Samsung's new Galaxy Note 7 largely incremental, except for iris scanner

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    maestro64 said:

I can see it now, watching some idiot holding the phone camera up to your eye to unlock it an pay. Yeah it is going to pure entertainment in the check out lines.

Just last week I had to wait as some Android use try to go through all the steps to pull up his frequent buyer card and get the cashier to scan it then going through the steps to pay, it was an ordeal to say the least. Then I walk up an popup apple wallet and scanned my card, then paid with my watch in a matter of a few seconds. People just do not really how easy Apple made this process. People are still amazed how quickly I do things with the phone and watch.

Funny, I've now seen people do the same with Apple Pay. I then show them how to do it correctly for next time. Even then, sometimes Apple Pay just doesn't work when I've used it at the same pos the day before. Nothing is perfect. Not even Apple pay.
    Sometimes when I'm at Trader Joes it hasn't worked but one time the clerk said "oh I didn't push the button" they pushed something on their POS and it worked so I'm not sure if it's all Apple Pays fault for not working at times. 
  • Reply 42 of 73
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    revenant said:
    ireland said:
    Would you let Samsung scan your iris?
    Would you let Samsung---->android---->google have your iris?
    Cynic!  I would gladly surrender my entire genome to Google to better manipulate my perspective of reality!
  • Reply 43 of 73
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    This device starts with 64GB storage and offers 15GB free cloud storage. Would be nice to see Apple match that. 
    The base OS/Wizzcrap takes 10GB... Says everything
  • Reply 44 of 73
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    maestro64 said:

I can see it now, watching some idiot holding the phone camera up to your eye to unlock it an pay. Yeah it is going to pure entertainment in the check out lines.

Just last week I had to wait as some Android use try to go through all the steps to pull up his frequent buyer card and get the cashier to scan it then going through the steps to pay, it was an ordeal to say the least. Then I walk up an popup apple wallet and scanned my card, then paid with my watch in a matter of a few seconds. People just do not really how easy Apple made this process. People are still amazed how quickly I do things with the phone and watch.

Funny, I've now seen people do the same with Apple Pay. I then show them how to do it correctly for next time. Even then, sometimes Apple Pay just doesn't work when I've used it at the same pos the day before. Nothing is perfect. Not even Apple pay.
    ApplePay is the closest to perfection in my case. I have never had any problems.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 45 of 73
    Eh, so the Note 7 is impressive, so what.

Is anyone truly excited by phones these days??? The next revolution will be with VR so we've go at least another year or two before things get heated up again.

The only thing I'd like Apple to do is RELEASE AN ALL BLACK PHONE!!!

The stealth black S7 just looks absolutely sick. Why Apple do you push the geriatric grey on us???
    edited August 2016 xmhillxnetmage
  • Reply 46 of 73
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,315member

Dear Samsung,
    Generally the point of a call out is to highlight a feature by making it larger and showing more detail.
    netmage
  • Reply 47 of 73
    sflocal said:
    apple ][ said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if more than 50% of Fandroids do not even know what an iris is.

As for this so called "iris scanner", it is most likely another cheap Samsung gimmick that won't function properly, and the world will have to wait until Apple does it properly, just like with everything else.
    This is yet again another futile attempt by Samsung to say they came out with something first - like it did with their Samsung watch.  It will fail spectacularly, they'll make fun of Apple for "copying" them when Apple comes out with it on their next iPhone, and then immediately shut its pie-hole when Apple's version not only works flawlessly, but the design is clean and disappears.

Then of course, Samsung will copy the design verbatim for their next phone and just whine "it was the obvious next step".

Just wait...

About 10 years ago, I used to visit AintItCool pretty frequently. There'd always be these idiot posters who'd post saying "first!". Samsung is like a richer version of those guys.
  • Reply 48 of 73
    "While not yet fully implemented in the operating system, Samsung's iris scan technology will ultimately be used for Samsung Pay authentication." Which is Wrong... I allways sought that Samsung and others copied Fingerprint from Apple, but the idea for Fido started back in 2009, when PayPal and Validity Sensors (Synaptics) CEOs, had a conversation about payment with fingerprint, and in 2012 started the FiDO alliance with Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Gamalto and many others making a FiDO ecosystem.... The Samsung S5 was the first FiDO ready phone making the first mobile payment (paypal) with fingerprint.. Google has implemented FiDO in Android 6 and Microsoft in Windows 10, and Samsung Iris Scanner support FiDO... "FIDO standards will support a full range of authentication technologies, including biometrics such as fingerprint and iris scanners, voice and facial recognition"
  • Reply 49 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    tzeshan said:
    iPhone 6S Plus screen is wider than Galaxy N7.  N7 screen is stretched.  It is less useful with a stretched screen.  
    Where did you find the actual screen dimensions that compare the two? I had read that the combo of near zero bezels and a curved screen was what allowed Samsung to design a smartphone with a larger display but narrower device compared to the 6S+.

