Apple has sold more than 1 billion iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2016
Apple CEO Tim Cook at an employee meeting on Wednesday said the company recently sold its one billionth iPhone, a watershed moment for the popular smartphone.

Cook told employees gathered at Apple's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters that the billionth unit was sold sometime last week.

"Last week we passed another major milestone when we sold the billionth iPhone," Cook said. "We never set out to make the most, but we've always set out to make the best products that make a difference. Thank you to everyone at Apple for helping change the world every day."

Late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs introduced the world to iPhone in 2007. At launch, the unassuming candybar smartphone was touted as a communication device, mobile web browser and iPod -- then Apple's bread-band-butter product -- wrapped up in a single package. Since then, iPhone has improved through nine iterations and four major redesigns to become one of best-selling handsets on the market. Not coincidentally, the device now accounts for a lion's share of Apple's profits.

The news comes a day after Apple announced tepid sequential iPhone sales growth for the third fiscal quarter of 2016. While iPhone sales saw another year-over-year contraction, the company posted $42.4 billion in revenue and quarterly net income of $7.8 billion, beating Wall Street expectations.

Looking ahead, Apple is widely expected to introduce a next-generation iPhone model at a special event this fall. Rumors and parts leaks suggest this year's update will come with minor tweaks to the existing iPhone 6 series design, the biggest modifications being a 3.5mm headphone jack deletion and a dual-camera setup for the 5.5-inch model. The most recent rumblings say "iPhone 7" -- or "iPhone 6SE -- will replace the traditional push-button home button with a capacitive Force Touch version, though evidence backing up those claims has yet to surface.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Strange... Why didn't he mention that at the conferance call ?
    drunkzombie
  • Reply 2 of 27
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Strange... Why didn't he mention that at the conferance call ?
    Maybe the number had been confirmed just before the employee meeting?
    netmage
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Steve would have done something for the person that bought it.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    bdkennedy said:
    And?
    ronnmacxpress
  • Reply 5 of 27
    danvdrdanvdr Posts: 25member
    bdkennedy said:
    Multiple countries, hundreds of stores + online sales. Kind of hard to say who actually got #1,000,000,000.
    albegarcSolirealjustinlongmike1jfc1138ai46lolliverDeelronbrucemcnolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Apple will never make a phone and anyone who thinks so is crazy.
    macxpressmike1ronnwelshdogpalominelolliverDeelronSpamSandwichfotoformatanantksundaram
  • Reply 7 of 27
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    bdkennedy said:
    The person that bought it did get something special. An iPhone. 
    jfc1138ronnai46welshdoglolliverkevin keeDeelronpscooter63nolamacguyapres587
  • Reply 8 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    bdkennedy said:

How the hell do you know what Steve would have done? I'm sick of these well if Steve were here, Apple would do this, or Steve would have done this. Steve isn't here anymore...give it a rest already! Steve isn't god and isn't everything some people made him up to be. 
    mike1ronnai46anomelolliverkevin keeDeelronbrucemcmnbob1netmage
  • Reply 9 of 27
    bdkennedy said:
    "...the billionth unit was sold sometime last week..." 
    This isn't modeled after iTunes giveaways or a competition where some wizard at some computer watches each iPhone sale made in all time zones in all parts of the world and notifies corporate when they reach a number.  
    I still wonder how a person can agonize over S. Jobs  and feel clairvoyant enough to channel a dead man's thoughts and never exercised actions. Or maybe some one is retired and it gives hope to get through the day, though an insult to the judgement of the person who selected Cook to manage Apple.

ronnlkruppai46lolliverDeelronnetmagecali
  • Reply 10 of 27
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,065member
    macxpress said:
    bdkennedy said:

How the hell do you know what Steve would have done? I'm sick of these well if Steve were here, Apple would do this, or Steve would have done this. Steve isn't here anymore...give it a rest already! Steve isn't god and isn't everything some people made him up to be. 
    Steve would have replied to that.
    kevdrexradarthekatilyoeshinParalysisrare commentphotography guycali
  • Reply 11 of 27
    ronmgronmg Posts: 163member
    LOL, eightzero. Thanks for the laugh.
    eightzerocali
  • Reply 12 of 27
    macxpress said:
    bdkennedy said:

Apple might be owned by Dell or Microsoft or may not even exist today at all if it weren't for Steve Jobs. So there is that.

• Reply 13 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Paralysis said:
    macxpress said:

Apple might be owned by Dell or Microsoft or may not even exist today at all if it weren't for Steve Jobs. So there is that.

So what does that have to do with anything? Steve is gone and people need to give up on this Steve would have done this, or Apple would have done this crap. 
    ronnlollivernetmage
  • Reply 14 of 27
    macxpress said:
    Paralysis said:

So what does that have to do with anything? Steve is gone and people need to give up on this Steve would have done this, or Apple would have done this crap. 
    What does it have to do with anything? Well for one we wouldn't even being having this conversation at all if it weren't for him. Apple would not exist barring some unfathomable miracle and even then it would't be like it is today. There certainly would be no iPhone, probably no iPod or iPad and who knows what OS the mac would be running on? Could have been some variant of windows. Or Dell could have bought them out and sold it back to the shareholders as he once infamously said. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if it weren't for Steve Jobs.

Now in all seriousness I think that people reference Steve Jobs because, because they do it jokingly, and some like to reminisce and some because they feel that Tim Cook is not doing a great job as Apple's CEO. There is probably some truth in all of that.
    cnocbuicali
  • Reply 15 of 27
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Paralysis said:
    macxpress said:
    What does it have to do with anything? Well for one we wouldn't even being having this conversation at all if it weren't for him. Apple would not exist barring some unfathomable miracle and even then it would't be like it is today. There certainly would be no iPhone, probably no iPod or iPad and who knows what OS the mac would be running on? Could have been some variant of windows. Or Dell could have bought them out and sold it back to the shareholders as he once infamously said. We wouldn't even be having this conversation if it weren't for Steve Jobs.

Now in all seriousness I think that people reference Steve Jobs because, because they do it jokingly, and some like to reminisce and some because they feel that Tim Cook is not doing a great job as Apple's CEO. There is probably some truth in all of that.
    You're saying that the company co-founded by Steve Jobs wouldn't exist today if it weren't for Steve Jobs co-founding the company. You do see that's a pointless tautology, right? 
    edited July 2016 pscooter63ronnnolamacguy
  • Reply 16 of 27
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Obviously, Steve is missed! This is the most philosophical thread I ever read on AI. Congrats on the Billionth iPhone! And here hoping Tim Cook doesn't turn Apple into just another McDonald's. 
  • Reply 17 of 27
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    1 Billion iPhones! Wow, you know when I got my first iPhone 3, I have never expected there would be a billion of that. Knowing Apple, numbers are not their priority. But still, kudos when kudos due. And yes obviously Steve is missed, and I wouldn't want anyone said what I would or wouldn't do either, so just stop with the hypothetical. 
    cali
  • Reply 18 of 27
    ireland said:
    They decided to make an Internet communicator instead.
    cali
  • Reply 19 of 27

mj web said:
    Obviously, Steve is missed! This is the most philosophical thread I ever read on AI. Congrats on the Billionth iPhone! And here hoping Tim Cook doesn't turn Apple into just another McDonald's. 
    Tim's good at what he does. What he doesn't do is try to act like Steve.
    netmagebadmonkcali
  • Reply 20 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    ireland said:
    “And it doesn’t appeal to business users because it doesn’t have a keyboard which makes it not a very good email machine...” Steve Ballmer 2007
    netmageanantksundaramcali