Latest Apple diversity report claims US pay equity, modest changes in gender & race

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Wednesday published its latest "Inclusion & Diversity" update, showing small changes in the gender and racial makeup of the company, and the steps the company is taking toward equal pay for people with the same jobs and performance levels.

As of June, the company was 68 percent male and 32 percent female, Apple said on its website. That's a shift of a single percentage point in favor of women.

In the U.S., the company was 56 percent white, 19 percent Asian, 12 percent Hispanic, 9 percent black, and 2 percent multiracial, another 1 percent being gathered into an "other" category. Notably the company actually increased the percentage of white employees 2 points, although Asian and Hispanic numbers were up 1 point apiece.

Less than 1 percent of American staff were undeclared, something Apple credits to "stronger internal processes and employees properly identifying themselves." Most of the people who were previously undeclared turned out to be white, possibly explaining the above demographic shift.

On the pay equity front Apple claims that it has achieved total equity in the U.S. as of August, but is still working on the problem worldwide -- this includes scrutinizing salaries, bonuses, and stock grants. There are no statistics on the company's pay gaps elsewhere.

Like other tech companies Apple has sometimes come under criticism for being predominantly white and male in the U.S. In the past several years, though, the company has tried to adjust its hiring practices at all tiers. Its VP of Worldwide Human Resources, Denise Young Smith, is a black woman, and its retail head is former Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple is mostly white? Who would've ever guessed?

It's not like the company was started by a few white guys or anything like that. :#

Last week I had to go for a check up at a medical center and I of course had to fill out a bunch of forms, while waiting to see the doctor.

One of the questions was of course "what race". I put "other", as it is nobody's business, and I am not interested in racist liberals constantly dividing people up by race. I am an American. I am not a Whatever/Slash/American.
    monstrositytallest skilred oakh2pSpamSandwichawilliams87entropysTurboPGT
  • Reply 2 of 64
    It's a real shame that we can't have a meritocratic society. That we have to punish people for their race, and apple has to publish a report about it. 

I've interviewed hundreds of people, mostly white men.  A woman or minority would have an advantage simply because they are different (and we value genuine diversity, not fake leftist "diversity" which requires strict conformance to their ideology).  

Unfortunately, my teams are mostly white male because those are who apply for the jobs.

The reasons they are the ones who apply for the jobs are because they are the ones who studied STEM in college.

Too many liberals getting degrees in feminist basket weaving and not enough women and minorities getting degrees in STEM areas.

I am in one of those groups that leftists want to protect. They claim that if I don't hire every person in that group that walks thru the door (so that I have "Enough" representation of them) that I am a bigot.

So I'm a bigot against myself? 

apple ][tallest skilred oakh2pSpamSandwichawilliams87stevehentropysTurboPGT
  • Reply 3 of 64
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    Here we go again. 
    SpamSandwichpbrstreetgafrodrientropys
  • Reply 4 of 64
    Somebody should make a movie where all white people on the planet gets wiped out by a mysterious disease hundreds of years ago, and white people just go extinct, they disappear. We would get to see what the planet would look like today without all of the contributions made to mankind by white people, including technology, medicine, political, human rights, and so on, and so on.

It wouldn't be a pretty picture, I can guarantee you that! And you sure as hell wouldn't be sitting here typing on your computer right now, if you lived in such a world. :#
    edited August 2016 tallest skilh2p
  • Reply 5 of 64
    And proved right straight away.
    edited August 2016 Roger_FingaspbrstreetgNemWankevin keeafrodriroundaboutnow
  • Reply 6 of 64
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    apple ][ said:

Last week I had to go for a check up at a medical center and I of course had to fill out a bunch of forms, while waiting to see the doctor.