FWIW there's no major difference in my view between a 5.5 and 5.7 in the first place but YMMV. Smaller overall dimensions might help tho. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 50 of 73
    waltgwaltg Posts: 90member
    While I have all apple equipment, and of course stock,,, what I see is Apple falling seriously behind on their phone releases.. Silly things like when should I go to sleep based on when I woke up! Give me a break, silly sh**. In fairness, compare the new galaxies against the now aging iPhone, if your honest, the reaction would be, 'what's apple doing,sleeping, no wonder they are loosing high end market share! Come on Apple, the rumor mill says but wait till next year,,, then next year you will be trying to catch back up! Hum,,, those making fun of the iris scanning capabilities here,,, what were you saying a week or so ago when the rumor mill was building up Apple "MAY" come out with this in a few years???? Being from a manufacturing background and in IT, what I truly see is Apple lagging behind and being left in the dust on this equipment! I'm sure all the fanboys will be working their fingers hard at rebuking and picking this post apart, but this is what I and a lot of the others are seeing happening currently....
  • Reply 51 of 73
    maestro64 said:
    maestro64 said:
    Curious. I have seen plenty of Android users have absolutely no problem with Android Pay, and none with Google Wallet before then. It may have been a reflection on the user and the phone as opposed to the platform.

I agree most of it has to do with the user, but that has been my experience most Android users really do not know how to use these apps and they do not work all that seamlessly.

Most of it is down to the user, I'm guessing the person in front of you is not the type to frequent forums about phones and some cashiers are also not used to it. I have Key Ring on my lock screen so to give the cashier my card requires one swipe on the lock screen then tap on the appropriate card. To pay, I just have my contactless card in my phone case so i hold it over the terminal and done. I guess if i found that one swipe too much I could set up an automation app to open Key Ring when I enter a Tesco, Ikea etc but that seems a bit compulsive
  • Reply 52 of 73
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    I'll reserve judgement on the efficacy of the iris scanner for payment authorization until I see it in real world application scenarios. Apple's fingerprint based TouchID seems like a very natural extension to payment scenarios, logging into a device, logging into applications, and so on because it's located exactly where it needs to be - at your fingertips, when your hand is already on the device. I can see iris scanners being a useful convenience for scenarios where you pick up your phone and place it in front of your face and want it to open an app or the device's home screen. Using it in payment scenarios may be kinda goofy and unnatural but let's see some real world examples before we make the call. I wonder how well it works with Coke bottle thick eyeglasses and sunglasses?

All of these biometric sensors are interesting little additions to already feature laden products but each additional feature adds only small additional value while increasing complexity and creating one more thing to break or create incompatibilities with underlying apps. At some point feature bloat can obscure the utility of the product, but I guess the whole reason for "flagship" products is to highlight the biggest pile of features a vendor can come up with at a given point in time. Apple seems to show more restraint than Samsung does when it comes to flagship products. Without overall design sensibility and focus on utility "flagships" can easily turn into "garbage barges." 
    edited August 2016 xmhillx
  • Reply 53 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    gatorguy said:
    tzeshan said:
    iPhone 6S Plus screen is wider than Galaxy N7.  N7 screen is stretched.  It is less useful with a stretched screen.  
    Where did you find the actual screen dimensions that compare the two? I had read that the combo near zero bezels and a curved screen was what allowed Samsung to design a smartphone with a larger display but narrower device compared to the 6+.

FWIW there's no major difference in my view between a 5.5 and 5.7 in the first place but YMMV. Smaller overall dimensions might help tho. 
    The S7 Edge has the same size screen as the 6S+ but is noticeably more compact.

Unless you really wanted the pen, I can't see why you would want the note.  It would seem to be just an Edge with a 0.2" larger screen.  Same pixel dimensions and same everything else, and if the specs I was looking at are correct, the smaller Edge has a slightly larger capacity battery by 100 mah, though I suspect it's actually the same battery as in the Edge and the specs are wrong.

