Biker burned by broken iPhone, seeks to raise battery danger awareness

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    maestro64 said:
    mtbnut said:
    On a related note, I am raising awareness for when you close your car door on your hand by mistake, as you forget to move your hand out of the way before the door closes. Specifically, I want to target the driver's side door. I will soon launch a Kickstarter to raise funds for a national advertising campaign. 

It's a shame that politicians haven't supported me on this, as I have tried many times to garner the support of my local representatives at the state and federal levels. 

If you don't support me, you are for the menace that is present on every vehicle today: the slamming driver's side door of death. How many hands/fingers are we going to lose before we do something? 

Oh you missed out the politician bought into the need for every car to have backup camera at the cost of 100's dollars to consumers because people let their kids run around the driveway when someone backuping the car and ran over their kid and now everyone must have a camera because people did think this could happen.
    Backup cameras are pretty inexpensive, and regardless of whether it saves children or not, it will prevent countless minor fender benders and save vastly more in repair costs than the initial expense.  We are all victims of the weakest among us, especially cr@ppy drivers backing into stuff they can't see.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Wait, he put his phone in his pocket and rode a bike? That is a sure way to create enough friction and cause the battery to overheat and explode.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    maestro64 said:
    eightzero said:
    You cannot fix grammar, spelling, punctuation, or capitalization rules either. 

did that make you feel better... Remember no one ever die from a spelling error
    Yes they have.

Woman dies in surgery after spelling error delays blood supply
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/02/irmgard-cooper-bleeds-to-death-surgery-spelling-error-delays-blood-supply

edited August 2016 chiapscooter63macgui
  • Reply 24 of 45
    revenant said:
    I am sure his foot slipped off the pedal. Unless it was made out of flowers, in which case I suppose his foot did in fact slip off the petal.
    If he's a cyclist then he most likely had those clip-on shoes which are so easy to not get clipped in properly.

• Reply 25 of 45
    cnocbui said:
    maestro64 said:

did that make you feel better... Remember no one ever die from a spelling error
    Yes they have.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/02/irmgard-cooper-bleeds-to-death-surgery-spelling-error-delays-blood-supply

That wouldn't have happened if the surgeon had used bloodless surgery techniques which are now becoming more common than blood transfusions.

Man blood transfusions are such archaic medical practices.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Soli said:
    Are people really not aware that a device or component that stores energy can be damaged and release that energy in unfortunate ways
    Actually yes. People are incredibly stupid when it comes to stored energy of any type. We still get people blowing themselves up with gasoline and cutting up propane tanks with torches. Ive actually seen peoples eyes glaze over when trying to describe the safety issues associated with batteries. In a nut shell people are incredibly stupid and warning labels do nothing to stop them from doing things that are hazardous. In any event as Nobel at this mans efforts are to inform the populace he isn't likely to have a significant impact. Like I said people still light themselves on fire with gasoline even though everywhere you look there are warning labels about the dangers.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    maestro64 said:
    eightzero said:
    Cue the blame the victim posts in 3...2...1...

Yes because you can not fix stupid. Every day I see and talk to people who lack very basic common sense and these are not Teenagers who I expect that from. I surprised how often I hear the words "I did not expect that to happen" or "I did not think that would happen" and when I ask what did you think would happen, you get the blank steer or get the "not that"  
    Hey aren't most steers blank??? Hahaha As for the blank expressions I know exactly what you mean. Sad really. This Ione reason I believe the product liability laws need to be changed. It is pretty obvious that product labeling only does any good for a small subset of the population. For those that ignore such we really need to make sure that they suffer and are made examples of.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    chia said:
    eightzero said:
    I'm intrigued, who or what do you hold to blame for this man's mishap?

You describe him as a victim and in so doing so imply there's some perpetrating agent of his suffering.
    You can be a victim of an accident or misfortune.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    macxpress said:
    I'm just amazed people carry their smartphone in their back pocket.  It just seems it would be common sense to comprehend that's a bad place to carry it.  And not just due to the potential for damage, but also it would make an easy target for a pickpocket.

