Apple holds onto second place in slightly increased global smartphone market

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's 40.4 million iPhones shipped during the June quarter -- a 15 percent decline year-over-year -- were still enough to keep it in second place in the worldwide smartphone market, which reversed recent trends and grew "modestly," according to research firm Canalys.

Apple didn't see much benefit from the launch of the iPhone SE in late March, which also made little headway in the company's nascent Chinese and Indian markets, commented Canalys' Rushabh Doshi. The analyst blamed the relatively high price of the SE, which while less expensive than the iPhone 6s still starts at $399 in the U.S. In India, many phones sold cost less than $150.

"Consumers instead opted for local vendors, whose build quality and specifications are a better value alternative," Doshi added. China in particular is home to several rising smartphone makers such as Huawei, Xiaomi, and Oppo.

Huawei in fact claimed third place in the smartphone market, selling approximately 31 million phones as it did well in China and expanded its footprint overseas. The company doesn't have much presence in the U.S., although it does make the Google-branded Nexus 6P.

Samsung came out on top, selling about 80 million units worldwide. Canalys' Tim Coulling noted that the company benefited from Gear VR bundles, which for instance saw the headset offered for free with Galaxy S7 preorders. The S7 has sold well as a rule however, and its success along with a shift away from low-end phones has reportedly increased Samsung's average selling price.

On Tuesday, Apple executives claimed that the iPhone SE is "popular in both developed and emerging markets," and that sales have outstripped supply.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Yet another stupid report comparing sales of junk phones at $100 to the iPhone.
    yojimbo007waverboylolliverration al
  • Reply 2 of 13
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Units sold is nice for Samsung.

Profits on total units sold, maybe not so much.
    TurboPGTwaverboylolliverration al
  • Reply 3 of 13
    There's no reason to chase share in the third world. Keep it aspirational. 
    ration al
  • Reply 4 of 13
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    "Consumers instead opted for local vendors, whose build quality and specifications are a better value alternative,". Hahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahaha
    lolliverration albadmonkpscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 13
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Yet another stupid report comparing sales of junk phones at $100 to the iPhone.
    ANALsys have not clue what they are doing especially Indian ones, they treat everything in the world as having equal value. They Comparing a BMW to Yugo, yes they are both cars and get you from point A to B, but which one will get you their the fastest and not kill you has no value in a country like India.
    poksi said:
    "Consumers instead opted for local vendors, whose build quality and specifications are a better value alternative,". Hahhahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahaha
    Yeah they are cheap and buy the cheapest thing they can independent on quality or specifications. I am so tire of this whole conversation about Apple need to make a cheap product for cheap people. How about India figure out how to raise wages so they can actually afford good quality products. China figure it out.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    That's why they are called emerging markets. It is a given that whatever they are used to buying, its not premium products. There is no where for them to go but up. 
    Apple can take its time building up interest in those countries.
    The iPhone SE at $399 USD is still very high end for India and China. But its not Apple that has to come down to them. They will, over time, come up to meet Apple. Apple just needs to have something that is within reach. The iPhone SE fits that bill.
    lollivernostrathomas
  • Reply 7 of 13
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    There's no reason to chase share in the third world. Keep it aspirational. 
    Apple long ago figured out something that the "general" tech industry has not, in order to differentiate from the hoards - you have to carefully build a brand that will draw people in, and it takes years (decades) to do it.  Sony used to have it back in the late 70's and 80's, but since then (to my knowledge), only Apple has tried to build & maintain a quality, aspirational brand in tech.  Which might be why Apple has either the #1, or close to it, brand value around the globe these last few years.

