Upthere cloud services store all users' data in the cloud, with no local storage

Posted:
in iPhone
Upthere, a new cloud service designed by former Apple engineers including former Mac software engineering chief Bertrand Serlet, has exited a seven month long beta program on iOS and macOS, and is promising to change how users utilize and think about cloud storage.

The new cloud service eschews normal file syncing utilized by nearly every other cloud storage provider. The company claims that the user's files are on their servers, rather than on a home folder on a host computer and on the company's hardware. Through the "Upthere Home" application for macOS, users can edit files stored on the service, and save edited versions directly back to the cloud account.

When a file is shared, authorized users have immediate access, with the company saying that no copies are made, links created, or downloads required. Organization is accomplished with "loops," collections of Upthere-hosted files, that can include documents that have been shared with the user, by other users.

Upthere makes no ownership claims on a user's stored files and photos, and promises that customer data will always be kept "safe, accessible, and shareable."

Initial AppleInsider testing of the service on a FiOS 150 Mbps connection both up and downstream shows good flexibility across three iOS devices with the service. Files open up in applications very quickly, but slower than if stored on a local network, or on the device itself, as expected.

However, while the Home app performs very well in our limited testing on the same connection, the same cannot be said for the files on a low-signal 4G connection. In a -102 dBm to -116 dBm Reference Signal Received Power (RSRP) signal strength environment roughly analogous to two bars displayed on the iPhone screen, 12MP photos uploaded to the service through the Upthere Home app take nearly 10 seconds to save per photo, a bit slower than the network provisioning at that signal strength should allow.

The performance on a low-signal network can't be attributed directly to the service, but the situation may pose a problem for users who need access to a file stored only on the service, instead of synced to an iPhone itself.

The Upthere Home app is available now on the iOS App Store, and requires iOS 8.1 or newer. Upthere charges $4 per month for 200GB of storage. A $2 per month charge is added for each increment of 100GB the initial allotment is exceeded. Users do not need to purchase storage in advance, as the allotment will grow as users' demands on the service do.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    Just no. We cannot put everything in the cloud. Networks fail from time to time. Bandwidth is NOT free. Speed is not constant. And eventually, they will find a way to hack into files in the cloud. 

Deelronthrangmwhitemike1
  • Reply 2 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    $5 a month for only 200 GB? Who dreamed up this plan? These guys are way late and more than a few megabytes short.

Just for the sake of comparison, Google Drive is $2/mo. for 100 GB and $10/mo. for 1TB.
    https://www.google.com/settings/storage

AmazonDrive is $60/year for unlimited storage.
    https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/home

Plus, I agree with @netrox ... bandwidth is still a major constraint and hard drives connected to the Internet and not on your own property are inherently risky, both from a security and legal standpoint. Cloud storage is only useful for stuff you wouldn't mind being hacked or intercepted.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 3 of 15
    softekysofteky Posts: 136member
    Just think positive. See how many things you'll be able to do with no available network from within a subway, a restaurant, in an airplane with no WiFi (or free WiFi), in a car (as a passenger), etc.

You might have to pay attention to your SO rather than read your books, compose stuff, watch locally hosted video, entertain the kids with previously downloaded content.

Oh Joy!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    I think uphere is out there and won't be making much of a dent.
    robin huber
  • Reply 5 of 15
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    BTSync FTW!
    justin freitas
  • Reply 6 of 15
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Maybe Betrand should have stayed at Apple....
    mdriftmeyer
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    netrox said:
    Just no. We cannot put everything in the cloud. Networks fail from time to time. Bandwidth is NOT free. Speed is not constant. And eventually, they will find a way to hack into files in the cloud. 

And we're not always connected to the Internet. Sometimes there is no signal or a weak/slow signal, be it cellular or wifi. Don't want to pay for wifi in airport or airplane just so I can access a file. Maybe this idea works for some, but some degree of local storage will always be a must for me.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    mike1 said:
    netrox said:

And we're not always connected to the Internet. Sometimes there is no signal or a weak/slow signal, be it cellular or wifi. Don't want to pay for wifi in airport or airplane just so I can access a file. Maybe this idea works for some, but some degree of local storage will always be a must for me.
    There are places in the lower 48 states of the USA where you can go for 100 miles(or more) and not get a cell signal. Just try driving from Vegas to Reno if your carrier is AT&T or T-Mobile. For large parts of the trip there is simply no signal even in the few towns on the route it is iffy.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    A good cloud storage service offers 2 options: sync for the files you always need (even if there is no network connection) and on demand for the files you don't need all the time.
    iCloud on Mac does only syncing, iCloud on iOS does only on demand (with a local cache).  This inconsistent behaviour is the main reason I never considered using iCloud for my business.
    Upthere is just worse
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Nice idea, but without 100% network availability everywhere, why would anyone risk it?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    On who's "cloud" are they riding on? Amazon? Microsoft? Or they are building their own?
  • Reply 12 of 15
    benjerbenjer Posts: 91member
    cropr said:
    A good cloud storage service offers 2 options: sync for the files you always need (even if there is no network connection) and on demand for the files you don't need all the time.
    iCloud on Mac does only syncing, iCloud on iOS does only on demand (with a local cache).  This inconsistent behaviour is the main reason I never considered using iCloud for my business.
    Upthere is just worse
    This is why I'm a fan of Dropbox, though the "Selective Sync" feature is sometimes a pain to use. When Dropbox finally rolls out Project Infinite, it will be just what you've described; the option to have what you need locally plus on-demand access to all files when you have an Internet connection (without having to use Selective Sync). I'm looking forward to it. https://blogs.dropbox.com/business/2016/04/announcing-project-infinite/
  • Reply 13 of 15
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    netrox said:

And one doesn't always have a connection.    

Maybe I'm a luddite, but I don't trust the Cloud.   I find even iCloud seems to do strange things with the few files I keep there.   In my work environment, I keep all my files on a local machine and use those day-to-day, but backup to other servers (and a hard disk key, which I then also copy to my Mac at home, which itself gets backed up every week).   

And even in that case, there can be issues.   When I left a position, I told the I.T. guys that other people would need my files and not to delete my backup files.   But they did.  I returned to that company a year later and luckily, I still had everything on my hard disk key (and even though that technically, keeping those files after I left was a violation of my contract).    I only lost all my Outlook email because they had deleted my account.   If I had not kept a copy of my files, I could not have returned because it would have been far too much work to start over.  
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Really? No one is going to draw the Pied Piper reference?

"No, it doesn't take any storage, because the files aren't there."

zenwaves
  • Reply 15 of 15
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I wish Apple would get this right in iCloud. Sick of synch errors when co-editing documents with web + native apps. Also, where's my native + native collaboration Apple?