Apple's Q3 beats expectations with $42.4B in revenue, 40.4M iPhone sales

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    God damn it! I tried to follow WS's pump and dump pattern and sold a portion of my shares last week. That sucks
  • Reply 22 of 36
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    mtbnut said:
    thrang said:
    I like Tim, but can he stop using the word "thrilled" in virtually every call or presentation? Get a thesaurus...
    "Look at the little monkey, don't look at our non-updated products!"
    Put a picture of yourself in your avatar.  I'll look at it.
    latifbpcalibaconstang
  • Reply 23 of 36
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    lkrupp said:
    If you poke around the financial blogs you'll see the spin is about 50/50. Half saying beating the reduced expectations is good news and means Apple stock is okay to buy again. The other half saying the report proves Apple's iPhone business is on trouble. Analysts, gotta love 'em.

Apple Inc. proudly going out of business for 40 years and counting! Any day now, any day.
    I mean... you'd have to be dumber than a stump to think the iPhone business is anything but the best damn business on the planet.
    calibadmonkpatchythepirate
  • Reply 24 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    iPhone sales beat expectations. Stock is up 5% after hours. Once again proving Wall Street cares about one thing and one thing only, how many iPhones Apple sold. If they were dead on or slightly under the stock would probably be down 5% after hours.
    They "care" about beating expectations. All Apple has to do is play that old game of underestimating profits or sales and their stock will once again rise to $130...
    calibadmonkh2p
  • Reply 25 of 36
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

flaneur said:

Stock up almost 7% after hours. I'm noticing a much more positive Tim Cook this quarter than last. Perhaps someone told him its better to be more upbeat on these calls.
    He also slipped in a hint that he has a few wild cards up his sleeve. Something about some great new products in the pipeline.

Again. And he always means it . . .
    Our new product pipeline is filled with light sweet crude from Alaska.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I wonder how much more iPhone SE would have sold had it not been sold out most the time.

baconstanglatifbpbadmonk
  • Reply 27 of 36
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Nobody seems to talk about 19 percent growth in services. Before too long, Apple service will top Googles ads.
    Businesses can and do change.
    IBM was once like Apple, produced great mainframe computer hardware and great software to run on it.

Then starting in the 1970s IBM increasingly got into creating for a fee software.
    Eventually IBM became 50% a software company.

A few years ago IBM finished selling off their PC business; 
      then started using Apple's MacBook computer hardware to develop and sell software.   ;)

So now Apple is getting into services, using their great computer hardware and software.
    badmonk
  • Reply 28 of 36
    Apple has for quite a while done a lot to make their hardware last longer with the consumers. Sometimes I think it's a function of their commitment to environment combined with a drive to really be user friendly behind this. Going 64 bit "early" for example gave each generation ability to be upgraded with a few more generations of iOS. Given that the user base includes everything from those who buy new every year down to kids who get their parents after 3 years of use of course eventually volumes will go down. But maybe also at some point stabilise.
    At this point install base is the key. And so software as well as services. At that point Apple will more than ever rely on all three revenue streams. So - even though today Apple is from a revenue point of view hardware based, I view them as a company creating user satisfaction and value by doing the best thought out eco system.
    Is it there then? Do they have vision there? They are now cought in a trap where service revenue need to grow but some of their services are a bit to expensive to fully take over pure hardware sale. Such as - in my mind - storage for photos in the cloud. Here they also need FTTH with enough symmetrical bandwith to grow so that such services function properly.

tricky but over all they do very good stuff. Buy!
    baconstangbadmonkbrucemc
  • Reply 29 of 36
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    lkrupp said:
    If you poke around the financial blogs you'll see the spin is about 50/50. Half saying beating the reduced expectations is good news and means Apple stock is okay to buy again. The other half saying the report proves Apple's iPhone business is on trouble. Analysts, gotta love 'em.

Apple Inc. proudly going out of business for 40 years and counting! Any day now, any day.
    They are just nervous.  It takes a lot of work to hold down a stock price to provide cover for their paymaster's short positions.
    palomine
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Based on Tim's comments about iPhone SE it's pretty clear that people were looking for a cheaper iPhone. Apple got more first time smartphone buyers and more switchers than ever. I'll bet the 5C would have been more of a success if it hit the price point of the SE.
    or many still want a decent spec 4" phone. I don't think it was about the price, the SE is a real bargain at it's current price point however.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    cali said:
    I wonder how much more iPhone SE would have sold had it not been sold out most the time.

People always ask this question...it's been out for 5 months now, I doubt that anyone that wanted to buy one in the last 5 months has been unable to.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    adm1 said:
    Based on Tim's comments about iPhone SE it's pretty clear that people were looking for a cheaper iPhone. Apple got more first time smartphone buyers and more switchers than ever. I'll bet the 5C would have been more of a success if it hit the price point of the SE.
    or many still want a decent spec 4" phone. I don't think it was about the price, the SE is a real bargain at it's current price point however.
    A bit of both (many people do want a very pocketable phone), but my view is the price is the biggest factor.  Vast majority of phones are now purchased outright (including instalment plans), vs. subsidized with the mobile plan, so that upfront price is important to many.  Especially those that come from other platforms, where perhaps price is the reason they went with that platform.

I think Apple hit a good compromise with the SE, that still will net them the most dollars they can.
    - "Flagship" products in the holiday season, the larger 4.7"/5.5" models, with all the bells & whistles.  Those who want latest, or want the larger phones (most) will pay the higher prices for those.
    - 4" model with many of those features about 6 months later, for a much more aggressive price.
    - This pulls in the most out of the high-end, without much cannibalization, and reaches into the top part of the mid-tier.
    - Gives something to announce in spring

Hopefully, they keep this moving forward.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    flaneur said:

Stock up almost 7% after hours. I'm noticing a much more positive Tim Cook this quarter than last. Perhaps someone told him its better to be more upbeat on these calls.
    He also slipped in a hint that he has a few wild cards up his sleeve. Something about some great new products in the pipeline.

Seriously, what great new products? Apple's MO is taking an existing product and reimagining it. What piece of CE currently exists that's needs reimagining, or reinventing? 
  • Reply 34 of 36
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    TurboPGT said:
    lkrupp said:

I mean... you'd have to be dumber than a stump to think the iPhone business is anything but the best damn business on the planet.
    But for how long? What happened to the previous 'damn best business on the planet' before the iPhone? 
  • Reply 35 of 36
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    flaneur said:

Seriously, what great new products? Apple's MO is taking an existing product and reimagining it. What piece of CE currently exists that's needs reimagining, or reinventing? 
    To qualify as an "incredible" Tim Cook product in the current context, they would only need whatever breakthrough they've been waiting for to produce, say, a 5K Cinema Display and an upgraded Mac Pro to go with it. Or, the already-rumored Macbook Pro would also do, plus some refinements to the new phones or iPads that we haven't thought of or heard rumored.

it's too soon, IMO, for their AR/stereo video glasses.

• Reply 36 of 36
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    jungmark said:
    Not surprising. The upgrade from the 5S to the 6 was huge! From the 6 to the 6S, not so much. I think the 6S to 7 will be at least flat. 
    I call this BS. The upgrade from 6 to 6S is HUGE. If you think from 6S to 7 will be flat, at best I think you are delusional.