Apple TV becomes first set-top box to carry French Molotov.tv video streaming service

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2016
As Apple still struggles to launch a streaming TV service in the U.S., the company is making inroads in France, partnering with a premier cord cutting service that offers access to nearly all of the country's television networks in one place.

While individual apps exist for the myriad French broadcasters, the fourth generation Apple TV is the first set top box to see the combined Molotov.tv service, previously available on mobile devices and on the desktop. Future support for the Roku and similar devices hasn't been ruled out, but the Apple TV app is being marketed as the exclusive venue for the service on the television.

Molotov.tv carries France's most watched broadcaster TF1, as well as third place M6. Other channels on the service include France T?l?visions, Disney Channel, Turner, Viacom, and a large number of smaller broadcasters.

Premium channel network Canal+ was not in the initial beta program that started in October. However, on April 4, the service announced a licensing agreement bringing the company's D8, D17, and Cine+ to the paid portion of the service. As a result of the deal with Canal+, the digital service carries all of the most-watched channels in France.

France does have Netflix. However, French legislation demands that premium channels get movies two years before Netflix. Free TV channels, such as many of the ones on the service, have the ability to air movies up to a year before Netflix.

Molotov.tv appears to be the television service for cord-cutters that Apple was rumored to be pursuing in late 2015 and early 2016. The service has a mix of live and on demand programming, and is accessible not just on Wednesday's Apple TV launch, but across the entire iOS ecosystem as well.

The free service has 35 channels including the major broadcast networks in France, and offers users 10 hours of on-demand viewing per month.

Paid Molotov.tv subscribers get 100 hours of on-demand viewing a month, and access to 37 premium channels for ?10 ($11) a month. Advanced search for directors, actors, and specific content, plus scheduling features are available to both levels of subscription.

Efforts made by Apple to build a similar service in the U.S. appear to have been met with failure. Apple's aggressive negotiation tactics with content providers have been cited as the reason for the collapse of talks with the U.S. broadcasters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Apple-TV will soon become the set-top Hub of everyone's choice. Comcast,Time Warner, Cox, U-verse and others should start supporting Apple-TV with their native App for streaming contents. Sooner is better.
    libertyforalltmayjbdragon
  • Reply 2 of 9
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Recent headlines on AI:

Apple begins rollout of Apple Music services in Israel
    Apple debuts Arabic, British, English, and Italian Smart Keyboard layouts
    Bloomberg radio stream added to Apple Music in over 100 countries
    Canada's Tangerine, PC Financial gain Apple Pay, Greece picks up live traffic in Apple Maps
    BMW begins Apple CarPlay support with paid upgrades to 2 series
    Frank Ocean's new album to see release Friday as Apple Music exclusive
    Apple brings Maps transit coverage to Prague in Czech Republic
    Kayne West wants Apple to buy Tidal, calls for executive meeting

All of these headlines, plus this Molotov.tv story, are illustrative of the power of owning a global platform and homogeneous installed base to which you can roll out new services and capabilities.  Apple is about so much more than hardware sales.
    tmay
  • Reply 3 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    So I see these service prices seem more reasonable. 37 premium channels for $11 a month.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    wood1208 said:
    Apple-TV will soon become the set-top Hub of everyone's choice. Comcast,Time Warner, Cox, U-verse and others should start supporting Apple-TV with their native App for streaming contents. Sooner is better.
    I only wish. Apple appears to be still struggling a bit to get new content in. Hulu+ and SlingTV have made some important strides. Also, it's silly to me -- given the sheer size of the membership -- that Apple has not figured out a way to get Amazon Prime IV on board.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jbdragon said:
    So I see these service prices seem more reasonable. 37 premium channels for $11 a month.
    This is very good.
    35 channels + 10 hours of recording for free
    70 Channels including premiums plus additional recording time for 9.99 Euros.
    See French video on YouTube:  
    The interface looks good and will improve as features are added.

This probably cannot be done in the States because of the cable provider contracts for the free over the air channels.  What a ripoff.

williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I guess Apple always is ready to play the long game and wait out the content providers in the US for the right deal. I never believed in Apple discounting their brand, but Apple TV could be a big trojan horse in taking over the home and converting more people to the ecosystem. I would therefore think that strategically they might want to be flexible in taking less on any deal so that they are early to market and don't have to catch up like they did with Spotify. The only thing worth waiting for is doing it right if the providers were putting too many user interface issues into the mix.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    wood1208 said:
    I only wish. Apple appears to be still struggling a bit to get new content in. Hulu+ and SlingTV have made some important strides. Also, it's silly to me -- given the sheer size of the membership -- that Apple has not figured out a way to get Amazon Prime IV on board.
    It is other way around. Amazon has not figured out to get on Apple-TV train.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    wood1208 said:
    I wish Amazon (Prime) would release an App for the Apple TV!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 9
    wood1208 said:
    What a childish comment. 

What at do you think the consumer wants?