I see it everywhere...I also cannot believe people think its fine to store their phone in their back pocket with 1/3 of it sticking out of the pocket. I hate to say it, but its mostly teenie bopper girls that do this. I'm not a person who would want to steal someone's phone but its just so tempting to grab it just as a lesson to them, but obviously you can't. 
    Had to laugh here as I've experienced the same what the hell observation. Lets be honest though what where you really looking at when you finally noticed the cell phone? And speaking of grabbing I think your subconscious was on something else waiting to be grabbed.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    Geez people, the "victim" doesn't blame anyone. It was an accident and the battery was ruptured. He specifically says he doesn't fault Apple, that he just wants to raise awareness of the dangers of batteries in these ubiquitous portable electronics we have on us all the time.
    singularity
  • Reply 31 of 45
    artdentartdent Posts: 69member
    EV drivers should take note. If a guy falling off his bike could get third-degree burns from one iPhone battery, imagine what could happen to the driver of a Tesla in a two car collision.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    And skater did not get burn. Now on note of car driver...
  • Reply 33 of 45
    Yes. It is protected from overheating. - when charging - not when in use. It is just like saying that someone provided Peltier unit or cooling device during use. No itr does not have it. So use common sense that when you use device and you block it's cooling capabilities via case with your body then there is no way to prevent at least heat surge before the device shuts off. Termal properties do not work instantly. Time to get educated on how electronics works.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    cnocbui said:
    That wouldn't have happened if the surgeon had used bloodless surgery techniques which are now becoming more common than blood transfusions.

Are you a surgeon?
    chiamacgui
  • Reply 35 of 45
    cnocbui said:

Are you a surgeon?
    Read up on it. Numerous studies show bloodless surgery has more benefits for the patient, the hospital, and even the administration.

My comment however was a semantic thing. The issue wouldn't have happened had they used bloodless surgery because they wouldn't have used blood. A spelling mistake would not have caused the death because they wouldn't have ordered the blood in the first place. :-)
  • Reply 36 of 45
    cnocbui said:
    Are you a surgeon?
    Read up on it. Numerous studies show bloodless surgery has more benefits for the patient, the hospital, and even the administration.

My comment however was a semantic thing. The issue wouldn't have happened had they used bloodless surgery because they wouldn't have used blood. A spelling mistake would not have caused the death because they wouldn't have ordered the blood in the first place. :-)
    The woman in question was having major heart surgery, I was wondering whether it was actually possible to operate on that particular organ without having any blood loss, hence wanting to know if you were a surgeon.
    singularitychiamacgui
  • Reply 37 of 45
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    eightzero said:
    When the knife he had in his other back pocket impaled him - it was the knife's fault!
    Cycling's just too dangerous - get off the road!
    (I so wish I could have been there, I would have run to him with my fire extinguisher and waited, just to make sure)
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 38 of 45
    macxpress said:
    I'm just amazed people carry their smartphone in their back pocket.  It just seems it would be common sense to comprehend that's a bad place to carry it.  And not just due to the potential for damage, but also it would make an easy target for a pickpocket.

I see it everywhere...I also cannot believe people think its fine to store their phone in their back pocket with 1/3 of it sticking out of the pocket. I hate to say it, but its mostly teenie bopper girls that do this. I'm not a person who would want to steal someone's phone but its just so tempting to grab it just as a lesson to them, but obviously you can't. 
    I've thought of doing that a few times, with the tight jeans some girls wear I'm surprised it doesn't just fall out when walking. Similar scenario at ATMs when people make no attempt to cover their PIN, or staff who access security doors and leave the door open behind them. Never done anything personally but you see how easy it would be to steal sometimes, it's no wonder some chancers do it.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    He may not be suing YET, but after he goes the Hospital Bill he will be!!!
  • Reply 40 of 45
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    eightzero said:
    This cyclist is an idiot! (Did that fulfill your expectations?)