Samsung's new Galaxy Note 7 largely incremental, except for iris scanner

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2016
Samsung on Tuesday took the wraps off of its Galaxy Note 7 phablet, featuring identical internals to the company's Galaxy S7 smartphone, with the exception of a new iris scanner -- a feature rumored to make an appearance in next year's iPhone [updated].

The U.S. Galaxy Note 7 is a 5.7-inch device with a resolution of 2560x1440 pixels, and is powered by the Snapdragon 820 quad-core processor, with 4GB of RAM and an Adreno 530 GPU. The international model will have a different processor.

Default storage is 64 gigabytes, with MicroSD card expansion possible, up to 256 gigabytes.

The rear shooter is a 12-megapixel "DualPixel" camera, the same as in the Galaxy S7. A standard headphone jack is included, as is a USB Type C port.

Samsung has also made improvements to the smart pen, with waterproofing and a change to the tip of the stylus to better mimic a ballpoint pen.

The highlight feature of the device is further biometric identification beyond just a fingerprint detector, with the inclusion of an iris sensor through the 5-megapixel front-shooting camera. Beside just device unlocking, Samsung has implemented a secure folder in Android 6.0.1 "Marshmallow" allowing users to segregate applications and documents beyond just passcode security.

While not yet fully implemented in the operating system, Samsung's iris scan technology will ultimately be used for Samsung Pay authentication.

Samsung has protected the device to IP68 standards, meaning that the phone is sealed against dust intrusion, as well as protected from immersion in water to a depth of 1.5 meters or submersion for up to 30 minutes.

Update: The Galaxy Note 7 weighs 169 grams. Samsung's initial press release stated a different weight, and this story has since been corrected with the accurate weight.

In comparison, the 4.7-inch iPhone 6s weighs 143 grams, with the 5.5-inch iPhone 6s plus coming in at 192 grams. An iPad mini with a 7.9-inch screen weighs 304 grams.

Rumors have suggested Apple could introduce an iris scanner to next year's iPhone revamp. The 2017 revision, potentially commemorating the 10-year anniversary of the iPhone, is said to feature an all-glass chassis with components such as a Touch ID sensor, and front-facing camera which would be used for an iris scanner, obscured underneath an OLED display.

Other reports, however, have suggested Apple may not roll out iris scanning technology in the iPhone until 2018.

The Galaxy Note 7, meanwhile, will ship this month, on August 19.

Apple is expected to unveil this year's iPhone upgrade a few weeks later, in September. Reports have suggested that preorders could begin on Sept. 9, ahead of a launch later in the month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Would you let Samsung scan your iris?
    patchythepiratedoozydozenmonstrositymagman1979chiabrakkengtr
  • Reply 2 of 73
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    ireland said:
    Would you let Samsung scan your iris?
    Would you let Samsung---->android---->google have your iris?
    patchythepiratecalidoozydozenmagman1979chiabaconstangbrakkenredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 73
    Iris scanning for Samsung Pay? Why the hell would anyone use this instead of a fingerprint? You're going to look like a James Bond wannabe every time you use that feature in a store.

I called it on the secure folder, though I made a joke of it implying that you can put your super-secret stuff in an Iris unlocked portion of your phone.
    calidoozydozenpropodbaconstang
  • Reply 4 of 73
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

I can see it now, watching some idiot holding the phone camera up to your eye to unlock it an pay. Yeah it is going to pure entertainment in the check out lines.

Just last week I had to wait as some Android user try to go through all the steps to pull up his frequent buyer card and get the cashier to scan it then going through the steps to pay, it was an ordeal to say the least. Then I walk up popup apple wallet and scanned my card, then paid with my watch in a matter of a few seconds. People just do not really know how easy Apple made this process. People are still amazed how quickly I do things with the phone and watch.

edited August 2016 patchythepiratecalixmhillxmagman1979propodbaconstangJinTechbrakkenredgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 73
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I wouldn't be surprised if more than 50% of Fandroids do not even know what an iris is.

As for this so called "iris scanner", it is most likely another cheap Samsung gimmick that won't function properly, and the world will have to wait until Apple does it properly, just like with everything else.
    patchythepiratecalimike1mejsricbaconstangredgeminipagtrnetmage
  • Reply 6 of 73
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    maestro64 said:

I can see it now, watching some idiot holding the phone camera up to your eye to unlock it an pay. Yeah it is going to pure entertainment in the check out lines.

Just last week I had to wait as some Android use try to go through all the steps to pull up his frequent buyer card and get the cashier to scan it then going through the steps to pay, it was an ordeal to say the least. Then I walk up an popup apple wallet and scanned my card, then paid with my watch in a matter of a few seconds. People just do not really how easy Apple made this process. People are still amazed how quickly I do things with the phone and watch.

