Apple TV Remote launches on iOS, remains separate from iTunes Remote app

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2016
Apple on Monday publicly launched its new Apple TV Remote app, mimicking the functionality of the Siri Remote used with the company's fourth-generation set-top box. But users who want to control iTunes media on their Mac will still need to use the legacy iTunes Remote app.

The new Apple TV Remote app is a free 5.5-megabyte download available on the App Store. It requires an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch running iOS 9.3.2 or later.

In the app description, Apple says the new app delivers "the best of the Siri Remote." That includes voice search through the iOS device's built-in microphone --?but only for the fourth-generation Apple TV.

Without Siri, the Apple TV Remote app also works with a third-generation streaming box with Apple TV Software 7.2.1, or a second-generation model with Apple TV Software 6.2.1. A Wi-Fi connection to the Apple TV is required.

Other features from the app, according to Apple, include:

• Navigate Apple TV with touch gestures
  • Quickly enter text, email addresses, and passwords using the keyboard
  • Ask Siri to find something great to watch, listen to, or play
  • Control the movie, TV show, or song that's currently playing
  • Play games using the accelerometer and gyroscope
  • Turn on Game Mode for simplified game controls

Announced at the Worldwide Developers Conference in June along with tvOS 10 and iOS 10, the new Apple TV Remote app has been available in beta for developers to test up until Monday's release. Rather than a simple upgrade of the existing iTunes Remote app for iOS --?which can also be used to control an Apple TV -- the new app is a complete revamp.

The new Remote app replicates all of the functionality of the Siri Remote with one key omission -- volume control. While the Siri Remote has dedicated volume buttons and infrared blaster to work with legacy devices, the iPhone lacks an IR blaster to adjust the volume on a receiver, TV set or soundbar.

The Apple TV Remote app cannot access other types of devices, such as iTunes music playback controls from a nearby Mac or Windows PC. Those functions are still available in the iTunes Remote app, which remains a free download on the App Store.

Notably, the iTunes Remote app has not been updated since December of 2015, and it is still not a 64-bit application. That's in violation of Apple's own rules -- third-party app updates were mandated to be 64 bits as of June 1, 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    What "set" can you put that "box" on top of, exactly? You've seen the TVs being sold in the last six years, right?
    zroger73Rayz2016
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Anyone figure out how to adjust volume in this app?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    weird, no search result by that name for me.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    weird, no search result by that name for me.
    Me either. Had to follow the link in the article for it to come up. Saw the Apple TV 3 & 4 pop up. Wonder what features carry over to the 3rd gen Apple TV.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Click App Store app -> Featured
    its the first app listed 

I just clicked the hyperlink in the article 

either way gets ya there
    latifbplolliver
  • Reply 6 of 12
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    zenwaves said:
    Anyone figure out how to adjust volume in this app?
    You can't from the app.  Volume control on the AppleTV remote is handled by an infrared transmitter.  Your iPhone / iPad can't duplicate that. 
    edited August 2016 lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 12
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    2 observations so far:

The app isn't optimized for iPad, it runs as a blown-up iPhone app. 
    The Apple TV (at least with the 9.x release of tvOS) can only pair to one iPhone / iPad at a time. If you try to register another iOS device, the previous device is forgotten and you have to enter a new 4-digit pairing code when you switch back to the first iOS device you paired to. :(

• Reply 8 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    damonf said:
    2 observations so far:

The app isn't optimized for iPad, it runs as a blown-up iPhone app. 
    The Apple TV (at least with the 9.x release of tvOS) can only pair to one iPhone / iPad at a time. If you try to register another iOS device, the previous device is forgotten and you have to enter a new 4-digit pairing code when you switch back to the first iOS device you paired to. :(

That's a bit lame, especially only being able to register one device. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Volume control will also work over HDMI-CEC, so it doesn't make sense why they couldn't include it in the app when in that mode. 
    williamlondonnolamacguy
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Is there support for "Volume up/down"? Can't seem to find it if there is. Anyone found it?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    LandanLandan Posts: 7member
    While in the app, the iphone's hardware buttons control the volume
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Love it - user experience is way better then when i used  the thin elegant remote that came with my ATV. 
    Ok the new ATV launched last fall and it's almost a year later but better now then never.
    The back/ forward function actually works - it never did on the remote that came with purchase.
    Now if the dev team can come up with a way to stop - 
    **the categories change when your gesture scrolling thru a selection - hate that  - scrolling then if you move your finger slightly in either direction you end up with in different category.
    ** home sharing turns off during movie - no don't tell me it has to do with my MBA on sleep mode - it is NOT!
    The only work around, i know of, is -  in iTunes / file/ turn off home sharing/ turn on home sharing - this is a real pain when your in the middle of a movie!  And since Apple can't screen share with my ATV it , it's assumed the user is the cause of the issue even though that is not said. Apple CS doesn't understand or have resolution. I've done all trouble shooting on my end - cable connections/ checked with cable company, ATV updates, etc. so what is up Apple?