Apple CEO Tim Cook, VP Lisa Jackson to host Clinton fundraising event

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    Apple should do what Google did with Eric Schmidt. Make Tim Cook Chairman and have someone else run the company. Tim could do all the things he likes and someone else would be CEO and responsible for product strategy and getting stuff out the door. Give the job to Schiller or Jeff Williams or maybe bring someone in from the outside.
    Every time there's a relative decrease in the pace of Apple's product releases the trolls predictably come out en masse with their anti-Cook comments. I know you know better than that, so I'm curious.. I've never heard a coherent argument on why Cook isn't an excellent CEO for Apple. The anit-Cook arguments all seem pathetically inane.. didn't predict exactly how many iPhone's Apple sold over a couple quarters, released the new iMac too early.. doesn't cater to wall street.. caters too much to wall street..

I feel the same way about Tim Cook as I did when he first became CEO, that Apple's vision, mission, and identity is set, and all it needs a steadfast, skillful operator to make sure things run smoothly. To me, Tim has far exceeded my expectations. While shouldering a gargantuan* amount of crap along the way. So I'm curious, am I missing something?

*Not only does he have to deal with the expected challenges of being the CEO of the largest publicly traded company in the world, but he has to put up with the army of ridiculous arm-chair Steve Jobs' out there.

[My only real gripe is the somewhat haphazard rollout of many services and the continued lack of social integration into services, which is an essential component. Some very minor gripes are that I feel he's a tad bit too political, and is placing a bit too much importance on the effects of the gaseous plant food we all exhale every day (love the forest sustainability efforts though.)]
    edited July 2016 pbrstreetgmacxpressration al
  • Reply 22 of 57
    Point of order
    "The Hillary Victory Fund is a joint fundraising committee supporting 33 state Democrat committees, the Democratic National Committee, and the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign organization."

should read

The Hillary Victory Fund is a joint fundraising committee supporting 33 state Democratic committees, the Democratic National Committee, and the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign organization.

In the United States it is the Democratic Party- not the Democrat Party. One is a Democrat as a member of the Democratic Party.
    In the US we do not call cigarettes "fags", either. Or call trucks lorries, or elevators lifts, or spell color with a u (colour).

Not nitpicking, the misuse of Democrat is intentional by many NeoConservatives.

ronn
  • Reply 23 of 57
    macxpress said:
    hudsonb said:
    Apple should stay out of politics... Supporting a crooked woman and her philandering husband is nauseating.

Apple isn't in politics. It didn't say Apple is holding a Clinton fundraising even...it said Tim Cook was. Tim is welcomed to do what he wants with this spare time just like you and I. I don't think you actually read the article, but rather just the headline and posted. 
    I apologize for mis-reading it and now see that it's not an Apple event. It still upsets me that Tim and Lisa can support them (my opinion).
  • Reply 24 of 57
    hudsonb said:
    Apple should stay out of politics... Supporting a crooked woman and her philandering husband is nauseating.
    Yep, you're right, being a woman in American politics the last 25 years is easy... DA!
    cnocbui
  • Reply 25 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    flaneur said:

I say this a strong Tim supporter ...  For heaven't sake AI don't post these click bait type articles it bring down the entire tone of the blog.  Not the article itself but the moronic comments.  It simply attracts and promote divisiveness and brings out the nut jobs.
    I'm sympathetic to your view, 'cause it's always painful to watch. A disgrace, usually.

But it is part of the Apple story, because Steve Jobs founded a world-focused company that required an inclusivist (is that a word?) like Tim Cook to run it.

No way could Tim stay out of this election, where we have a candidate who seems against every social and business value that Apple stands for. 

Totally agree on and I am on the same page.  My point was it just allows for the biggots to post their crap.
    edited July 2016 pbrstreetg
  • Reply 26 of 57
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Legality of Political Contributions needs to be reviewed.  Hypothetically speaking, if I gave a large sum of money to a candidate, I would anticipate some type of political favor. The contribution is clearly not tax deductible.  The Giver does not stand to benefit from the contribution except to see their candidate possibly win.  Of course, if the money $ given influences the ability of the candidate to mount a campaign, the giver would probably expect something in return. Especially if they cannot write if off their income taxes. I suppose there is always some benefit to the Giver just to know that he / she helped someone who shared their views to win.

I bothers me that candidates for office tell the voters that they can write off donations.  This is a lie.  Givers cannot write off the donations.  The Candidate must be able to account for all funds received and spent according to the election laws.

