Canada's Tangerine & PC Financial gain Apple Pay, Greece picks up live traffic in Apple Maps

Posted:
in iPhone
Canadian banks Tangerine and President's Choice Financial on Tuesday added support for Apple Pay, while residents of Greece finally received access to live traffic data in Apple Maps.

Customers of Tangerine -- a Scotiabank subsidiary -- can now attach their Money-Back MasterCard to Apple Pay. Verification is being handled through the company's newly-updated iOS app.

President's Choice Financial, associated with national grocery chain Loblaws, is also supporting its MasterCards on Apple Pay. The company warns, though, that PC Plus members looking to earn PC points when shopping must currently tap or scan some other device or barcode first.

The new Greek traffic means that drivers can see which routes are congested when getting directions in Maps, and choose an alternate route if necessary. Apple's live traffic coverage currently extends to almost 40 markets, making it better-supported than public transit directions or iOS's "Nearby" feature.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Think it's easier for Apple to support live traffic coverage. It's "included" with the map data supplier (in this case TomTom).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I never quite figured where the traffic data comes from. I mean, it's obvious that my country is in the Stone Age when it comes to connected devices / IoT. Always thought other countries have some sort of road monitoring services. For example I cannot see a road working crew here in Greece notifying anyone about works taking place, or a police car broadcasting its position on a highway where an accident occurred...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    Efthymis said:
    I never quite figured where the traffic data comes from. I mean, it's obvious that my country is in the Stone Age when it comes to connected devices / IoT. Always thought other countries have some sort of road monitoring services. For example I cannot see a road working crew here in Greece notifying anyone about works taking place, or a police car broadcasting its position on a highway where an accident occurred...
    As far as I know, it's not about government systems, but every user of a TomTom is sending anonymous data about his speed etc.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    I can say that Apple Pay is humming along smoothly in Canada. Many more merchants, than mentioned on Apple's site, accept it. 
    Here in Quebec, the only major holdouts include, Desjardins and Banque Nationale. Glad I chose BMO a long time ago. 
    I can say that more than half of my shopping is done through Apple Pay now. 

• Reply 5 of 5
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Just a question - travelling in the US, and I haven't had success with Apple Pay on my Canadian cards (using Apple Watch). Keeps saying "card not readable". Works flawlessly at home. 

Anyone else experience this?