Samsung's new Galaxy Note 7 largely incremental, except for iris scanner

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    When you can't design, you add iris and finger print sensors. 

1. How close does your eye need to be
    2. Eyeglasses/vision impaired. 
    3. How fast 

• Reply 62 of 73
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

OK, apparently it's using an IR light and sensor (part of the front camera). That makes it a bit more secure than just using a normal image of the eye, and less prone to spoofing with a photo or video. It might even make it hard to bypass if you take the user's eye out of its socket and use that (as seen in Minority Report). Presumably using IR would even make it difficult to fool with a contact lens or scleral shell (as seen in Charlie's Angels)

It really all depends on the implementation, and whether using IR is just marketing hype. (Samsung? Marketing hype? Must have them confused with someone else.)

• Reply 63 of 73
    maestro64 said:

I can see it now, watching some idiot holding the phone camera up to your eye to unlock it an pay. Yeah it is going to pure entertainment in the check out lines.

Just last week I had to wait as some Android user try to go through all the steps to pull up his frequent buyer card and get the cashier to scan it then going through the steps to pay, it was an ordeal to say the least. Then I walk up popup apple wallet and scanned my card, then paid with my watch in a matter of a few seconds. People just do not really know how easy Apple made this process. People are still amazed how quickly I do things with the phone and watch.

"With Android Pay you can simply unlock your phone, place it near a contactless terminal, and you’re good to go. You don’t even need to open an app. Tap and pay is that fast, that easy. And when you tap at select merchants, your loyalty points and offers are automatically applied at checkout too."

Source: https://www.android.com/pay/

htatc
  • Reply 64 of 73
    cali said:

Poor guy, can't afford iPhone so you settled for a knockoff. Tough. The biggest laugh for me is how Sammy claims it works just like a stripe and you hold the iKnockoff up to the terminal, yet they wanna add iris scanning? What a clusterf*** and must look silly for knockoff users. Imagine?

Can't afford? The 64GB Note 7 and 64GB iPhone 6s+ are both $850 unlocked.

Clusterf***? Samsung Pay doesn't require custom POS terminals. It Just Works, and in a lot more places than Apple. The Iris scanning is a feature. You can choose not to use it. But the fact is, fingerprint readers are easily tricked and should be used as usernames, not passwords. Even better, set a strong password on your phone, and use your watch to unlock. (Android users can use any Bluetooth watch or even an NFC sticker to unlock - Apple should innovate that).

Don't be a fanboi. We're all lucky to have Samsung and LG to keep Apple competitive and provide market testing for things like large screen phones, slide-down notification and settings panels, side-by-side apps, etc. If Apple would "innovate" home screen widgets and a proper filesystem, I might consider buying one. Though my LG G4 has a 5.5" screen but is 20% smaller and lighter than a 6s+, has higher resolution, a removable battery, expandable memory, RAW/manual camera mode with a better lens, and an endless amount of software features I prefer over Apple for a phone OS (though I still love my iPad).

edited August 2016
  • Reply 65 of 73
    gumbigumbi Posts: 148member
    jungmark said:

3. How fast 

I haven't tried Samsung's implementation - but, this has been a feature on the Lumia 950 and 950XL since they were release last Nov...  Reading about the Samsung implementation, it sounds very similar to the Microsoft implementation (ir light and sensor) - so, I would guess that it has overall similar properties.

1) Distance - I would say about 12 to 14 inches is about the max distance.  It actually doesn't work well when you hold the phone too close to your face.  But works very well at the distance I naturally hold my phone for reading, etc.

2) Yes, it works with glasses.  I use it with my glasses all the time - I've heard from others that it even works with non-mirrored sunglasses.  The trick, at least on the Lumia, is to go back into the iris recognition option a couple of times and train it with and with out glasses.

3)  The MS implementation used to be kind of slow - but, still faster than entering a passcode.  It has actually improved a lot with the recent win10 mobile builds...  So, it's actually pretty fast most of the time.  Maybe 2 seconds average...

As for, accuracy..  It works probably 90-95% of the time.  Because it uses an infered light, it works well in most lighting conditions - the only real problem seems to be bright light.  It has a hard time in direct sunlight.

I am hoping to get a note 7 before the end of the year, and I am interested in testing out Samsung's implementation to see if it is any better.  Of course, I'm sure someone will do a comparison video at some point...

• Reply 66 of 73
    xmhillxxmhillx Posts: 112member
    jungmark said:

3. How fast 

There are videos already on YouTube of hands-on use of the Note 7. MKBHD, Jonathan Morris, and I saw TechnoBuffalo's video where it shows the set up screen with interesting info.

For example:
    - The setup screen says To protect your eyes hold the screen at least 10in from your face and do no stare at the LED sensor for too long. 
    - Use this recognition indoors or away from direct sunlight.
    - Remove your glasses or contact lenses
    - Wearing glasses or contacts while trying to unlock your phone or verify your identity may cause the phone to have difficulty recognizing your irises 
    - Hold the phone 10-14 inches from your face
    - Hold your phone at eye level between 10-14 inches from your face
    - Iris recognition may not perform properly in direct sunlight. For best performance, perform this process indoors

Samsung spells out the possible limitations up front. Fingerprint sensors have limits too, like scuffing up your fingertips (working, sports, etc) may cause it to misread, wet or moist fingertips as well, and I'm not aware of any other limit. The point is that there are limits, however I've never experienced those personally.

Regarding speed, the videos I've seen look insanely fast. More than I expected, for sure. I thought it would be clunky like older face recognition from Samsung.