Funny, I've now seen people do the same with Apple Pay. I then show them how to do it correctly for next time. Even then, sometimes Apple Pay just doesn't work when I've used it at the same pos the day before. Nothing is perfect. Not even Apple pay.
    singularitygatorguy
  • Reply 7 of 73
    Funny, I've now seen people do the same with Apple Pay. I then show them how to do it correctly for next time. Even then, sometimes Apple Pay just doesn't work when I've used it at the same pos the day before. Nothing is perfect. Not even Apple pay.
    Can you believe that I have never used Apple Pay yet, not even once?

Maybe I'll be the guy who makes a dumbass out of themselves, when trying to use it for the first time. :#

I do have a few cards registered with Apple Pay, but the stores that I frequent most often, like my neighborhood grocery store, does not do Apple Pay I believe.

Maybe I'll try it just for fun, the next time I happen to walk by a McDonalds or something.
    cali
  • Reply 8 of 73
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 754member
    apple ][ said:
    As for this so called "iris scanner", it is most likely another cheap Samsung gimmick that won't function properly,
    You can pretty much bet the farm on this happening.
    edited August 2016 calimonstrositybaconstangredgeminipanetmage
  • Reply 9 of 73
    maestro64 said:

Just last week I had to wait as some Android use try to go through all the steps to pull up his frequent buyer card and get the cashier to scan it then going through the steps to pay, it was an ordeal to say the least. Then I walk up an popup apple wallet and scanned my card, then paid with my watch in a matter of a few seconds. People just do not really how easy Apple made this process. People are still amazed how quickly I do things with the phone and watch.

Apple Pay has worked 100% of the time for me at any pos reader that has supported it.
    patchythepiratecalixmhillxnetmage
  • Reply 10 of 73
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    maestro64 said:

Curious. I have seen plenty of Android users have absolutely no problem with Android Pay, and none with Google Wallet before then. It may have been a reflection on the user and the phone as opposed to the platform.

The process went something like this, pull the phone out, turn it on, unlock the phone, then proceed to find the correct app, then sorting through the app to find the correct loyalty card, hand it to cashier which had no idea what he was trying to do, tried scanning it with barcode laser scanner then realize that will not work, so used the hand held photo scan to read the bar code on the phone screen. Hands the phone back to the person, they put the phone back in the pocket. Cashier complete transaction, person pull phone out of pocket, turns it on, unlook the phone again locate payment app, (not sure if they were using a Samsung or what it had a case so I could not tell) then proceed to get the reader to read the phone.

Me on the other hand, turn on phone it open to apple wallet, can pulled up loyal card hand it to cashier (this time the cashier knew exactly what to do, thanks to the guy in front of me) gave me back the phone, put it in my pocket, cashier completes transaction, I double click the home button on the watch and paid with my credit card. Done no drama.

I agree most of it has to do with the user, but that has been my experience most Android users really do not know how to use these apps and they do not work all that seamlessly.

patchythepiratecalipropodredgeminipa
  • Reply 11 of 73
    gprovidagprovida Posts: 258member
    Let's see, SAMSUNG claims rarely match up with reality.  So it will interesting to see people test the phone for water proof, pen performance, and eye recognition.  

patchythepiratecali
  • Reply 12 of 73
    Iris scanning for Samsung Pay? Why the hell would anyone use this instead of a fingerprint? You're going to look like a James Bond wannabe every time you use that feature in a store
    Besides how stupid it will look, it just seems like a cumbersome solution to a non-existing problem. Or in other words, it's Samsung being Samsung.
    edited August 2016 baconstang
  • Reply 13 of 73
    apple ][ said:
    Can you believe that I have never used Apple Pay yet, not even once?

Maybe I'll be the guy who makes a dumbass out of themselves, when trying to use it for the first time. :#

I do have a few cards registered with Apple Pay, but the stores that I frequent most often, like my neighborhood grocery store, does not do Apple Pay I believe.

Maybe I'll try it just for fun, the next time I happen to walk by a McDonalds or something.
    I use Apple Pay when I can. Even then though, it can be a tricky situation because sometimes it'll act like it wants to work but doesn't. I used to use it all the time at my local Walgreens but it now doesn't work. I get a notification that it's been declined. So I use the same card and swipe it.

