Time Warner CEO says possible Apple buyout was never 'serious'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple's senior VP of Internet Software and Services, Eddy Cue, likely had no "serious" intentions when suggesting the possibility of a Time Warner takeover, according to the latter company's CEO.

"That particular one is more about the efforts of the technology companies, Apple included, who we've been trying to help because we want this better user interface, and what they should do and how would they get involved," Jeff Bewkes explained to Bloomberg in an interview published on Tuesday. "That's more about that than M&A [merger and acquisition]. I don't think M&A was serious."

In May, a report indicated that Cue raised the idea during a 2015 meeting with Olaf Olafsson, Time Warner's head of corporate strategy. Even at the time, though, sources claimed that talks never went beyond a preliminary stage, and in fact never reached the CEOs of Apple or Time Warner.

Buying Time Warner -- not to be confused with the separate Time Warner Cable -- would, in theory, give Apple instant access to a wide range of channels and movie studios, among them CNN, HBO, and Warner Bros. That might be particularly advantageous if Apple can make progress towards a live streaming TV service, which has allegedly been stalled by hardline negotiation tactics.

The problem however is that Apple would then find itself knee-deep in an industry it has no familiarity with, and locked into obligations -- such as with cable and satellite providers -- that it would probably rather avoid. The need to reach a maximum audience with shows like Game of Thrones would force it to better support platforms like Android and Windows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    creek0512creek0512 Posts: 111member
    This is some outrageous click-baiting, tempting us with Missandei and instead giving us a bloodied and blind Arya.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

I disagree with the last sentence, f*** them. I wouldn't support thieves or make them happy. I'm sure the DOJ would get involved, though they have ZERO problem with theft.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Good god I hope it was never serious. Why would Apple want to own a big legacy media company?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    if true - these media guys just can't keep their mouths shut. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Does Eddy Cue think that he's Steve Jobs or something?

I read an article recently about how Eddy Cue showed up late to a meeting with a bunch of corporate types and the CEO of Time Warner, wearing jeans, no socks and an Hawaiian shirt.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes of course, but I do know that Apple currently has nothing to show for all of their rumored TV deals.

thewhitefalcon
  • Reply 6 of 17
    apple ][ said:

I read an article recently about how Eddy Cue showed up late to a meeting with a bunch of corporate types and the CEO of Time Warner, wearing jeans, no socks and an Hawaiian shirt.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes of course, but I do know that Apple currently has nothing to show for all of their rumored TV deals.

Apple may have outgrown Cue.... perhaps time for him to, well, Cueit... (sorry, couldn't resist).
    thewhitefalconapple ][hmm
  • Reply 7 of 17
    apple ][ said:

Apple may have outgrown Cue.... perhaps time for him to, well, Cueit... (sorry, couldn't resist).
    Kind of sad that all these Apple bloggers like John Gruber laughed this off basically saying "that's Eddy". I'm sorry but you don't show up to a meeting like this 10 minutes late and wearing jeans and sneakers with no socks. That just comes off as incredibly arrogant as if Eddy Cue really thinks he's this big shot and these media execs are just a bunch of nobodies.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Apple needs to transition Eddy to "advisor to Mr Cook" for the next year or so, the same way Forstall exited. 
  • Reply 9 of 17
    apple ][ said:

yeah, except more profits than anybody. theyre in the stronger position and can afford to wait it out. 
  • Reply 10 of 17
    apple ][ said:

yeah, except more profits than anybody. theyre in the stronger position and can afford to wait it out. 
    Yeah, because corporate arrogance never came back to hurt anyone, right?
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Yeah, because corporate arrogance never came back to hurt anyone, right?
    what on earth are you talking about? just regurgitating the "Apple is arrogant!" meme. they're not arrogant. negotiations are about getting the right deal from as strong a position as possible. not doing what makes randoms on a rumor site happy. 
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 12 of 17
    apple ][ said:

But the most profits blah blah blah....is that the only argument people have here these days?
  • Reply 13 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    This morning it was announced that Time-Warner is buying 10% ownership of Hulu, joining Disney, 21st Century Fox and Comcast’s NBC/Universal. They'll add their channels like CNN and TBS to Disneys, et.al for a live TV package Hulu is said to have by next year. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 14 of 17
    But the most profits blah blah blah....is that the only argument people have here these days?
    nope, but its clear the point is lost on the usual trolls. all you armchair executives think you're brilliant and apple is daft, when the reality is staring you right in the face -- Apple has and continues to dominate. multiple industries. it is the titan. not Timewarner, not Huwei, etc etc. apple. the profits are the PROOF. you dont amass the largest fortune on earth by being daft. you dont amass it by pulling the wool over anyone's eyes. you amass it by being smart. smarter than the haters. smarter than you.

thats why i bring up the profit. apple knows whats its goddam doing, and you dont. why is why you're here, anonymous posters on a rumors site beating your chests, while Cook, Cue, Schiller, et all are actual real people out there doing things and winning at it. over and over. much to the chagrin of you armchair executives who are so quick to say how theyre doing it wrong. despite the fact that you're doing exactly nothing and theyre bringing home the massive, massive bacon every quarter.

but yeah man. profits dont matter. one look at your own tech company is proof of that, right.
    edited August 2016 roundaboutnowTurboPGTstourque
  • Reply 15 of 17
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    apple knows whats its goddam doing
    Isn't just absolutely insane when the anonymaggots like to suggest otherwise? Stupidity + anonymity breeds an unparalleled level of arrogance.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    It is long past the time for Eddie Cue to GO.  Not only is he NO Steve Jobs; he is actually doing a dreadful job moving Apple forward in its APPLE TV expansion.  It's not simply about arrogance or showing up late to meetings. It is about a sheer failure in getting some deals done.  With $230 billion in the bank, Apple is failing to use its financial leverage to become a dominant player in media (music, tv, movie stars). Unfortunately, the days are long gone when Apple can call all the shots. But, if Time Cook surrounded himself with some new blood, I have no doubt that they can once again become the best in class.  Simple suggestion: I wrote to Apple some ago and suggested they give a 20% discount to all Apple Music subscribers for all iTunes purchases. None of the cost should be passed on to the labels or performers because he additional subscribers would more than offset the cost of the discount ( with no loss to Apple, but many gains).  Of course, never received a response.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Apple maybe better off taking a cut of HBOnow and Hulu profits through an ATV app store subscription than owning them outright.

I just upgraded to the latest generation ATV and have been a longstanding cord cutter.  The ATV has slowly but surely become the primary way that I watch television.  The future is a single internet pipe into our homes and only on demand access.

It is not a perfect device but I am not going back.