I still withhold too much judgment until the phones actually come out and get thoroughly tested by users. That's when the nuances come out, rather than all the positives from presentations and quick demos. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 67 of 73
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Fingerprint sensors do have limit, but largely negligible. 99% it's only a nuisance such as to take off your glove and wipe the wet finger. Compare that to:
    - The setup screen says To protect your eyes hold the screen at least 10in from your face and do no stare at the LED sensor for too long. 
    The long term danger of naked eye exposure to LED sensor is a big unknown

Limited in location is a BIG limitation. Why create something as important as unlocking the phone that can only work at certain places?

For those who are wearing contact lenses, you know this is unacceptable. It's practically impractical.

- Wearing glasses or contacts while trying to unlock your phone or verify your identity may cause the phone to have difficulty recognizing your irises 
    See above.

Fingerprint sensors can be done discreetly, without making you looks stupid or attracting too much attention. Not to mention the delay.

See above.

- Iris recognition may not perform properly in direct sunlight. For best performance, perform this process indoors.
    See above.

As usual, Samsung include another half-baked feature without years of testing, research and better implementation. 
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 68 of 73
    igorsky said:
    Funny, I've now seen people do the same with Apple Pay. I then show them how to do it correctly for next time. Even then, sometimes Apple Pay just doesn't work when I've used it at the same pos the day before. Nothing is perfect. Not even Apple pay.
    Apple Pay has worked 100% of the time for me at any pos reader that has supported it.
    Samsung pay has worked for me 100% of the time at any pos. (<--- end of sentence, no conditions like the pos had to fully support it first, it just works, and it works everywhere! its pretty amazing, never need to carry my wallet or look around for a sticker at the pos to see if my phone payment system will work, i already know it will work because it works everywhere.)
  • Reply 69 of 73
    htatchtatc Posts: 1member
    hoodslide said:
    cali said:

Poor guy, can't afford iPhone so you settled for a knockoff. Tough. The biggest laugh for me is how Sammy claims it works just like a stripe and you hold the iKnockoff up to the terminal, yet they wanna add iris scanning? What a clusterf*** and must look silly for knockoff users. Imagine?

Can't afford? The 64GB Note 7 and 64GB iPhone 6s+ are both $850 unlocked.

Clusterf***? Samsung Pay doesn't require custom POS terminals. It Just Works, and in a lot more places than Apple. The Iris scanning is a feature. You can choose not to use it. But the fact is, fingerprint readers are easily tricked and should be used as usernames, not passwords. Even better, set a strong password on your phone, and use your watch to unlock. (Android users can use any Bluetooth watch or even an NFC sticker to unlock - Apple should innovate that).

Don't be a fanboi. We're all lucky to have Samsung and LG to keep Apple competitive and provide market testing for things like large screen phones, slide-down notification and settings panels, side-by-side apps, etc. If Apple would "innovate" home screen widgets and a proper filesystem, I might consider buying one. Though my LG G4 has a 5.5" screen but is 20% smaller and lighter than a 6s+, has higher resolution, a removable battery, expandable memory, RAW/manual camera mode with a better lens, and an endless amount of software features I prefer over Apple for a phone OS (though I still love my iPad).

I came to this website looking for news about iPhones since I am areturning iPhone user. I was hoping to see unbiased coverage and constructive thoughts in the comments section. Unfortunately that is few and far between nowadays (on almost any topic). Glad to see ther are still people out there who can rationally see above a logo and still think rationally and not be a troll or fanboy. 
    dasanman69gwydion
  • Reply 70 of 73
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    kevin kee said:
    Fingerprint sensors do have limit, but largely negligible. 99% it's only a nuisance such as to take off your glove and wipe the wet finger. Compare that to:
    The long term danger of naked eye exposure to LED sensor is a big unknown

Limited in location is a BIG limitation. Why create something as important as unlocking the phone that can only work at certain places?

For those who are wearing contact lenses, you know this is unacceptable. It's practically impractical.

See above.

Fingerprint sensors can be done discreetly, without making you looks stupid or attracting too much attention. Not to mention the delay.

See above.

- Iris recognition may not perform properly in direct sunlight. For best performance, perform this process indoors.
    See above.

As usual, Samsung include another half-baked feature without years of testing, research and better implementation. 
    Some people have tried it with contacts and it worked.  All your strenuous efforts to deride this feature are completely defeated by one simple fact, you can still use the fingerprint sensor if it seems more appropriate.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    cnocbui said:

Some people have tried it with contacts and it worked.  All your strenuous efforts to deride this feature are completely defeated by one simple fact, you can still use the fingerprint sensor if it seems more appropriate.
    Thanks for proving all my points that Samsung iris scanner is just another useless trick for the sake of "me first" if people will eventually only use fingerprints.
  • Reply 72 of 73
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    jungmark said:

3. How fast 

Not sure vision impaired would be a problem per se, but I think cataracts would be an issue! 
  • Reply 73 of 73
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    kevin kee said:
    cnocbui said:

Thanks for proving all my points that Samsung iris scanner is just another useless trick for the sake of "me first" if people will eventually only use fingerprints.
    I think Samung is positioning the iris scanner for use with their secure folder for now. It almost assuredly not worth the time for general phone unlocking. Their "secure folder" tho might make sense for some users to restrict to unlock via iris since that's intended for your most personal/private information. I think it may actually be more useful than some here are giving it credit for. Not for simply unlocking the phone tho IMHO.