All NFC payment's are great as I've used them all and work the same. There are still some major growing pains and it'll take a while before NFC payment's get mass adoption. Sit down restaurants being the last to get it. 
    apple ][
  • Reply 14 of 73
    igorsky said:
    Apple Pay has worked 100% of the time for me at any pos reader that has supported it.
    Congratulations! It doesn't for others. Not saying it's a wide spread problem, it isn't, but it doesn't work 100% for everyone. 
  • Reply 15 of 73
    I don't even have to turn my phone on for Samsung Pay. With the screen off, I swipe up from the home button and my card comes up. I touch the fingerprint sensor, it vibrates and I'm done. With the iris scanner, I'll swipe up, look at my phone, and tap it to the POS reader. What could be easier? 

BTW, you have the weight of the N7 listed as 345 grams, where It should be at 169. Big difference there. 

cnocbuihoodslide
  • Reply 16 of 73
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Yeah, that's my fault. The PR copy I got had the 345g weight, which they've since corrected for us. It looks to me like they transposed the weight of the Gear VR headset. 

We've fixed the detail. Thanks for the tip.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 73
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    This device starts with 64GB storage and offers 15GB free cloud storage. Would be nice to see Apple match that. 
    doozydozensingularitycnocbuielijahgtimbitDarth Sidux
  • Reply 18 of 73
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    First, please no making the iris scanner such a huge deal merely because Apple is implementing one next year. Several Android devices already have iris scanners, including even ZTE, a budget device maker, who introduced one in 2015. Qualcomm put iris scanning support in their SOCs awhile ago, so I have no idea why it is taking so long for the device makers to enable the feature in their phones.

Second, I am sick of Samsung. They are lily-livered cowards. Their first design proposals are often really interesting and boundary-pushing stuff, and then they get scared, retreat and just release iterations. They wait until Motorola, LG, Huawei, Google, Asus or Apple implements it instead, and THEN they put the idea that they kicked around into the next phone.

Their first proposal for the Galaxy Note 7 (Galaxy Note 6 at the time) was awesome. It was going to be 6' (or 5.9'), have 6-8 GB of RAM, dual boot Android and Windows 10, and come with a laptop dock where the USB Type C port would connect to a keyboard, the MHL out in the USB Type C would drive the laptop screen, and the CPU and OS would reside on the phone. But like Samsung always does, they whittle it down, whittle it down until now the Galaxy Note 7 is basically just a bigger Galaxy S7 Edge.

The funny thing: other companies are now implementing their own versions of what Samsung was RUMORED to be doing with the Galaxy Note. A $99 laptop dock for an Android phone has passed $1 million on Kickstarter and is on the verge of reaching their stretch goals. And a Chinese company named Akyumen is marketing a Holophone that will dual boot Android and Windows 10, and will run on an x86 PC CPU, not a mobile SOC. They offer various docking options as accessories, and they have had 1 million preorders for the thing.

So companies who were motivated by the rumors of what Samsung was going to do came out with products that they thought that they could use to compete with the Galaxy Note. Ridiculous. Maybe Android smartphone fans should buy the competitors' products and leave cowardly Samsung alone.
    NO ONE GIVES A SH** what an android device is doing. All eyes are always on Apple and Apple only.

Baldwyn said:
    I don't even have to turn my phone on for Samsung Pay. With the screen off, I swipe up from the home button and my card comes up. I touch the fingerprint sensor, it vibrates and I'm done. With the iris scanner, I'll swipe up, look at my phone, and tap it to the POS reader. What could be easier? 

BTW, you have the weight of the N7 listed as 345 grams, where It should be at 169. Big difference there. 

Poor guy, can't afford iPhone so you settled for a knockoff. Tough. The biggest laugh for me is how Sammy claims it works just like a stripe and you hold the iKnockoff up to the terminal, yet they wanna add iris scanning? What a clusterf*** and must look silly for knockoff users. Imagine?
  • Reply 19 of 73
     Also, iris scanners have been in some Windows phones for awhile. As this is nowhere near a new feature, there is no reason why it would not work properly.
    I think that there's every reason to be skeptical.

Apple wasn't the first to include a fingerprint reader on their phones, but they were the only ones to get it right. All fingerprint readers before that point were garbage, before Apple came along and did it right.

If I were in Vegas, and if I were able to wager on this Samsung Iris scanner, I'd put my money against it, since all evidence and past history tells me that it's most likely a joke.
    edited August 2016 patchythepiratexmhillxmonstrositypscooter63igorskygtr
  • Reply 20 of 73
    Iris scanning for Samsung Pay? Why the hell would anyone use this instead of a fingerprint? You're going to look like a James Bond wannabe every time you use that feature in a store.

I called it on the secure folder, though I made a joke of it implying that you can put your super-secret stuff in an Iris unlocked portion of your phone.

I wonder if it is anything like the US Govt's Secure Social Security Lockbox that protects all the funds collected from your paychecks -- so that when you retire ...