Rumor: Apple to adopt USB Type-C in another upcoming MacBook, whether it's Pro or Air

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    GymkhanaGymkhana Posts: 45member
    Now, I know that Timmy has told us that an iPad is all he needs for his "real work", but the rest of us who actually do "real work" with our technology want to see a 32gb system memory option for the MacBook Pro 15".
    tallguyk2kw
  • Reply 22 of 61
    At this point it could have RJ-11 jacks for all I care, just release a pro ASAP. Some of us have kids to send to college, and I am not buying a 500 day old machine for my daughters first day of astrophysics and programming. Come on Apple.
    i really don't understand all the MBP hate. I'm a professional dev, running a Windows virtual machine running SQL Server and Visual Studio on my 2014 rMBP -- works great. flies. I don't experience any slowdowns or build problems or anything. even do some 3D renders for box shots. 

your kid won't have any problems coding on whatever rMBP you get her. 
    I am not sure how this is hate. I prefer to buy recent machines, because it means they tend to last longer before they are out dated. I tend to keep computers 6-8 years. Why spend thousands on a computer that is already 15 months old when you open the box? 

This is is simply a question of timing. They will have a new MBP. It would be nice, and intelligent from a marketing and sales stand point, to release before one of the biggest reasons to buy one, i.e. The start of college. Is that really difficult to understand?
    cnocbuitallguyelijahg
  • Reply 23 of 61
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    schlack said:

Loss of MagSafe is a huge loss and surprising. Couldn't they have created a magnetic USB-C nub that would fit into a USB-C port and allow a magnetic cable to connect to it?
    The trend is charge at home, use all day on the go. Previously people would plug in wherever they were making it much more likely that someone would trip over the cord. Now you just work off the battery. When your battery dies, it is time to go home.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 61
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    wozwoz said:
    You can't run power and ethernet on the 12 inch Macbook AT THE SAME TIME -- and Apple doesn't even make an adaptor that allows one to do this -- , so it is pretty useless machine if you want your computer connected, say in the kitchen, or on your desk.  One is better off with the 13inch Macbook Air which allows for Ethernet and power at the same time ... these are the basics of computing ... especially if you don't want to needlessly radiate your brain with wi-fi radiation.
    https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/usb-c/owc/usb-c-dock
    http://www.hydradock.com
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kickshark/hydradock-11-port-usb-c-dock-for-apple-macbook/description
    Dell also makes one.
    And probably a number of others.

plus of course all the USB-only adapters that will charge your machine and work just fine with the USB to Ethernet adapter.
    edited July 2016 ration alwilliamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 61
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    volcan said:
    schlack said:

Loss of MagSafe is a huge loss and surprising. Couldn't they have created a magnetic USB-C nub that would fit into a USB-C port and allow a magnetic cable to connect to it?
    The trend is charge at home, use all day on the go. Previously people would plug in wherever they were making it much more likely that someone would trip over the cord. Now you just work off the battery. When your battery dies, it is time to go home.
    The capacity of the battery of my 2.5 year old Macbook Air has dropped to 6 hours computing intensive work: good enough to work, but no longer good enough the whole day on a battery.  I assume there will be a similar behaviour with the Macbook, when it reaches that age.
    tallguy
  • Reply 26 of 61
    wozwoz said:

... especially if you don't want to needlessly radiate your brain with wi-fi radiation.
    Non-ionizing radiation is not harmful to living organisms. There is probably more radiation coming from your TV than from a WiFi router. A more serious danger to your brain is watching cat videos online.
    edited July 2016 chiastevehtallguytallest skil
  • Reply 27 of 61
    cropr said:

The capacity of the battery of my 2.5 year old Macbook Air has dropped to 6 hours computing intensive work: good enough to work, but no longer good enough the whole day on a battery.  I assume there will be a similar behaviour with the Macbook, when it reaches that age.
    I have a 2.5 year old MBP and although I don't use it intensely, the battery lasts a long time. Supposedly you should run the battery down to at least 50% before charging it again which is why I suggested that you should not plug it in at every opportunity. Another factor is temperature. Don't leave your computer in a hot environment such as a car during the summer. That can cause damage to the battery. Also charging your machine in a hot environment can further damage the battery.
    ration alwilliamlondon
  • Reply 28 of 61
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    i really don't understand all the MBP hate. I'm a professional dev, running a Windows virtual machine running SQL Server and Visual Studio on my 2014 rMBP -- works great. flies. I don't experience any slowdowns or build problems or anything. even do some 3D renders for box shots. 