Example:  There is a candidate running for Sheriff in a South GA County who has told people they may write off contributions to his campaign. Nothing is further from the truth.  He must be able to account for all funds.  He most likely cannot in this instance.  This candidate may be in violation of a section of the Hatch Act or some other law that forbids anyone other than the current sheriff from using a photograph of his / her self wearing a Sheriff's Uniform in a political ad that is published in a  local paper(s).  Only the current sheriff may pose in a political photograph; not even his deputies may pose in a political ad wearing a uniform.  How is it that this person running against the current sheriff can wear a sheriff's uniform or a deputy's uniform in a political ad, when the deputies of the current sheriff cannot do this ?  It is very misleading to show someone running for Sheriff in a photograph that clearly represents erroneously the opposition as being a sheriff or a sheriff's department employee when he is a city fireman ?  Why does he not wear his fireman's uniform ?  is he ashamed to be a fireman ?  I hope not.  But he is not a sheriff, nor has he / she ever been a sheriff.

A Political Candidate who accept / spends more $ for the office that the office actually brings to them as a salary are a mystery to me.  Some how there is some influence expected by someone , somewhere.

This Apple Insider Article about Apple's Tim Cook is misleading in the Title and the content.  If anything, this article should be written from the position that Tim Cook has personally contributed to Hillary Clinton's campaign.   Since Apple is my major stock holding, I would like for Tim Cook to steer clear of this being obvious.  I don't care what he does at Tim Cook, but as the CEO of Apple, I expect him to not take sides and stick to making money for Apple, not giving money to Hillary Clinton.  I thought more of Tim Cook before this slanderous article than after the article.  I guess the intent of the author was to influence my opinion re Tim Cook & Apple.  I think less of the Author because of how he presented the fact(s).
  • Reply 27 of 57
    The Republican platform may have influenced him, some real retrograde stuff in there.
    baconstangration al
  • Reply 28 of 57
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Apple should do what Google did with Eric Schmidt. Make Tim Cook Chairman and have someone else run the company. Tim could do all the things he likes and someone else would be CEO and responsible for product strategy and getting stuff out the door. Give the job to Schiller or Jeff Williams or maybe bring someone in from the outside.
    Every time there's a relative decrease in the pace of Apple's product releases the trolls predictably come out en masse with their anti-Cook comments. I know you know better than that, so I'm curious.. I've never heard a coherent argument on why Cook isn't an excellent CEO for Apple. The anit-Cook arguments all seem pathetically inane.. didn't predict exactly how many iPhone's Apple sold over a couple quarters, released the new iMac too early.. doesn't cater to wall street.. caters too much to wall street..

I feel the same way about Tim Cook as I did when he first became CEO, that Apple's vision, mission, and identity is set, and all it needs a steadfast, skillful operator to make sure things run smoothly. To me, Tim has far exceeded my expectations. While shouldering a gargantuan* amount of crap along the way. So I'm curious, am I missing something?

*Not only does he have to deal with the expected challenges of being the CEO of the largest publicly traded company in the world, but he has to put up with the army of ridiculous arm-chair Steve Jobs' out there.

[My only real gripe is the somewhat haphazard rollout of many services and the continued lack of social integration into services, which is an essential component. Some very minor gripes are that I feel he's a tad bit too political, and is placing a bit too much importance on the effects of the gaseous plant food we all exhale every day (love the forest sustainability efforts though.)]
    So that's why he has to bring Bob Mansfield out of retirement to run the car project which Bloomberg said suffered from a lack of direction? Shouldn't that direction be coming from the top? I see little evidence that Tim is instrumental to Apple's product strategy. I'm not arguing to get rid of him but a lot of large companies have a CEO and President or Chairman and CEO roles. I don't see why Apple couldn't do the same. Then Tim could focus on the things he's good at and things he cares about.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 29 of 57
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    mobird said:
    I don't think Steve would be a happy camper with Cook's behavior. Steve probably has rolled over a couple of times...
    Steve? Who's this Steve I keep hearing about, and to whom people keep attributing thoughts and feelings? 

Is is it even sane to assign attitudes to an imaginary version of a dead person five years after his death? 

Nope. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 30 of 57
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

So that's why he has to bring Bob Mansfield out of retirement to run the car project which Bloomberg said suffered from a lack of direction? Shouldn't that direction be coming from the top? I see little evidence that Tim is instrumental to Apple's product strategy. I'm not arguing to get rid of him but a lot of large companies have a CEO and President or Chairman and CEO roles. I don't see why Apple couldn't do the same. Then Tim could focus on the things he's good at and things he cares about.

