Alphabet's X to test delivery drones, Instagram adds Snapchat-like 'Stories'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2016
As a part of its delivery drone effort, Project Wing, Alphabet's X division will be testing technology at one of six U.S. test sites approved by the Federal Aviation Administration, the White House announced on Tuesday. Meanwhile, Facebook's Instagram launched "Stories," a feature mimicking Snapchat's ethereal slideshows.

The Project Wing tests will set the stage for future drone tech approvals, Bloomberg reported. In June the FAA finished its first regulations enabling commercial drone flights, but with strict limits on missions, weight, altitude, speed and range.

Indeed package delivery is still impossible under FAA rules, which require that drone operators stay within visual range and avoid flying directly over people. Companies like Google and Amazon are working on automated drones that by definition will have to fly long distances and descend into populated areas.

As a result, testing of drone delivery systems has largely been occurring overseas, despite the importance of the American market. On July 26, Amazon revealed plans to test in the UK.

At a White House event, FAA administrator Michael Huerta said that his agency is working on expanding drone use, including via regulations that would allow flights over crowds for businesses like news agencies. A framework is expected by 2017.

Instagram copies Snapchat with 'Stories'

Instagram's take on the feature combines multiple photos and videos from a day into a slideshow, including material outside of regular Instagram posts. Images can be played with using text and drawing tools. Notably, shared Stories will automatically vanish from feeds and profiles after 24 hours, and can be hidden from specific people.

The content will be rolling out to iPhone and Android users worldwide over the next several weeks, Instagram said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Yes alphabet, make a new enemy while failing. It's the only thing you're good at.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Why is it that Google is always testing but never delivers product? Google Glass, barges in San Francisco Bay, self-driving cars, cardboard VR kits. Testing, testing, developing, researching, betas for years and years... but no shipping products.
    calimacxpressdysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 10
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    lkrupp said:
    Why is it that Google is always testing but never delivers product? Google Glass, barges in San Francisco Bay, self-driving cars, cardboard VR kits. Testing, testing, developing, researching, betas for years and years... but no shipping products.
    Because tech that actually improves our lives takes time.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

Remember that the next time you slag off Apple saying that they only release minor updates.
    SpamSandwichpatchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    hentaiboy said:

Remember that the next time you slag off Apple saying that they only release minor updates.
    Or when Apple doesn't release anything for a year. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 10
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Oh yeah, it'll be a huge improvement in my life to have to hear giant mechanical insect noises all day long as package and media drones buzz around like sky vermin. I can just imagine the lawsuits with people shooting down nuisance drones...

Someone improve my life by using technology to eliminate existing noise, instead of creating new sources of noise.
    patchythepirate
  • Reply 7 of 10
    And criminal gangs shooting down drones with pellet guns and looting the cargo begins in ........
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I know quadrocopters are of interest to the owner of this site, but what has any of it to do with Apple?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I'm such a big fan of this - these new Instagram Stories are beautiful. Only thing I miss is the Snapchat Face Filters. However, while we wait, at least there is a hack to add Snapchat filters to Instagram Stories (albeit, has a few steps): https://www.executiv.co/blog/how-to-add-snapchat-filters-to-your-instagram-stories).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    dysamoria said:
    hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:
    Oh yeah, it'll be a huge improvement in my life to have to hear giant mechanical insect noises all day long as package and media drones buzz around like sky vermin. I can just imagine the lawsuits with people shooting down nuisance drones...

Someone improve my life by using technology to eliminate existing noise, instead of creating new sources of noise.
    Along that vein a recent Amazon patent sounds ( ;) ) like a positive development. Noise-canceling headphones are nice but nothing new and have downsides. Ones that stop noise-cancelation when you name is said make them a whole lot more useful. 
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/1/12341992/amazon-patent-noise-canceling-headphones-voice-activated
    edited August 2016