your kid won't have any problems coding on whatever rMBP you get her. 
    I am not sure how this is hate. I prefer to buy recent machines, because it means they tend to last longer before they are out dated. I tend to keep computers 6-8 years. Why spend thousands on a computer that is already 15 months old when you open the box? 

This is is simply a question of timing. They will have a new MBP. It would be nice, and intelligent from a marketing and sales stand point, to release before one of the biggest reasons to buy one, i.e. The start of college. Is that really difficult to understand?
    you conflating two points -- something newer coming out after you buy something else, vs performance (your original complaint suggested your daughter wouldnt be able to do her programming on today's MBP). if you're worried about something newer coming out after you buy one today i can't help you -- theres always something newer coming out. but if its actual concern about her needing tools and she needs it now, theres absolutely no good reason to wait or complain that today's MBs don't have enough power to enable her to do her programming coursework. they do. in fact almost any MB Air/Pro is going to be fine for a student's needs.
    edited July 2016 ration alRayz2016williamlondon
  • Reply 29 of 61
    nolamacguy said:

theres always something newer coming out. 
    So true! People say they are waiting for the latest model to come out, all the while denying themselves of the enjoyment of having and using the current technology. I'm going to put off buying a new car until they release the flying hovercraft model.
    edited July 2016 Rayz2016williamlondon
  • Reply 30 of 61
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    spheric said:.

plus of course all the USB-only adapters that will charge your machine and work just fine with the USB to Ethernet adapter.
    And don't forget Lightning. They'll likely add that after the 3.5mm Jack is dropped on the iPhone.

i really don't see a problem here. I doubt the MB Air will get a redesign, instead it will probably get one final logic board upgrade like the 13" 2012 MBP, and then keep it around for several more years until the the rMB can meet the same price point. That 2012 MBP added USB 3.0 and SATA III support, and a few other things  that make it a pretty useful low end Mac still. Replacing even one USB-A port, or even the MagSafe port with USB-C makes perfect sense, in much the same way the iPad 4 was Essentially an iPad 3 with a Lightning port. 

But I wouldn't expect to see this spec bumped MBA until the new MBP is released. In fact, I'd look for the MBA update to happen after the 3.5mm Jack is removed from the iPhone and the Lightning jack is added as well -- one final upgrade before its discontinued.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    tallguytallguy Posts: 9member
    volcan said:
    nolamacguy said:

So true! People say they are waiting for the latest model to come out, all the while denying themselves of the enjoyment of having and using the current technology. I'm going to put off buying a new car until they release the flying hovercraft model.
    The MBP 15'' with it's 3 year old Intel processor isn't exactly ''current'' technology.
    Butidonttweetelijahg
  • Reply 32 of 61
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    mac_128 said:
    spheric said:.

And don't forget Lightning. They'll likely add that after the 3.5mm Jack is dropped on the iPhone.

i really don't see a problem here. I doubt the MB Air will get a redesign, instead it will probably get one final logic board upgrade like the 13" 2012 MBP, and then keep it around for several more years until the the rMB can meet the same price point. That 2012 MBP added USB 3.0 and SATA III support, and a few other things  that make it a pretty useful low end Mac still.
    I highly doubt the Air will get any upgrade at all.  I think if it were to happen, Apple would have done it by now.  Instead, Apple just made 8GB standard on the 13".  I do agree it will remain in the inventory for a while, but without any updates.

Moreover, unlike the legacy 13" MBP, which has several ports that are still relevant today, I think the Air will die off quicker once USB-C takes over.  I think it will be seen largely as defunct in a year or two, what with a non-retina screen, old ports, and a relatively old processor, and sales will die off quicker for it than they have for the legacy Pro.
  • Reply 33 of 61
    toddzrxtoddzrx Posts: 254member
    Stop this quest for thinness Apple. There are more important things that we consider as USP's for our next purchase of PRO laptops.

