Apple Music for Android emerges from beta in newest app update

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Wednesday released version 1.0.0 of the Apple Music Android app, making relatively minor changes, but officially taking the service's Android support out of beta.

The app update incorporates "equalizer settings and a variety of performance, playback, and stability improvements," according to release notes. The download is free for devices running Android 4.3 or later, though most features require a monthly subscription.

Apple has only gradually brought Android support up to par with iOS. Initially, for instance, Android users couldn't access music videos or in-app sign-ups for Family plans.

The platform does offer some unique perks however, including the ability to save music to an SD card, and a home screen widget for quick playback control and track information.

Apple is normally resistant to supporting Android, preferring to nudge people into buying iPhones and iPads. The company has just three Android apps in all, one of which is actually a tool for migrating to iOS.

With Apple Music though the company was in a position of having to support legacy Beats Music subscribers on Android, and wanting to maximize the service's future listener base. Android is the world's most popular mobile OS, and even people who own iPhones and iPads might be reluctant to subscribe to a service that doesn't work across platforms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Doesn't this mean that apple are going to absolutely clean up with increased Apple Music subscribers now this has opened up to the huge android base ?

Even though research shows that android users are known to be less affluent and mainly users of free apps, I'm sure it will push the numbers up significantly.

Revenue's going to be sky high and the more this goes on the less valuable tidal will be to Apple Music. Their value is only going down the more AM subscribers. Poor Kanye 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    triton100 said:
    Doesn't this mean that apple are going to absolutely clean up with increased Apple Music subscribers now this has opened up to the huge android base ?

Even though research shows that android users are known to be less affluent and mainly users of free apps, I'm sure it will push the numbers up significantly.

Revenue's going to be sky high and the more this goes on the less valuable tidal will be to Apple Music. Their value is only going down the more AM subscribers. Poor Kanye 
    If Apple buys Tidal I don't see it being a huge deal. Maybe 1B or less.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Obviously this means Apple will soon introduce their own Android phone and that they are doomed.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    cali said:
    triton100 said:

I don't think it should even be that much. I think the value for jay z and Beyoncé etc is for  them  being allowed to come onboard and use Apple Music as a platform to stream their music. That's how they get paid. Why is Kanye demanding a pay check. For what?

The value in beats was for the expertise and input of Jimmy etc which is different- tidal would not bring that, only their catalogue of music which would already get paid for via streaming. Maybe Tidal should be cutting a check for cook to be allowed to stream on Apple Music. 
    calichia
  • Reply 5 of 11
    kamiltonkamilton Posts: 282member
    Like giving glasses of ice water to people in hell!  Boo yah 
    cali
  • Reply 6 of 11
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Is this still showing low rating in Android Market?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    triton100 said:
    cali said:
    I don't think it should even be that much. I think the value for jay z and Beyoncé etc is for  them  being allowed to come onboard and use Apple Music as a platform to stream their music. That's how they get paid. Why is Kanye demanding a pay check. For what?

The value in beats was for the expertise and input of Jimmy etc which is different- tidal would not bring that, only their catalogue of music which would already get paid for via streaming. Maybe Tidal should be cutting a check for cook to be allowed to stream on Apple Music. 

Kanye etc. think Apple would do a repeat of Beats and pay around 3B.

Tidal would bring 3M subscribers, Prince catalogue and a few Tidal contracts and ticket sales(important).

You're right, Beats had way more to offer.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Beats will remain the only streaming service worth the monthly money I give them. I use and love and extol the virtue of Apple Music - but Beats was better, more user friendly and not tied to the iTunes Stores in as restrictive a way as the 1st Party apps are. 

They should be far more concerned about the growing perception that Apple is growing to large.

Resl or imagined they have a target on thier back.

An example of a recent ITunes Store experience. 

Homeland the TV show was purchased allegedly with my cc for my Apple ID and for sure it wasn't me because my family literally works at Showtime. 

Somehow it it was ordered. In any event  - when I called to dispute the charge I was given two options:

1) continue with the claim and have my card banned from the store (which would screw up my job and life because of the apps tied to that card

2) pay for it and suck it up

Anywhere else. Even Big box retail will eat the mistake. Yes Bedt Buy too. Apple ? Nope.

its illegal and they get away with it. It happens in every conceivable context. Apple is growing too large to remain this successful. It should be considered that perhaps Alphabet wasn't just a scammy Wall Street trick 

Services isn't thier core business and it's not the greatest asset. It's profitable but perhaps it shouldn't live next to the the things you can hold and own and touch. They're proving they simply don't have the skill to operate software and hardware at the same quality level concurrently unless ur retired and 400 and don't actually live or die based on the iPhone 

I need Apple to be all these awesome things they aspire to be or be for because it makes me money and Apple Music is a lay up at best and they couldn't even match the ease of use of its template? 

Its probably not Tim or the crew at the top but someone has thier head up thier ass and no one cares in the middle somewhere. 

That sucks. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 9 of 11
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    triton100 said:

Apple shouldn't by Tidal because Kanye is a PR nightmare. In contrast to Dre which is a real asset.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    kevin kee said:
    Is this still showing low rating in Android Market?
    It's better than it was, but hovering around 3.3 out of 5.  That early wave of trolls is slowly being replaced by people who've used it and are more moderate.  Not expecting it to ever hit 4.5 or more, but it won't be in the dumps.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    triton100 said:

On iOS Apple Music is presented as part the ecosystem, for users it is the natural and almost automatic choice, a little bit like Internet Explorer on Windows XP. 
    On Android Apple Music a streaming music app among many others, evaluated purely on its merits. And while the service is great, the app itself is below par.  So no, it will not attract as many customers as on iOS.  The biggest potential will be the family pack where some members of the family have an Android device.