This is why Apple did not follow the cheap Netbook craze, have not followed the cheap smartphone perceived wisdom, and are unlikely to go for "cheap anything" anytime in the intermediate future.  And it is why Apple will stay on top.
    lolliverration al
  • Reply 8 of 13
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    This ain't 2010-2012 anymore guys! The reality is that apple isn't and won;t ever sell as many iPhones as they used to. I've been using iPhones since 2008 but considering getting another phone. I had a 5s that died on me 7-8 months after buying and a 6S plus that died in less then 5 months. Unacceptable considering how expensive these phones are. Just out of curiosity couple of days ago I held a beaten up Note 3 in my hand. Can't believe this is a 3 years old freakin phone that looks great, high resolution screen that covers most front of the phone without wasting real estate around like the iPhones, good feel in the hand pretty fast, 3 GB of ram, widgets, customization etc. The chinese also are making pretty decent phones for much less not to mention samy who's making those gorgeous ones. This is not $900 vs $100 or BMW vs crap comparison as some have suggested around here without even holding one of those 'cheap' phones in their hand. 
    cnocbui
  • Reply 9 of 13
    johnbear said:
    This ain't 2010-2012 anymore guys! The reality is that apple isn't and won;t ever sell as many iPhones as they used to. I've been using iPhones since 2008 but considering getting another phone. I had a 5s that died on me 7-8 months after buying and a 6S plus that died in less then 5 months. Unacceptable considering how expensive these phones are. Just out of curiosity couple of days ago I held a beaten up Note 3 in my hand. Can't believe this is a 3 years old freakin phone that looks great, high resolution screen that covers most front of the phone without wasting real estate around like the iPhones, good feel in the hand pretty fast, 3 GB of ram, widgets, customization etc. The chinese also are making pretty decent phones for much less not to mention samy who's making those gorgeous ones. This is not $900 vs $100 or BMW vs crap comparison as some have suggested around here without even holding one of those 'cheap' phones in their hand. 

I'm happy for you. It's good to move on.
    stantheman
  • Reply 10 of 13
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    johnbear said:

I presume you just took your faulty iPhones to your nearest Apple shop for a replacement unit.  Where would you go about getting your cheap Chinese copies replaced?
    stantheman
  • Reply 11 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    steveh said:
    Units sold is nice for Samsung.

Profits on total units sold, maybe not so much.
    From another Apple blog site discussing Samsung's quarterly results released today:
    http://goo.gl/qolOcE
    "Year-on-year revenue was up 5% at 50.94T won ($45.2B), with profit up 18% to 8.14T won ($7.2B). The company credited strong sales of its flagship Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge for the turnaround, with the edge model accounting for more than half of S7 sales."

In the details you find about a little over $3.8B US of those profits came from their mobile segment. So yeah, not nearly as much as Apple's incredible profits but still fairly impressive for most anyone else isn't it? $Billions are still $Billions, tho the profit from each handset averages out at shy of $50 if I figured correctly. That's not nearly as impressive when you look at it that way. 

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-announces-2016-second-quarter-results
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 12 of 13
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    crosslad said:
    johnbear said:

I presume you just took your faulty iPhones to your nearest Apple shop for a replacement unit.  Where would you go about getting your cheap Chinese copies replaced?
    The 5s was replaced in 20 min. in a different location while traveling, however the 6S plus was a pain in the back. Here's the story:

Had to drive 3 hours one way to bring a dead iPhone 6S Plus 64 to the store for replacement under warranty. After repeated testings in front of me clearly showing the phone was dead, and one of the 'geniuses' telling me that they will give me a replacement on the spot, I was told that actually the phone needs to be sent to a different place for further testing for about a week. The manager was a total a$sh@le unable to give me a reason as to why I'm not getting a replacement phone right away.

A loaner was offered that was inadequate and so I ended up paying full price for a a new phone of the exact color and specs as my dead phone hoping that I might be able to keep it and get refunded when the dead phone would be due a replacement, and avoid all the hassle of driving and spending time seeing up the phone. Turns out that was not the case and so 5 days later I had to drive again 3 hours one way to return a new phone and get another new phone in return for my dead phone, ridiculous. Not to mention hours of wasted time on the phone with different apple care staff.

To make things worse, after receiving my replacement phone I realized it came with the samsung chip known to heat up and drain battery faster then the one with the TSMC version of the chip which I purchased! After wasting more time arguing with a technician and another 'manager' I decided to give up and go drive another 3 hours home with an inferior replacement phone for which I paid $1000 when originally purchased. The difference in battery life was  roughly 12-13 hours with moderate use and setup as new phones. (that's being generous, in fact I barely got 24hours of the phone wth the samy chip while the one with TSMC chip lasted 37 hours in similar conditions)

I would never recommend anyone the Apple store in Oakbrook IL, horrible service!! I have been an iPhone user since 2008 but I am seriously considering my next phone something other than apple. 

edited July 2016