Magsafe is a great differenciator from the Bog Standard Windows Laptops.
    Give me back an RJ45 port.
    Ok, give me USB-C but keep at least one USB3 port and at least one Thundebolt 2 port.

Why all this?

We hate having to carry around frigging adapters everywhere we go.

Keep in mind: one of the main advantages of USB-C, among many, is to eliminate the need for adapters completely.  Obviously we'll need adapters for legacy USB-A for a while, but once USB-C is universal, like USB-A is now, we'll literally have one port that accommodates multiple functions.  I don't buy into new tech for the sake of new tech, but USB-C does bring a lot of advantages that I think will be worth the cost of changing to it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 34 of 61

you conflating two points -- something newer coming out after you buy something else, vs performance (your original complaint suggested your daughter wouldnt be able to do her programming on today's MBP). if you're worried about something newer coming out after you buy one today i can't help you -- theres always something newer coming out. but if its actual concern about her needing tools and she needs it now, theres absolutely no good reason to wait or complain that today's MBs don't have enough power to enable her to do her programming coursework. they do. in fact almost any MB Air/Pro is going to be fine for a student's needs.
    No, I didn't suggest that she couldn't use a current model. I suggested that I would like her to have a newer model since I am paying for it and want it to last. 

Nor or am I concerned that a newer model will come out after purchase. I am well aware of the fact that there is always something newer. And I prefer to buy when a new model comes out to extend that useful life. 

Again, I explained this pretty clearly, and you are putting words and reasons into the post that I didn't write. Nor is this "hate" as you claimed before. This is simply a person who is in the market for a laptop hoping a new model comes out before the buying window closes. 

Maybe be you try reading what you respond to rather than responding to a strawman?
    elijahgcnocbui
  • Reply 35 of 61

volcan said:
    nolamacguy said:

If you are in the market for a car, and new models are generally released in a particular month, would you buy just days before that so you could have that extra week of "enjoyment"? Or would you find enough patience to wait a week or two and see what the new model has before deciding?

• Reply 36 of 61
    wizard69 said:
    Yeah that is what I've been thinking.    Read the headline and said no fooling.  

As as for the Mac Book Air/Pro discussion I don't get it really.   Apple needs the Air due to the crippled nature of the Mac Book and its high costs.   If there is any sense left with the management team at Apple they will come out with a new Mac Book Air and do so at a lower price point.  
    This makes no sense. Updating the Air line is stupid. The only reason for the Air right now is to meet an entry level price point. If anything needs updating its the Retina MacBook Pro and the Mac mini.
    The Air is Apple's best-selling laptop. Thus, updating it is far from stupid.
    tallguywozwoz
  • Reply 37 of 61

tallguy said:
    volcan said:
    The MBP 15'' with it's 3 year old Intel processor isn't exactly ''current'' technology.
    But you are denying yourself the joy of that 3 year old CPU while you expect a new model of something currently longer between refreshes than any other time in the past!
  • Reply 38 of 61
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    volcan said:
    nolamacguy said:

This has been my problem, although it is somewhat mitigated by currency exchange rates. (I was just about ready to buy a high-end rMBP15", and the price shot up 20% - and even modifying a 13" or the low-end 15" to what I want gets it within shouting distance of there.)

I really don't have any choice, anymore. I'm going to have to buy one soon. Fortunately, my need is not immediate, so I can wait until the new versions are released.

• Reply 39 of 61
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This makes no sense. Updating the Air line is stupid. The only reason for the Air right now is to meet an entry level price point. If anything needs updating its the Retina MacBook Pro and the Mac mini.
    The Air is Apple's best-selling laptop. Thus, updating it is far from stupid.
    But it's obvious the Air is being phased out. There is no point in having the MB, MBA and MBP in the lineup. Especially when the MBP is due for a redesign anyway.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 40 of 61
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Of course future Macs will have USB-C/ tb3. The question is whether they're gonna launch something exciting using the bandwidth at the same time. iPad Pro as a full resolution Mac tablet? A 5K display? An external multi core cpu expansion for professionals? Anything?
    tallguy