One of the questions was of course "what race". I put "other", as it is nobody's business, and I am not interested in racist liberals constantly dividing people up by race. I am an American. I am not a Whatever/Slash/American.
    Certain diseases and conditions are more common in different races, so it makes sense for a medical facility to want that information on record in order to improve your health and wellness. Just like they want to know your actual gender, because certain conditions are either more common in or only apply to one gender, although some conditions do affect gay males more often than straight males, and they are not allowed to donate blood, at least in the US, so knowing that information could be helpful as well.
    edited August 2016 Roger_Fingasronnpbrstreetgdsdafrodritopper24hoursiosenthusiastthepixeldoc
  • Reply 7 of 64
    volcan said:
    Certain diseases and conditions are more common in different races, so it makes sense for a medical facility to want that information to improve your health and wellness.
    Informed patients such as myself should never rely on the opinions of average health care workers. 

I am of course aware that certain conditions are more common for certain races, such as diabetes, if somebody is "African-American". 

I always second guess any doctors and medical staff, as mistakes are often made, I've witnessed it myself, especially in today's Obamacare society, which translates into inferior healthcare.

h2psteveh
  • Reply 8 of 64
    apple ][ said:
    volcan said:
    Certain diseases and conditions are more common in different races, so it makes sense for a medical facility to want that information to improve your health and wellness.
    Informed patients such as myself should never rely on the opinions of average health care workers. 

I am of course aware that certain conditions are more common for certain races, such as diabetes, if somebody is "African-American". 

I always second guess any doctors and medical staff, as mistakes are often made, I've witnessed it myself, especially in today's Obamacare society, which translates into inferior healthcare.

They must be so greatful  to have your wisdom and knowledge to help them. 
    ronntallest skilpbrstreetgdsdstourquetopper24hoursiosenthusiastroundaboutnow
  • Reply 9 of 64
    apple ][ said:

... especially in today's Obamacare society, which translates into inferior healthcare.
    In what way? Do you have any specific examples? I have certainly not experienced any decline in the quality of my healthcare.
    edited August 2016 ronntopper24hoursiosenthusiast
  • Reply 10 of 64
    They must be so greatful  to have your wisdom and knowledge to help them. 
    Some of them would no doubt be blessed to posses my knowledge and level of wisdom.

Just because somebody is a nurse or a doctor, that doesn't mean that they can't be clueless, or wrong.

A couple of years ago, my regular doctor wasn't available, so I went to a different clinic, and I ended up walking out with 2 different medicines, which I found out should not be taken together.

It's a good thing that I only trust myself, and not the intern or doctor or whatever they call themselves, who prescribed that medicine.

A few weeks after that, I went to see my regular doctor again, who happens to be competent, and he just shook his head, and he could not believe what the previous clinic had prescribed.

So moral of the story. Don't trust anybody, always double check, and yes, just because somebody is a doctor, that doesn't mean that they aren't clueless or that they can't make mistakes. Take responsibility of matters that affect yourself, and only a complete, ignorant idiot would put blind faith into somebody just because they are a healthcare worker or a doctor or a nurse.
    edited August 2016 h2pSpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    apple ][ said:
    Apple is mostly white? Who would've ever guessed?

It's not like the company was started by a few white guys or anything like that. :#

Assuming that there's a political reason for asking the question just demonstrates your narrow thinking. The reason that they ask these questions (and they're asked all over the world) is to track genetic conditions such as Sickle Cell Anaemia which at one time was thought to only affect people of African descent. It's entirely possible that this was discovered to be false because someone who was not of African descent, answered his questionnaire and opened up a whole new line of scientific enquiry. 

But well done you for proving a point, whatever it was.
    pbrstreetgronndsdtopper24hoursiosenthusiastsplif
  • Reply 12 of 64

apple ][ said:
    volcan said:

You may have a point there. I bet not a single one of those charlatans diagnosed your swollen ego.
    volcantallest skilronndsdtopper24hoursiosenthusiastzoetmbcnocbuidasanman69roundaboutnow
  • Reply 13 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    sog35 said:
    The Chinese invented way more stuff son
    Please, sog. That’s total nonsense.
    SpamSandwichapple ][steveh
  • Reply 14 of 64
    My wife is giving an interview to an independent research firm (hired by her employer) about this very subject next week. She's a manager at a huge business software company.
    /she hires mostly in China and India which means 100% Chinese and 100% Indian respectively.
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Rayz2016 said:

Assuming that there's a political reason for asking the question just demonstrates your narrow thinking. The reason that they ask these questions (and they're asked all over the world) is to track genetic conditions such as Sickle Cell Anaemia which at one time was thought to only affect people of African descent. It's entirely possible that this was discovered to be false because someone who was not of African descent, answered his questionnaire and opened up a whole new line of scientific enquiry. 

