Apple Music lands exclusive streaming rights to Britney Spears' upcoming album 'Glory'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited August 2016
Apple Music has won another round in the ongoing streaming music war, as Britney Spears on Wednesday announced her new album, "Glory," will be made available exclusively on Apple's service later this month.

Spears revealed the news via Twitter, saying the fresh content for Apple Music subscribers is the "beginning of a new era." The coming studio release will be the ninth for Spears, whose last album, "Britney Jean," was met with mediocre reviews when it debuted in 2013. In the intervening months, Spears has kept busy headlining her own Las Vegas show.

Today's Spears announcement is the latest in a string high-profile wins for Apple's service, and comes as the greater streaming music industry places increased emphasis on so-called "windowed exclusives." These releases, usually a hotly anticipated album from a top artist, are offered during a period of exclusivity ranging from weeks to months. As can be expected, exclusive content is a hot commodity in music streaming, a services business in which the major competitors market access to largely similar media libraries.

A latecomer to the streaming game, Apple is looking to attract chart toppers by creating a "clubhouse" atmosphere. As part of the strategy, Apple collaborates with artists on in-house produced videos and other experimental content, results of which are evidenced in exclusive content from Chance the Rapper, Drake, Eminem, Future, Pharrell, the 1975 and more.

Most recently, reports surfaced on Monday claiming R&B singer Frank Ocean's next effort, "Boys Don't Cry," will be an Apple Music exclusive when it arrives this Friday.

As for "Glory," Britney fans who prefer to own the album can preorder through iTunes at midnight tonight ahead of a debut on Aug. 28. Customers who buy the album early will also be able to download Spears' new single "Private Show," which not coincidentally shares its name with the pop sensation's new perfume fragrance (available at fine retailers everywhere).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Scoring the big ones. Is N'Sync next? Smashmouth? Some other washed up '90s musical act?
    larryaanantksundaram
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Scoring the big ones. Is N'Sync next? Smashmouth? Some other washed up '90s musical act?
    Waiting till 2036 to call you a washed up message board commenter. Till then...
    mac_dogmike1cali
  • Reply 3 of 15
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    People still listen to Britney Spears?
    thewhitefalconanantksundaramdasanman69
  • Reply 4 of 15
    DeelronDeelron Posts: 27member
    Snark aside, a quick search reveals she was the highest paid woman in music as recently as 2012,and ranked 6th in 2015. 

So (as someone who doesn't have the faintest idea what is considered good or popular music now) I'd guess somebody is, so it looks like a good get. 
    edited August 2016 lolliveranton zuykovslprescottnostrathomasmike1calijbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Apple should score a Neil Young exclusive!
    nostrathomas
  • Reply 6 of 15
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    This development is important to me and will change my actions and outlook for the foreseeable future.  </s>
  • Reply 7 of 15
    For all you haters I would love to land Brittney Spears also...just saying...
    jbdragon
  • Reply 8 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Seriously? Britney is HUGE. These are the exclusives Apple needs. I just don't understand the "windowed" exclusives much, seems pathetic.

Except Britney hasn't broken up and has hits as recent as a few years ago.

Maybe go enjoy your "new" "hip" Chance The Rapper exclusive.

• Reply 9 of 15
    cali said:
    Seriously? Britney is HUGE. These are the exclusives Apple needs. I just don't understand the "windowed" exclusives much, seems pathetic.

Except Britney hasn't broken up and has hits as recent as a few years ago.

Maybe go enjoy your "new" "hip" Chance The Rapper exclusive.

I don't subscribe to any streaming service, since I like owning my music. 
  • Reply 10 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Your superiority complex is a site to behold.
    jbdragon
  • Reply 11 of 15
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Are you one of those who traverse the Internet to cyber bully families who lost a child to drugs?
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I'm pretty sure there are more people listening to Britney Spears than there are people listening to you. 
  • Reply 13 of 15
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Aren't these exclusives akin to the old record labels signing up artists?
    I suppose it's one way for artists to make money since royalties from streaming is so paltry.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I'm pretty sure there are more people listening to Britney Spears than there are people listening to you. 
    Well played.

Likely the reaction was "Oops I did it again!"
  • Reply 15 of 15
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    lets hope sales do not crater... Because then it will be a "Glory Hole". /rimshot