• Reply 54 of 73
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    cnocbui said:
    gatorguy said:
    Where did you find the actual screen dimensions that compare the two? I had read that the combo near zero bezels and a curved screen was what allowed Samsung to design a smartphone with a larger display but narrower device compared to the 6+.

The S7 Edge has the same size screen as the 6S+ but is noticeably more compact.

Unless you really wanted the pen, I can't see why you would want the note.  It would seem to be just an Edge with a 0.2" larger screen.  Same pixel dimensions and same everything else, and if the specs I was looking at are correct, the smaller Edge has a slightly larger capacity battery by 100 mah, though I suspect it's actually the same battery as in the Edge and the specs are wrong.

Of course there is the iris scanner and apparently with the note 7, you can make notes with the pen on the screen while the phone remains unlocked, which is a nice feature.
  • Reply 55 of 73
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    dewme said:
     Apple seems to show more restraint than Samsung does when it comes to flagship products. Without overall design sensibility and focus on utility "flagships" can easily turn into "garbage barges." 
      Just thinking about Touch ID
  • Reply 56 of 73
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    waltg said:
    While I have all apple equipment, and of course stock,,, what I see is Apple falling seriously behind on their phone releases.. Silly things like when should I go to sleep based on when I woke up! Give me a break, silly sh**. In fairness, compare the new galaxies against the now aging iPhone, if your honest, the reaction would be, 'what's apple doing,sleeping, no wonder they are loosing high end market share! Come on Apple, the rumor mill says but wait till next year,,, then next year you will be trying to catch back up! Hum,,, those making fun of the iris scanning capabilities here,,, what were you saying a week or so ago when the rumor mill was building up Apple "MAY" come out with this in a few years???? Being from a manufacturing background and in IT, what I truly see is Apple lagging behind and being left in the dust on this equipment! I'm sure all the fanboys will be working their fingers hard at rebuking and picking this post apart, but this is what I and a lot of the others are seeing happening currently....
    Please describe in detail where Samsung is leaving "...Apple in the dust".  Give specifics.  Hopefully you have more than the iris scanner. 
    nolamacguynetmage
  • Reply 57 of 73
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    waltg said:
    complete nonsense. as always, Apple leads the way and the others, like Samsung, follow. often with gimmicky versions of apples stuff. Apple lead the way with Siri, working finger print scanning, metal cases, etc. the Galaxy is an obvious clone of the iPhone 6 series, same design language. ditto on laptops etc. 

there's nothing on the latest Samsung device I want. and Apple is still the high end. people aren't standing in line for galaxies. 
    edited August 2016 netmage
  • Reply 58 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    brucemc said:
    waltg said:
    Please describe in detail where Samsung is leaving "...Apple in the dust".  Give specifics.  Hopefully you have more than the iris scanner. 
    VR, warranty backed waterproofing, cameras, expandable memory, 3.5mm headphone socket, lossless aptX Bluetooth, fast charging, wireless charging, longer battery life, design, particulalry thin - to nonexistent bezels, better display.
    edited August 2016 singularitygatorguy
  • Reply 59 of 73
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,704member
    Meh. 

Looks like a me a decent feature set mixed with feature creep. 

The he design is 2003 all over and ...

what at the heck. I come to applied wider for many reasons. None of which are to read full blown advertisements for Samsung phones. 

• Reply 60 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    sflocal said:
    bilbo63 said:
    I sure hope Apple does not move to an iris scanner. That will make the user experience worse – not better.

Touch ID works great and it's SEAMLESS, it unlocks pretty much instantly as we wake up our device. It's secure, dead easy and we needn't take any extra steps or do anything differently. Holding my phone to my eye for authorization is an additional and unnecessary step. Furthermore I can see that being an issue if you wear glasses and there is a glare on them. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. I hope the whole iris scanner rumour was nothing but a smokescreen to get Samsung chasing their tails again.
    I'd be okay with it.  It's the next step in an even more secure method of authentication.  We leave our fingerprints everywhere and that can be used against us if someone really wants to make the effort to duplicate.  It's feasible, albeit minor for 99.999% of the population.  We're simply not important enough.

If anyone can do it right, without it being obtrusive and obvious, it will be Apple.  I'm looking forward to seeing their implementation of it. 
    I absolutely guarantee Apple will not do this.