But well done you for proving a point, whatever it was.
    There's DNA testing today, and I have no concerns that any of those conditions affect me, so I choose not to participate in their highly inaccurate and flawed poll.

There's also no guarantee that the data would not be used for political or nefarious purposes eventually. There have been numerous govt agencies that have illegally gone after people for political, partisan reasons, such as the IRS.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 16 of 64
    apple ][ said:

There's DNA testing today, and I have no concerns that any of those conditions affect me, 
    The results of a DNA test only indicate prevalence towards certain genetically based conditions. It does not diagnose whether or not you currently have such a condition.
    tallest skilpbrstreetgronniosenthusiastcnocbui
  • Reply 17 of 64

It's a real shame that we can't have a meritocratic society. That we have to punish people for their race, and apple has to publish a report about it. 

I've interviewed hundreds of people, mostly white men.  A woman or minority would have an advantage simply because they are different (and we value genuine diversity, not fake leftist "diversity" which requires strict conformance to their ideology).  

Unfortunately, my teams are mostly white male because those are who apply for the jobs.

The reasons they are the ones who apply for the jobs are because they are the ones who studied STEM in college.

Too many liberals getting degrees in feminist basket weaving and not enough women and minorities getting degrees in STEM areas.

I am in one of those groups that leftists want to protect. They claim that if I don't hire every person in that group that walks thru the door (so that I have "Enough" representation of them) that I am a bigot.

So I'm a bigot against myself? 

That's not what they're claiming; that's how you've chosen to see it.

A diversity policy does not say hire people because they're black and/or female.
    A diversity policy says make sure that you do not overlook the best people because they are black or female. 

You probably can't see it, but there's a big difference.
    pbrstreetgronnafrodristourqueanomeiosenthusiastzoetmbroundaboutnow
  • Reply 18 of 64
    volcan said:
    apple ][ said:

There's DNA testing today, and I have no concerns that any of those conditions affect me, 
    The results of a DNA test only indicate prevalence towards certain genetically based conditions. It does not diagnose whether or not you currently have such a condition.
    Agreed, but a DNA test would be 100% more accurate than a random stranger filling out and freely choosing their "race" on a piece of paper. Most people today are a mixture of various things. That sounds about as accurate as people being able to freely define what sex they are. Oh wait, we already let people do that.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 19 of 64
    apple ][ said:

That sounds about as accurate as people being able to freely define what sex they are. Oh wait, we already let people do that.
    I think you are confusing medical science with political correctness.

I seriously doubt many people are going to lie about their sex, race or age on a medical record, as that could negatively impact their health, diagnoses and treatments.
    pbrstreetgtopper24hoursiosenthusiastroundaboutnow
  • Reply 20 of 64
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    apple ][ said:
    Somebody should make a movie where all white people on the planet gets wiped out by a mysterious disease hundreds of years ago, and white people just go extinct, they disappear. We would get to see what the planet would look like today without all of the contributions made to mankind by white people, including technology, medicine, political, human rights, and so on, and so on.

It wouldn't be a pretty picture, I can guarantee you that! And you sure as hell wouldn't be sitting here typing on your computer right now, if you lived in such a world. :#
    It'd be a world free of misery. Of non oppressed people. We wouldn't need medicine to cure us of the ills created by white people. No engineered food. 

No killing of indigenous people with smallpox, nor plying them with alcohol or opium to incapacitate them. 

Need I go on? That would be a great movie. 
    singularityronniosenthusiastcnocbui