I think this actually stems from something I said in another thread, Apple does't have a lot of depth in its upper management lineup. Some may disagree, but the fact that Bob was yet again called out of retirement to oversee something Apple is working on is a prime example. Tim can't do everything, just like Steve Jobs didn't do everything at Apple. What Steve did do and what Tim should probably be focusing on is getting top talent at the top for not only today, but also the future of the company. People like Tim, Phil Schiller, Jony Ive, etc aren't going to be at Apple forever. You're only as good as the people you put under you and the people Steve put under him are what's running Apple today for the most part. 

edited July 2016 baconstangpatchythepirateration al
  • Reply 31 of 57
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member
    hudsonb said:
    And that is the problem.  As soon as your hear, read, or see the term "Tim Cook' it is interpreted by most as "Apple".  For that reason alone he should not be doing this.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 32 of 57
    rhoninrhonin Posts: 60member

macxpress said:
    hudsonb said:

Apple isn't in politics. It didn't say Apple is holding a Clinton fundraising even...it said Tim Cook was. Tim is welcomed to do what he wants with this spare time just like you and I. I don't think you actually read the article, but rather just the headline and posted. 
    Doesn't matter.  The significant majority of the public translates Tim Cool as Apple.
    The terms are swappable.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    pbrstreetgpbrstreetg Posts: 184member
    rhonin said:

macxpress said:

Doesn't matter.  The significant majority of the public translates Tim Cool as Apple.
    The terms are swappable.
    If people have a problem differentiating between Tim Cook and Apple, that's on them, the same nonsense when people think that John Mackey of Whole Foods must be a democrat or that Bradley Cooper MUST have shared the same politics as Chris Kyle since he portrayed him in American Sniper, it's asinine beyond belief. 

I get the whole effect of a cult of personality, but I don't get that from Tim Cook they way it emanates from Elon Musk or did with Steve Jobs, those guys were on just another level. Maybe there is point for Tim Cook to get another person to work on visionary work while he executes on what he does best for the company, and that is operations.
    ration alAni
  • Reply 34 of 57

TBH I'm not sure exactly what kinds of things Tim would be able to do as chairman, but regardless, I don't think there's anyone out there that could be a better CEO for Apple right now. I think bringing Mansfield in is a sign that Tim's doing his job well, not the other way around. I don't see Tim as a product ideas/design guy, and I don't think Apple needs one. Apple Inc is still a highly functional ideas/innovation machine, even without SJ, and I don't see that changing. Apple needs a smooth operator.. and I think Tim is just that! And even though he's not a naturally expressive, effervescent person, he clearly has an intense, unyielding passion for and dedication to Apple and Apple's mission. I don't think that is easily replaced.
    edited July 2016 ration alAni
  • Reply 35 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I have a simple question for any liberal who gave post #18 a thumbs down.

Have you seen the pictures of her tongue and that circle or hole that's there? Interesting stuff. And those non stop, chronic coughing fits? Interesting indeed.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 36 of 57
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    A relative decrease in the pace of Aple's product releases? Wtf? That wold have to be one of the most myopic claims I have seen on Apleinsider. 
    At the rate we are going my kid born about the last time the current format MBP was released will be in school.  Relative my arse.  

Cook is riding the plateau of the product cycle. Cook is so bored with refining the supply chain he spends his time SJWing instead of QCing Ive and his approach to user interfaces, let alone Ive's vision of hardware appliances. He is running a massive corporation and shouldn't have time for that shit.
    We won't get an  new MBP until sales are rapidly declining.  Which of course has finally happened, so fingers crossed.
    edited July 2016
  • Reply 37 of 57
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Tim supports the woman excused by the guy who tried to f*ck him on encryption.

But that's cool, vote for somebody amazed by balloons.

Um.... http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/tim-cook-apple-paul-ryan-fundraiser-224554

Where does he stand on encryption?
    Cook's fundraisers are for candidates that support expanded H1B visa's which give Apple and other tech companies cheaper workers.       Most "Immigration Reform" deals trade letting the illegal aliens stay with greatly expanded H1-B visa quotas.   It gives liberal and conservatives something to each vote for. This is the real reason tech companies like Facebook support Immigration reform.   Its not for the "dreamers" its for the "coders".     If Trump is elected his "wall" could kill this coalition.    So Apple, Google, Facebook, etc will also support Hillary.  (and corporate leaning republicans like Ryan.)

tallest skil
  • Reply 38 of 57
    This is an abomination, and a disgrace to this country with such a rotten and corrupt candidate.  I am really starting to wonder about Tim Cook's clarity and logic of thought.  Why does Apple not consider the only true freedom focused team of Gary Johnson President & Bill Weld VP?!  

http://johnsonweld.com
    edited July 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 39 of 57
    apple ][ said:

Have you seen the pictures of her tongue and that circle or hole that's there? Interesting stuff. And those non stop, chronic coughing fits? Interesting indeed.
    Hmm, picture or URL showing this?  
  • Reply 40 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    apple ][ said:

Hmm, picture or URL showing this?  
    Many tweets about it, and many sites have mentioned it.

http://www.thepoliticalinsider.com/what-did-dnc-viewers-find-hillary-tongue/