. Someone has to give the general public a big shake and get them to realize they need to stop expecting giant leaps in mobile phones at every release.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    clexman said:
    iPhone 6SE, 7 & 7 Plus this year. Three models to choose from. iPhone X (ten) next year.

You heard it here first!
    Check out post 26 above...iPhone X
  • Reply 36 of 43
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    jurassic said:
    People (most often Americans) are "book cover crazy". You know the old saying: "You can't tell a book by it's cover". But in technology innovation, people would vote for the book with the prettiest cover. In the 1950's to 1970's people loved their American cars, as long as GM, Ford and the other car companies completely changed the outside style of the car every year, but very little was changed technologically. Those same people sneered at foreign car companies like BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, etc. that kept the outside design of their cars for a few years before changing it, but developed new technologies and improvements inside the cars each year. We are seeing the 1950's mentality with people who only see the metal back of the iPhone 7, without knowing anything about the new technologies or user experience improvements, and reject it and call it "boring" only because the back shell of the iPhone does not look different ENOUGH to them. Intelligent people don't buy the iPhone because the back of it changes radically each year (people like that buy phones form other companies, like Samsung). They buy the iPhone because they are getting the highest quality hardware and software, reliability, support, and the best user experience available. And what is especially ironic about "book cover crazy" people is that once everyone puts a cover on their phone (which most people do to protect their investment) they ALL look alike. The only thing that anyone sees of their phones is the front dark glass that covers everything inside that makes a phone a phone.
    Yep.  Pretty much.  One other point to add - I think many (most) people put a cover on their phone also as decoration.  My wife and teenage kids do.  They change the covers as well just to have something new.

While Apple gets perhaps much of the negativity, this shortening of the hype cycle is everywhere.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

ksec said:
    There is also a rumour saying this year 2016 iPhone start at $549, $100 cheaper then previous price.
    For those keep saying Apple dont cut price. Think about how much was the first Mac. First iPod. First iPhone. Apple certainly dont do cheap pricing, but they do gradually cut prices when it can. Not to mention iPhone Plus Price and selling volume actually offset some of this.

So the line up will be iPhone SE @ $449, and iPhone 6SE @ $549, iPhone 6SE Plus @ $649. This lineup will do without 6 and 6s.

And iPhone SE will get an upgrade next march with 2nd Gen Touch ID and starting with 32GB.  
    I haven't read that rumour, and my feeling is that this will not happen this year (or next).  It probably is in the cards at some point, but I think Apple will still be able to keep the current price points while adding new h/w features - especially this year if they increase the base model storage to 32GB - and next year if there is a significant redesign.  The SE is Apple's "entry point" product and it is reasonable value - but some stats have indicated more are getting the 64GB version at $499, than the entry 16Gb at $399.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ehtom825 said:
    Too confusing to the masses imo. Imaging having an i6 an i6s and an i6se. A logistical nightmare if you ask me.
    Why? Samsung does it all the time and they have utterly destroyed Apple in sales, revenue and profit. I read this on the Internet. /s
  • Reply 39 of 43
    stevnimstevnim Posts: 12member
    So, next year's phone will be the 7-Eleven version (iPhone 7 with iOS 11)…
    icoco3
  • Reply 40 of 43
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    brucemc said:

ksec said:

I haven't read that rumour, and my feeling is that this will not happen this year (or next).  It probably is in the cards at some point, but I think Apple will still be able to keep the current price points while adding new h/w features - especially this year if they increase the base model storage to 32GB - and next year if there is a significant redesign.  The SE is Apple's "entry point" product and it is reasonable value - but some stats have indicated more are getting the 64GB version at $499, than the entry 16Gb at $399.
    Which is the point to decide when is that point? My guess is Apple will milk it for as long as possible. But i am not sure the economy will stay healthy for long. Rumors has it Samsung will start S? with 64GB next year @ $549.

Another way to go around this problem is an Apple hardware subscription model. Aka Apple Upgrade Programme. But that is still still US only.