Supply chain expects 2nd-gen Apple Watch in September or October

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    I love my AW and use it daily for Pay, Maps, Message, etc... but the Watch display case at several Apple retail stores I've visited fequently has no customers around it. Sad.  I'm hopeful that future features -- possibly health related -- will transform this into a true must-have product.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    lkrupp said:
    tht said:
    Waiting impatiently for a 2nd gen Watch device. Hoping for cellular, GPS, more storage, faster, been detection technology for turning the display on. The usual incremental changes. Crossing my fingers.
    And why do people assume that putting GPS and a Cell modem, and all the other crap they want, in such a small device is a piece of cake, a trivial engineering exercise? Why should a smartwatch be able to replace a smartphone in all functions? How big and heavy are people willing for this thing to be anyway? To me the idea of the smartwatch being an adjunct to a smartphone is the better idea. Let the watch be just smart enough to do the everyday things and let the smartphone do the heavy lifting. Do you really want the Safari browser on a tiny screen? Keep the watch small, stylish, fashionable, and just smart enough.
    Nobody is saying it is trivial to do some of these things. And yes, I want it to be the same size or smaller than the current 1st gen Watch with as good or better runtime. The Watch SoC is fabbed at 28 nm. It's got two more nodes to go and has plenty of perf/Watt headroom as it is marches down the fab nodes with every generation.

For your other questions, this is what Phil Schiller has to say about it:

Pressed earlier this year to explain why the world needs another Mac—or any desktop computer, for that matter—Apple’s senior vice president for worldwide product marketing had a ready answer.

As a rule, Philip Schiller told Backchannel’s Steven Levy, you should be using the smallest possible device to do as much work as possible, before going to the next largest gadget in line.
    • “The job of the watch is to do more and more things on your wrist so that you don’t need to pick up your phone as often.”
    • “The job of the phone is to do more and more things such that maybe you don’t need your iPad, and it should be always trying and striving to do that.”

I would like to have cellular + GPS for better fitness tracking for say playing tennis where having the phone with you is not possible. If I'm far away from the phone, I would like to be able to answer calls or messages. I would like to have more storage for playing podcasts and music during some of these activities. Like is done with the phone, podcasts and music can be downloaded to phone while it is plugged in overnight or on WiFi.

propod
  • Reply 23 of 29
    New iPhone - Yawn
    New Watch - Yawn

Come on Apple where are the Mac's? Stop fiddling and get some decent products out. There are people with money to spend if you do a decent job on the upgrades/redesign.
    I got my 2011 17" MBP motherboard replaced (for free - the melting ATI chipset problem) a couple of months ago. Good for another 5 years...plenty fast enough computer.

If Apple came out with another 17" laptop with faster graphics, I might buy. Otherwise, my attention is focused on the tablet/watch/phone space. Maybe a 27" iMac if I can figure out how to stick it in my backpack... ;)
  • Reply 24 of 29
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    New iPhone - Yawn
    New Watch - Yawn

Come on Apple where are the Mac's? Stop fiddling and get some decent products out. There are people with money to spend if you do a decent job on the upgrades/redesign.

You talk as if you are going to buy up all their stocks. 

• Reply 25 of 29
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    New iPhone - Yawn
    New Watch - Yawn

Agreed.
    lkrupp said:
    tht said:
    Waiting impatiently for a 2nd gen Watch device. Hoping for cellular, GPS, more storage, faster, been detection technology for turning the display on. The usual incremental changes. Crossing my fingers.
    And why do people assume that putting GPS and a Cell modem, and all the other crap they want, in such a small device is a piece of cake, a trivial engineering exercise? Why should a smartwatch be able to replace a smartphone in all functions? How big and heavy are people willing for this thing to be anyway? To me the idea of the smartwatch being an adjunct to a smartphone is the better idea. Let the watch be just smart enough to do the everyday things and let the smartphone do the heavy lifting. Do you really want the Safari browser on a tiny screen? Keep the watch small, stylish, fashionable, and just smart enough.
    They used to say the same about cellphones before the iPhone came out. Have a vision. 
    lkrupp said:

New iPhone - Yawn
    New Watch - Yawn

Yawn all you want to. The Mac is yesterday's news. Just sticking a faster processor and a fancier screen, and adding back some legacy ports in a Mac is NOT innovation. Mobile and wearable is where the real money is. Mac and PC sales are declining not because of the lack of innovation. They are declining because people don't need them anymore.
    One could say the same about an iPhone. Going forward, it will find itself in matured market where people no longer feel like they need an upgrade every 2 years.

Plus, as useful as the iPhone/iPad are, they are like a car at a construction site, they have their uses but when real work needs to get done, the 1 ton pickups handle it. Try doing CAD with just your fingers. Work smarter not harder/longer.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 26 of 29

Why is it that on any thread about the iPhone/ iPad/ Apple Watch/ Apple TV there is always someone whining about the Macs? They just derail the thread.

It's not like Tim Cook is getting all worked up and saying "Every thread on AI has posters complaining about the lack of Macs! Quick, get Foxconn to stop the iPhone assembly lines and get them cranking out Macs!".

I can understand the genuine frustration of people who want to buy a new Mac because they need one and do not want to touch a Windows PC with a 100 foot pole, but it's really not helping if you guys complain about it on every thread.

• Reply 27 of 29
    ApplemosApplemos Posts: 15member
    I think the most interesting part of this is to see the effect on the market. As the 1st gen is phased out, will we see an upgrade-cycle from consumers like the iPhone where user either buy every new generation? Or maybe like the iPad where cosumers tend to stick to their current tablet and upgrade to a newer one more seldomly?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    williamh said:
    TurboPGT said:

Because they are fucking stupid. There can be no other explanation.
    Why not expect it from Apple?  That's why they get paid the big bucks.
    Is this really the flip side of the argument...Apple has enough money to figure it out? It doesn't work that way.

I can understand that not all customers are savvy or informed enough to reach their own conclusion about these possibilities, but once you have it explained to you, that should be enough for you. Instead, the come back is, "Bla Bla Bla fuck all that, Apple should figure it out."

There is really nothing left to say to that.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member

mac_128 said:
    eightzero said:
    Just smart enough is the key. it might be doable to have very limited standalone cell/gps functions. A YOOGE ungrade would be to have those functions solely for an emergency use (something that is being expanded in the watchOS 3 due out soon.) Not for having a standalone map or call ability, but a way to call 911 and report your location without an iPhone; or to be found with a FindMyFriends type function. 
    The inclusion of SOS is problematic because customers will expect it to work in situations where they do not have a cell phone with them, or wifi.
    Explain why customers would expect that to work, when absolutely no other aspect of the watch that requires cellular or WiFi works when away from the phone or WiFi?