Kanye West wants Apple to buy Tidal, calls for executive meeting

Comments

• Reply 61 of 83
    Soli said:
    He stands to make a lot of money. 
    Jay Z paid $56 Million for Tidal and Tidal is now worth $250 Million. 
    http://www.businessinsider.com/jay-z-music-streaming-site-tidal-valued-at-250-million-2015-4?r=UK&IR=T

I'm lost. What does this have to do with Kanye?
    Kanye is a co-owner. 
    Kanye West, Daft Punk, Alicia Keys, Jack White, Nicki Minaj, Madonna, Rihanna, Beyonce and Jay Z., 
    Coldplay's Chris Martin and Calvin Harris are all co-owners. 

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/30/jay-z-brings-the-a-list-for-tidal-music-streaming.html
  • Reply 62 of 83
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    I'm lost. What does this have to do with Kanye?
    Kanye is a co-owner. 
    Kanye West, Daft Punk, Alicia Keys, Jack White, Nicki Minaj, Madonna, Rihanna, Beyonce and Jay Z., 
    Coldplay's Chris Martin and Calvin Harris are all co-owners. 

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/03/30/jay-z-brings-the-a-list-for-tidal-music-streaming.html
    Thanks. That article does state he's a co-owner; I only wish they mentioned to what extent.
  • Reply 63 of 83
    digitoldigitol Posts: 276member
    damnit! i've blocked Kanya er Kanyay or however you spell it on all social media, but this slipped me! Maybe someone needs to build kanye blocking software?
  • Reply 64 of 83
    Mark LMark L Posts: 1member
    Never heard of Tidal before, and it seems to be a pretty small player in the business. If Apple is swinging its big d*ck, what is Tidal swinging?
  • Reply 65 of 83
    michelb76 said:
    lol 'beef'...it's simple competition...let the market speak..
    https://youtu.be/idnwh6iDnXA
  • Reply 66 of 83
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    tmay said:
    You would think that $56 million is reasonable money for many millionaires too but its also true that Tidal isn't making money, and sooner or later Tidal will fail and the artists will be back looking at exclusives on Apple Music or any of the rest of the streaming services. A business model based on "we're cool artists and musicians, give us your money" hasn't been successful.

More to the point, Kanye's tweets are red flags to the DOJ; he would have been better off keeping his mouth shut, on the off chance that Apple really is interested in negotiations.
    Well, I think discussions have already taken place but they disagree on the price. Tidal may not make much money but Apple loses when the BIG albums don't debut on iTunes/Apple Music. If Tidal were to merge with Google or Spotify, they could become a pain in Apple's butt for a long time.   Moreover, Tidal's owners are not exactly in the poor house.  Jay Z alone is worth over $600 Million. 

I bet Apple is being reasonable while Jay Z and friends are trying to make a killing on their investment. 
    I hope they work it out for the music industry's sake. 
    Your premise is that Apple loses when big albums don't debut on Apple Music, which is likely not true, as the metric for success is subscriber growth over time and Apple seems to be doing fine with that. Apple also uses the same marketing techniques of windowing that Tidal uses, so, one could argue that Tidal is already at a disadvantage when Beyonce's Tidal exclusive "Lemonade" is for 24 hours and then it's available on Apple Music/iTunes, Spotify, or Google Play.

Maybe Jay Z needs to talk to Samsung; they seem interested in shoring up their music service, and might be willing to pay the premium.
  • Reply 67 of 83
    tmay said:
    Well, I think discussions have already taken place but they disagree on the price. Tidal may not make much money but Apple loses when the BIG albums don't debut on iTunes/Apple Music. If Tidal were to merge with Google or Spotify, they could become a pain in Apple's butt for a long time.   Moreover, Tidal's owners are not exactly in the poor house.  Jay Z alone is worth over $600 Million. 

I bet Apple is being reasonable while Jay Z and friends are trying to make a killing on their investment. 
    I hope they work it out for the music industry's sake. 
    Your premise is that Apple loses when big albums don't debut on Apple Music, which is likely not true, as the metric for success is subscriber growth over time and Apple seems to be doing fine with that. Apple also uses the same marketing techniques of windowing that Tidal uses, so, one could argue that Tidal is already at a disadvantage when Beyonce's Tidal exclusive "Lemonade" is for 24 hours and then it's available on Apple Music/iTunes, Spotify, or Google Play.

