App Store billings reached all-time high in July, $50B paid out to developers

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2016
In a rare tweet extolling the performance of a specific Apple product, CEO Tim Cook on Wednesday said July was a record-breaking month for the App Store, with highest-ever monthly billings and payouts to developers.

Cook followed up the initial tweet by congratulating App Store developers, who have now earned more than $50 billion since Apple's software sales platform launched in 2008. No figures were discussed beyond the massive payout number.

The comments come a week after Apple revealed a record-setting quarter for its services business, which includes iTunes, iCloud, Apple Music, Apple Pay, Apple Care and the various App Stores. Over the past year, revenue from services jumped $4 billion to $23.1 billion. Of note, App Store revenue reached a new all-time high after finishing up 37 percent for the quarter.

During Apple's most recent investor conference call, Cook said Apple's services alone will be the size of a Fortune 100 company next year.

Historically, Cook uses Twitter as a PR service, tweeting out generic updates on current events in the Apple world or commentary on human rights issues. While corporate initiatives often find their way into Cook's tweets, like the Didi Chuxing investment in May, rarely are individual product lines discussed.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Good that cook is doing this and being a bit more proactive in extolling the fact that Apple is far from a dieing company and more an incredible success story 

So annoying to see how much apples stock seems manipulated with so many rumour mill stories of doom and gloom with Apple never setting the record straight. Though I do like how they keep the higher ground without stopping to having to justify themselves to all the haters all the time. 

But I can only imagine the writers who are paid to disseminate stories of Apple ruin being paid  to go to town even further to play down these announcements of company success. 
  • Reply 2 of 16
    That's incredible! Since Apple gets 70% of the revenues, it means that in only 8 years (since 2008) Apple has raked in about $117 Billion, JUST from the App Store alone! And we know that there has been tangental acceleration in annual revenue from the App Store, so a high proportion of that $117 Billion was acquired in the current year.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I contributed by buying my most expensive app yet, which cost $30. Very happy as it replaces something which used to cost thousands.
    mnbob1stevehbaconstang
  • Reply 4 of 16
    jaaycojaayco Posts: 46member
    jurassic said:
    That's incredible! Since Apple gets 70% of the revenues, it means that in only 8 years (since 2008) Apple has raked in about $117 Billion, JUST from the App Store alone! And we know that there has been tangental acceleration in annual revenue from the App Store, so a high proportion of that $117 Billion was acquired in the current year.
    They've certainly made some money, but I'm not sure your calculation is right... Developers get 70% of the revenue... and Apple gets 30%. So that seems to mean that Apple has actually made about $21.5 Billion on my calculations. Still a nice chunk of change, but a "blip" compared to their hardware sales.
    mnbob1stevehtopper24hourspscooter63baconstanglymfnostrathomas
  • Reply 5 of 16
    jurassic said:
    Apple receives 30% of revenues, while content providers receive 70%. ~>$50bn/0.70 = $71.4bn total revenues. Apple received 30% of that total, or $21.4bn.
    gatorguymnbob1fastasleeptopper24hourslondor
  • Reply 6 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    jurassic said:
    Apple receives 30% of revenues, while content providers receive 70%. ~>$50bn/0.70 = $71.4bn total revenues. Apple received 30% of that total, or $21.4bn.
    And remember that split will change for a dev over time now:  http://m.slashdot.org/story/312209
  • Reply 7 of 16
    I contributed by buying my most expensive app yet, which cost $30. Very happy as it replaces something which used to cost thousands.
    Intrigued to know which app this was ? Was it a synth ?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    jurassic said:
    Not sure how you got your information. Why would you think Apple keeps 70% of a developers hard work. If that were the case the App Store would have been a huge failure as would the iPhone. 
  • Reply 9 of 16
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Pokémon for the win!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    sog35 said:
    Finally Cook is using this platform (twitter) to push the COMPANY and its PRODUCTS/SERVICES and not some human rights crusade.

Its time Mr Cook acts more like the CEO of the most valuable company in the universe instead of a CEO of a non-profit.
    Foolish, its that human rights push that makes Tom Cook and by extension Apple, the admired company it is today. Who the hell are u to say the CEO of the most profitable company in the world is not acting like a CEO who wants to make profit??????
    baconstanglymfbadmonk
  • Reply 11 of 16
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    jurassic said:
    Why do I get impression that this comment was deliberately being obtuse.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    kevin kee said:
    jurassic said:
    Why do I get impression that this comment was deliberately being obtuse.

I think it's a genuine mistake.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    sog35 said:
    Finally Cook is using this platform (twitter) to push the COMPANY and its PRODUCTS/SERVICES and not some human rights crusade.

Its time Mr Cook acts more like the CEO of the most valuable company in the universe instead of a CEO of a non-profit.
    Are you really that heartless that you think it's a bad thing when the CEO of the most valuable listed company on Earth fights for human rights? Surely it's the duty of those who have power to help those who don't. The world isn't just about profit
    singularity
  • Reply 14 of 16
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    sog35 said:

Are you really that heartless that you think it's a bad thing when the CEO of the most valuable listed company on Earth fights for human rights? Surely it's the duty of those who have power to help those who don't. The world isn't just about profit
    for some that is all they care about.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    for some that is all they care about.

I think it's more that some people don't appreciate that he has a different view to them on human rights, and don't understand that there might be a link between that and running a company in the modern world.