Maybe Jay Z needs to talk to Samsung; they seem interested in shoring up their music service, and might be willing to pay the premium.
    Ouch.  Releasing their BIG albums with Samsung would be suicidal for the artist.  I think the artists already lose by releasing on Tidal instead of iTunes/Apple Music.  I believe it's to the artist's advantage to release with big bang promotions and sell/stream a lot early on.  The money is on iTunes/Apple Music/Beats 1.  Tidal is not a must have for Apple but it's a nice to have to keep competition under control.  Jay Z would be taking a big risk by not selling to Apple.
  • Reply 68 of 83
    Kanye needs to go play in traffic. 
    SpamSandwichskelington
  • Reply 69 of 83
    Unlike the other commenters I see Tidal as a major acqi-hire opportunity. The African-American stars on that roster are unique, insightful and well-spoken. It seems bizarre for Kanye to think that publicly pressuring Apple can help the deal move forward but perhaps he knows something we don't. On the other hand I don't think Tim Cook would allow the tweets to influence his decision one way or the other. Before I heard this news I was already speculating today that the profits from Prince's music alone would, over time, recoup the cost of an acquisition.
  • Reply 70 of 83
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Here is why Tidal will not succeed, for the same reason Android does not make money for anyone. Most of the people who listen to the music Tidal is catering to, as the same people who have Android phones, they want stuff for free, they do not and can not pay for the extras. Apple knows this and thus the reason that the rumor that apple was in talks to buy them was not true Tidal put that out in hopes to drive any interested parties to the table to make a deal quick before Apple. The fact this public statement has now come out shows Apple was never at the table in the first place.
    SpamSandwichstevenoz
  • Reply 71 of 83
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    williamh said:
    I'll be very disappointed if this works for the dumb ass. 
    if it works who would be the "dumb ass"?
  • Reply 72 of 83
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    spice-boy said:
    williamh said:
    I'll be very disappointed if this works for the dumb ass. 
    if it works who would be the "dumb ass"?
    It won't work. Tidal is likely hemorrhaging money and will soon go bankrupt.

Apple should simply watch the train wreck, then afterward offer each in-demand artist that foolishly signed up with Tidal an exclusive advertising/promotion deal on iTunes or Beats 1.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 73 of 83
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    Any chance that Kanye will just disappear one day?
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 74 of 83
    What would be the point of buying Tidal? I assume they get exclusive releases by either paying more or being buddies with the musicians. As soon as Tidal gets swallowed by some bigger player, that all goes away.

The corporates are better off letting Tidal die a slow death and teaching those greedy musicians that they need to make their money playing gigs and selling t-shirts
  • Reply 75 of 83
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Apple has a simple solution for this: find the contact entry for Kanye, scroll down and hit "Block this Caller."
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 76 of 83
    mac fanmac fan Posts: 87member
    linkman said:
    Apple has a simple solution for this: find the contact entry for Kanye, scroll down and hit "Block this Caller."
    That would make a great 30 sec YouTube spoof. No words. The phone rings, "Tim" clicks Ignore, then blocks the call and puts the phone down.

Apple doesn't need Tidal, but I think it would be a smart business move in spite of Kanye's arrogance and ignorance. I'm all for Apple swinging it's big dick and knocking Kanye around like he did that photographer. I don't know what a fair price would be, but wouldn't want Apple to give the guy any bragging rights.

If they bought Tidal, they could make a commercial with Swift being catapulted off the treadmill but landing with some hooker high heels on "Kanye's" back. She smiles and says "Made me famous, my ass!" Not a fan of Ms. Swift but I'd give her a pass on that.
    linkman
  • Reply 77 of 83
    He bought it hoping for a billion dollar payout from someone who had no sense....that's not the Apple way, don't pay him cent and don't bother wasting valuable Executive time.
  • Reply 78 of 83
    bwinskibwinski Posts: 164member
    FU .** YOU.
  • Reply 79 of 83
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    igorsky said:
    Any chance that Kanye will just disappear one day?
    We should be so lucky. Right now he's sliming off the already massively slimy Kardashian harem.
  • Reply 80 of 83
    Is it possible that he is the most ignorant person alive today in the so called "music" industry?